Just got back from Viking Star Athens to Venice

G. GIRL

We have had an incredible journey on the Viking Star. I shall do a review but if anyone has any questions fire away!

No question, but we had a fabulous time on this same cruise on the same ship last spring. Not surprised you had a great journey!

I shall do a review but if anyone has any questions fire away!

Definitely looking forward to your review of excursions you took. We too are extending in Venice and considering a private tour.

My DH and I are taking this cruise next April to celebrate our 25th anniversary. I would love to hear which excursions you did, and what you thought.

We will be arriving in Athens the day of departure, but have business class air booked, so hoping we are rested on arrival, so we can see some sights the first day.

I am looking forward to your review (and am excited about our first Viking cruise)

Robin

Glad you had a great trip! We'll be returning to Star in June. How did you like the ship? Crew? Food? Drinks? I guess I have to wait for the review...lol will be waiting for it and thank you in advance! :)

Definitely looking forward to your review of excursions you took. We too are extending in Venice and considering a private tour.

Hi, we hired a private guide from ‘tours by locals’. It isn’t cheap but the places she showed us we would have never found on our own. Part of the trip went to the glass factory and was fascinating. When they take you through the showroom they say their is no obligation to buy but they hope you will. Oh, and the prices will make your toes curl up !

My DH and I are taking this cruise next April to celebrate our 25th anniversary. I would love to hear which excursions you did, and what you thought.

We will be arriving in Athens the day of departure, but have business class air booked, so hoping we are rested on arrival, so we can see some sights the first day.

I am looking forward to your review (and am excited about our first Viking cruise)

Robin

Hi, you have good need to look forward, the ships are amazing. Excursion wise, we enjoyed all we did but I will say that if you dock in Zadar go to the Krka National Park it is absolutely beautiful and would have hated to have missed seeing it.

We are doing the reverse itinerary, starting in Venice and with the add on tour in Athens. Looking forward to your review, and thanks in advance for taking the time to post your review.

Hi, you will love the ship. I’ve not had an email to say my review has been posted yet, they said it could be a few days. The itinerary is excellent and although we knew little about Montenegro it was one of our favourite places.

We’ll be on the Star in just over 2 weeks! 1st time Viking. How was the food? What was your favorite dish?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, the food is out of this world. The ribeye steak in Manfredies is delicious. If you think the buffet restaurant will be inferior to the other options, think again. That was like no buffet I’ve ever seen before, fantastic! This was our first time on Viking and I’m sure it won’t be our last.

Travelling Aug. 12- Venice-Athens on the Orion. I look forward to your review although I realize we are on a different ship. Any travel tips about cruising with Viking and port related tips are most welcome.

Hi, tips about Viking, just go !

Port tips are - in Croatia if you want to buy something ask if the take euros or pay by card otherwise you need local currency. I bought a replacement pair of sunglasses from a little market in Zadar port and they took euros no problem.

Sensible shoes, getting on and off the water taxis and boats in Venice is ‘interesting ‘ the boats are moving and the pontoon landing stations are moving too!

Glad you had a great trip! We'll be returning to Star in June. How did you like the ship? Crew? Food? Drinks? I guess I have to wait for the review...lol will be waiting for it and thank you in advance! :)

Hi, the crew and room stewards were lovely. The food, top notch. The drinks outside of the included ones we found very reasonable price wise. You already know the ship is beautiful, lucky you going again!

We are Athens-Venice in April 2019. It will be our first ocean cruise (we did Viking River Cruise a couple years ago). Looking forward to your review...especially interested in excursion experiences!

Hi, you will not be disappointed with ocean cruise. Excursions I believe can change from year to year but I hope they keep Zadar for your trip to be able to see the Krka National Park, it’s beautiful.

Hi, you have good need to look forward, the ships are amazing. Excursion wise, we enjoyed all we did but I will say that if you dock in Zadar go to the Krka National Park it is absolutely beautiful and would have hated to have missed seeing it.

We found that the included excursion in Zadar was the least interesting of all our shore excursions, perhaps because the guide was not up to the standards of our other guides. You were fortunate to take an optional excursion that you loved. With the ship docked right in the heart of the town, you could still take a walk around after your optional tour just for a quick look-see.

Can you, or anyone, tell me if there is a venue open for lunch that offers table service? Buffets or self service and I don't get along.

Thanks.

Hi, no there isn’t table service at lunch time primarily because most of the passengers are on excursions and get back at varying times.

As a previous passenger on a P&O ship, trust me I get your reluctance to embrace a self service buffet. The World Cafe on Viking, I promise you is a totally different beast. There are no crowds pushing and shoving. You can always get a table. You can eat outside if you want to. The food you are able to choose is top quality and if you can’t see what you want just ask. We heard guests asking for things not on show and where ever possible the chefs would do their best to oblige. I never thought our most visited eatery on this cruise would be the World Cafe but it was......and I’m fussy !

Hi, the food is out of this world. The ribeye steak in Manfredies is delicious. If you think the buffet restaurant will be inferior to the other options, think again. That was like no buffet I’ve ever seen before, fantastic! This was our first time on Viking and I’m sure it won’t be our last.

Thanks! That’s great info!

Hello and thanks for answering questions and doing the review G. Girl. Will you also post your review here?

I’m thinking of doing a Venice to Athens cruise in 2020...Viking has two slightly different itineraries on this route Empires of the Mediterranean (10days)and Venice the Adriatic & Greece (8days), which did you do? Was there a reason you picked one instead of the other? I’m having a bit of difficulty deciding between the two as I would really like to visit both Split and Santorini and neither itinerary offers both. Right now Empires of the Mediterranean (Santorini) is slightly ahead.

Hello and thanks for answering questions and doing the review G. Girl. Will you also post your review here?

I’m thinking of doing a Venice to Athens cruise in 2020...Viking has two slightly different itineraries on this route Empires of the Mediterranean (10days)and Venice the Adriatic & Greece (8days), which did you do? Was there a reason you picked one instead of the other? I’m having a bit of difficulty deciding between the two as I would really like to visit both Split and Santorini and neither itinerary offers both. Right now Empires of the Mediterranean (Santorini) is slightly ahead.

We did Empires last spring, and I think that is the same one G.Girl just did, as she talked about Zadar, which is on this itinerary. I give this cruise two big thumbs up. I haven't been to Split, so no slight on that port, but Santorini is spectacular. We were there in early April, and were lucky enough to be the only ship in port that day. We got to have this amazing place practically to ourselves. It's hard to say whether Santorini or Dubrovnik were our favorites.

Another point in this itinerary's favor is that it is two days longer that the other one you are considering. If you are traveling a long way, a few extra days are a bonus.