Disneyland before cruise

DevCruise

My 1 yr old son and I will be arriving for a Carnival cruise out of Long Beach this November. In looking at the map, I noticed that I'm a stones throw from Disneyland and couldn't resist trying to make this work.

My initial plan was to fly in on Sunday, get a shuttle to the Queen Mary, and then walk over to the cruise terminal the next day. Even found a shuttle service that will provide a car seat so that I don't have to bring one from Virginia with me.

Now that I found Disneyland, I'm debating flying in a day early to walk around the park and see/do whatever I can with my son. I know he won't remember it, but I will and I always wanted to go.

So here's where I feel like I'm putting too much thought into this. I either need a way from the hotel to Disneyland and back that would provide a car seat (don't want to be lugging this around Disney). Or would need to stay close to Disney and would then need a ride from LAX to the hotel and then to the ship.

I entertained the idea of renting a car, but that seemed to be more of a hindrance than a help.

Anybody have any ideas? :confused:

I think you can do this. Take a look at Payless Airport Shuttle. They have a number of routes that include LAX, San Pedro cruise ship terminal, and Disneyland.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

I think you can do this. Take a look at Payless Airport Shuttle. They have a number of routes that include LAX, San Pedro cruise ship terminal, and Disneyland.

Should have added: they provide car seats .

I'd stay near Disney then go to port. Only two shuttles needed. One to Disney and the second to port.

Instead of Disney, check out Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. It's on the free Passport bus. The bus stop is in the Queen Mary parking lot.

Look on a Disney board. November is a traditional time between Halloween and Christmas. Some attractions might be closed.

Edited by SadieN

Disneyland is definitely a special place. We took ours for the first time at about that age. They may not remember but they enjoy.

SadieN has a good point about periodic closures. No matter what time of year you go, something will be closed because they have continuous maintenance. You can check on their very informative website. But plenty will be open and especially with such a little one, ther will be plenty to enjoy.

Disneyland also has a bus that goes directly from LAX to Disneyland. Not sure of the price but I know it exists. Tons of hotels within a walking distance. Then you just have to worry about getting to the port. You don't need a car seat for the bus. I'd also stay near Disneyland. Sure there are always things closed but, seriously, you can't do everything anyway. They close Small World and Haunted Mansion every season to decorate. You can call ahead and check with them if that is a big deal.

Disneyland also has a bus that goes directly from LAX to Disneyland. Not sure of the price but I know it exists. Tons of hotels within a walking distance. .

Plus Disneyland runs an excellent frequent shuttle to many nearby hotels, if you should happen to end up in a hotel a little farther away.

Also check the shuttle bus service (large motorcoach) between LAX and the DL area hotels. http://www.graylineanaheim.com/airport_info.cfm

I'd use Uber from DL to the port since you will have a car seat.

There are storage lockers of various sizes at DL; call them to see if a car seat will fit.

From personal experience and living 30 minutes from DL, young ones will need a nap and will "zonk out" early after a long stimulating day. I assume you will have a stroller; I recall DL also rents them. That will limit your visit to a portion of their full open hours....you need to decide whether it's worth the $99 admission (your infant is free). I recommend against the more expensive "park hopper" ticket....decide on one park or the other; there won't be enough time to see both in a single day w/ an infant.

The Orange County / Anaheim boards on Tripadvisor have many DL experts.

Ok. I think I have this figured out. Sorry for the delay in coming back here to respond. I wanted to make sure I had something before doing so.

Right now I'm waiting to see what my friends are doing that I'm traveling with as well as my job situation, but what I'm looking at doing is booking the Howard Johnson right outside Disney. Taking the Disneyland Resort Express to the hotel. Will walk to Disney from there and then I found a ride service called OnTime from one of the other forum posts on here to get us from the hotel to the pier and from the pier to the hotel. And with all five of us, the charges become reasonable.

I still would have liked to have stayed on the Queen Mary, but reading up on what the city has done to her, the value in doing so has been lost to me. Plus the additional travel isn't worth it. And doing it this way, I don't have to bring car seats I won't use. :)

Plans might shift, but for now this seems workable and is a very marginal cost above the costs I'm already incurring for the cruise. Thanks everyone. :)

Taking the Disneyland Resort Express to the hotel. Will walk to Disney from there and then I found a ride service called OnTime from one of the other forum posts on here to get us from the hotel to the pier and from the pier to the hotel.

And doing it this way, I don't have to bring car seats I won't use. :)\

Confirm that OnTime will provide the car seat. The latest CA law requires all kids to be properly restrained. This applies to *all* vehicles except for large buses (like the DL Resort Express) and motocycles :)

A 1yo has to be in the back seat, in a rearward-facing child seat (not a booster). If stopped, you (the parent) will be cited, not the driver.

Taxis, limos, shuttle vans, etc. were exempt but that changed (IIRC) in 2014. Be sure you're looking at the newest version of the law.

I already checked with them. The car seat is included for free. If you go through the online system, it even asks which one you need.

That was part of my frustration with trying to arrange things. Seems companies doing "shared" services won't provide the seats, but the "private" ones will.

