Is there always a Mariners embarkation lunch?

Hgwells01

On NCL no.

On Princess I have heard that they always are ready when boarding but won't know for sure until next week! :D

Are they ready right away on HAL?

They are supposed to be, and I can't recall any times since this started that they haven't been. It was implemented a three-ish years ago if I recall correctly.

(Watch, someone will post that it's been a LOT longer than 3 years, and I'll sit here thinking "wow, I'm getting old" :eek: :D )

On NCL no.

On Princess I have heard that they always are ready when boarding but won't know for sure until next week! :D

Are they ready right away on HAL?

On my last 2 cruise with hal the cabins were not ready. That was on the Westerdam and the NA. I guess it's because they were too busy getting the MDR ready:D.

Cool to know. Thanks!!

Will I also get one of those lovely Delft tiles? Not to sound greedy but they are just so darn cute! :rolleyes:

No not at all, some mariners actually like them.:) There are two lunches, one is the welcome aboard lunch for mariners (first day you board) and then there is the mariner award lunch (more at the end of the cruise). The later is where you get the tiles. If you can't go for some reason, you can go to the front desk or if in a suite, the Neptune and ask for one.

Are the cabins on NCL and Princess ready when the new pax board? I've always thought that was one of the reasons that MDR was restricted -- that so many of the crew are prepping the cabins etc in preparation for the new pax so there would not be enough crew (front and back of house) to deal with an entire dining room full of people.

The MDR staff doesn't deal with getting cabins ready so I don't understand what that would have to do with it. >SNIP<

I said I thought that was one of the reasons. I'll defer to you. :)

Edited by CowPrincess

• 4 months later...

I just got back from a 7 day cruise on the MS Amsterdam and there was no Mariners lunch on the day of boarding. I even asked the lady checking me in and she said that they were not doing it. There was however a Mariners reception in the Crow's Nest with complimentary champagne and mimosas + assorted snacks like sushi, pate, shrimp cocktail by the piece. The lido buffet had panko breaded fried chicken tenders, prime rib & gravy, creamed spinach and a cheddar potato soup.

Pic:

http://i57.tinypic.com/2qb7xoi.jpg

they went a little crazy with the gravy but I didn't mind because it was delicious. EDIT: no pics I guess

Edited by rdf145

Norwegian has the MDR open to all passengers on embarkation day. Of course, MDR food is not NCL's strongest point

Equally HAL's MDR is little different, quality has dropped to rock bottom in the last 18 months. Don't build up your hopes as you will surely be disappointed.................

Edited by jody75

Equally HAL's MDR is little different, quality has dropped to rock bottom in the last 18 months. Don't build up your hopes as you will surely be disappointed.................

Can you expound on the quality dropping? I didn't see anything wrong with what I was being served quality wise.

Our wacky little 3-day cruise from May was a little different. There was no Mariner lunch, and no tiles distributed onboard, even after asking at the front desk. I was able to send an email to customer service and get tiles sent to me within days, but none onboard....

That being said, the MDR was open for lunch and we ate there with no issue... and it was a good way to start our trip. The menu and pics are on the review below if you want to end up hungry.

You can't always count on the dining room being opened on embarking. On my recent cruise, there was a special private luncheon being held for local officials and the Princess of Netherlands. This also delayed boarding by about an hour, but they served sandwiches and cold drinks in the waiting area. However, I received an invitation for a special mariner's reception in the Crow's Nest for 4-5pm - so this seemed like a substitute. Or a new tradition?

Still had the usual Mariner's luncheon on last sea day with tiles, set menu, etc.

On our last cruise (in January) they had a "group" event for some local charity. They boarded first (before event the suite passengers). They had lunch in the upper dining area. We still were able to do the Mariner Lunch in the lower dining area, but the menu was slightly changed from the normal one (it must have been the same as the group's) and unfortunately the announcements and discussion from above negatively impacted our lunch and conversations.

I wonder if we were on the same cruise? On Westerdam in January, we had a charity group upstairs and they were VERY loud, especially when they got to the raffle or silent auction or whatever it was. It was funny at first, but then it got annoying.

On our 4 HAL cruises since the welcome lunch began, we've always been able to attend. But sometimes the "rejection" can be awkward. Friends who were one-star arrived at the MDR, and were greeted with something like "Welcome aboard!" The maître d' picked up menus, then looked again at their cards and said "Sorry, we aren't taking one-star mariners today."

Can you expound on the quality dropping? I didn't see anything wrong with what I was being served quality wise.

Last time I cruised HAL was on the Noordam in February 2013, it got so bad I switched to Celebrity. We are 4star Mariners and up to then HAL was excellent, the last cruise emphasised the drop in service and the poor quality of food to an unacceptable standard.

Celebrity is a class apart and is definitely my cruiseline of choice but have recently booked a last minute cheap 7 night HAL cruise to the Fjords as the itinerary was excellent. Since we have serious concerns on the MDR we have booked the Pinnacle Grill for the whole cruise, as I am not prepared to take the chance on the MDR spoiling our short break.

Mariner Embarkation Lunch is to very soon ( if not already on most of the ships) a thing of the past and ANYONE can go to the Main Dining Room for lunch not just Mariners :) So you have you choice where you want to dine upon Embarkation.

Mariner Embarkation Lunch is to very soon ( if not already on most of the ships) a thing of the past and ANYONE can go to the Main Dining Room for lunch not just Mariners :) So you have you choice where you want to dine upon Embarkation.

On our June 15th, Statendam cruise there was no embarkation lunch for Mariners, and the dining room was closed for a private party!! I think we

ended up at the dive in!

You can't always count on the dining room being opened on embarking. On my recent cruise, there was a special private luncheon being held for local officials and the Princess of Netherlands. This also delayed boarding by about an hour, but they served sandwiches and cold drinks in the waiting area. However, I received an invitation for a special mariner's reception in the Crow's Nest for 4-5pm - so this seemed like a substitute. Or a new tradition?

Still had the usual Mariner's luncheon on last sea day with tiles, set menu, etc.

Yes, I believe there was a Welcome Mariner's reception on our cruise on June 15, the dining room was closed for a private "something". there was a

Mariners luncheon later in the cruise, where we got our tiles!