Edited by DevCruise

No matter what your plans, I would certainly plan to arrive at least a day ahead anyway (no matter what city your cruise is leaving from, no matter where you're coming from, no matter what time of year) as there's so many ways your flight can get delayed.

One caveat is that November is the start of our rainy season and a "El Nino" is predicted (and will certainly be welcomed by Californians to help with our drought). So it's possible that it may be raining. DL will be open but you may not want to go even if your stroller has a canopy. I wouldn't purchase an advance ticket in that case (unless it's just a few days before and rain isn't predicted).

Hojos is a great place. I like the internal hallways. It backs up to I 5 and some of the rooms are quite noisy. Ask for a room away from the highway if possible. You can walk to the parks from there. Homeless people camp out along Harbor blvd but they really do not bother people and there is always many others walking with you.

Depending on when you cruise in November, you may see the Christmas decorations. Most of the rides were refurbished in the winter/spring of this year in preparing for the 60 th celebration. So few will be down. IASW will be down right after Halloween until Nov 12 or so for the Holiday overlay. Park crowds will be less up until about 10 days prior to Thanksgiving.

There is an active "board" dedicated to Disney. It operates under a name of an item to eat off of. (Not a bowl or cup, but closer to a plate. ) it has the name board following the dinning object and then Disney following that. You can google it.

Rain is possible this time of year as another poster reported. I always take a poncho or 2. Dry socks and extra pair of walking shoes.

Karmel shuttle is another one of the shuttle expresses, not sure about the car seat thing. The Disneyland Resort bus will visit all of the hotels in the area with the Disney resort hotels first. Hojos will be one of the last stops.

Enjoy Walt's Park.

There is an active "board" dedicated to Disney. It operates under a name of an item to eat off of. (Not a bowl or cup, but closer to a plate. ) it has the name board following the dinning object and then Disney following that. You can google it.

Wow.... okay. I go to D-land a lot and haven't a guess what your clue is. You don't have to be so cryptic. What is it, a glass? There are tons of Disney websites. Why not just tell us what it is or at least give better clues.

Rain is possible this time of year as another poster reported. I always take a poncho or 2. Dry socks and extra pair of walking shoes.

We live in So Cal.and have gone to Disneyland for many years. Don't be afraid of going in the rain. Maybe not a torrential downpour but a light rain is not a problem. It keeps the crowds away. They sell cheap rain ponchos on site. We've had good times there on rainy days.

We live in So Cal.and have gone to Disneyland for many years. Don't be afraid of going in the rain. Maybe not a torrential downpour but a light rain is not a problem. It keeps the crowds away. They sell cheap rain ponchos on site. We've had good times there on rainy days.

I agree we go in the rain as well. Many times people exit and the lines become shorter as you said. Added benefit. I like having a second pair of shoes, though If not with me at least back at the hotel.

Once a few years ago though, it was awful. Even then we went the Grand California. Hot chocolate time.

No matter what your plans' date=' I would certainly plan to arrive at least a day ahead anyway (no matter what city your cruise is leaving from, no matter where you're coming from, no matter what time of year) as there's so many ways your flight can get delayed.

One caveat is that November is the start of our rainy season and a "El Nino" is predicted (and will certainly be welcomed by Californians to help with our drought). So it's possible that it may be raining. DL will be open but you may not want to go even if your stroller has a canopy. I wouldn't purchase an advance ticket in that case (unless it's just a few days before and rain isn't predicted).[/quote']

Buying an advance ticket doesn't get us anything that I can tell, so was just going to buy at the gate and definitely coming in a day early. Two if I end up doing disney. :)

I will be on the ship. Not waving at it pulling out. Not only that, but logistically it's just not possible in my opinion. The only flight I could find right now that would be same day gets in right when Carnival starts boarding.

It is doable. You could fly into the Santa Ana airport and take a taxi to a Disneyland area hotel, then arrange a shuttle to the ship. You could then fly home from LAX or Long Beach depending on what airline you choose. Another possibility is to fly round trip to Long Beach on Delta or Jet Blue and arrange for a shuttle to a Disneyland area hotel. Going to Disneyland would be easier & shorter from Santa Ana or Long Beach airports vs LAX. Have a good time whatever you decide. If you do go to Disneyland make sure you bring a stroller to make your day easier.

...........If you do go to Disneyland make sure you bring a stroller to make your day easier.

I'd rent a stroller if you're not planning on bringing one.

And leave something cheap and personal in it or tie a balloon onto it. Our good umbrella stroller was stolen outside Pirate's. Disney security took a report and arranged a rental for us. The guard said if we had left the diaper bag in it probably wouldn't have been taken.

It is doable. You could fly into the Santa Ana airport and take a taxi to a Disneyland area hotel, then arrange a shuttle to the ship. You could then fly home from LAX or Long Beach depending on what airline you choose. Another possibility is to fly round trip to Long Beach on Delta or Jet Blue and arrange for a shuttle to a Disneyland area hotel. Going to Disneyland would be easier & shorter from Santa Ana or Long Beach airports vs LAX. Have a good time whatever you decide. If you do go to Disneyland make sure you bring a stroller to make your day easier.

Or fly into LAX and take the Disneyland shuttle bus. I don't think I'd take a taxi that far. Not sure of the price but it sounds more expensive.