Lanyards

PenyFan1960

I wouldn't say lanyards are the "norm" on Cunard cruises although you will see some passengers wearing lanyards on Cunard ships. I keep my card in my wallet. DW often wears her card on a lanyard when she is out and about during the day but not to dinner in the evening when it's more formal.

Regards, John

Are lanyards for ship ID cards the norm on Cunard cruises? They sound a good idea.

You rarely see them worn on Cunard ships. Personally, I don't like them, just reminds of cheaper cruise lines (I know I am going to get flamed for this comment):):)

Not unless you want to look like a member of staff.

That's the best chuckle I've had all week :'):'):') Have to agree with you, I can't understand why anyone would want to have one dangling around their neck all day. ( sorry to my American cousins, but it appears to be mainly an American thing ;) ) The exception would be for those who may be physically challenged or who have to rely on a mobility scooter etc.

I had to wear one daily before I retired and for corporate conferences, you are on vacation for goodness sake, stick your key in your back pocket or ask the other half to stick it in his or her bag.;)

Edited by Bell Boy

They sell a selection of lanyards in the shops on the ships. Never used one myself though.

Hopefully those who purchase one onboard will pack it away, take it home ! and promote Cunard around the office or at their next corporate conference . ;)

I’m not a member of staff nor put up door decorations and sorry if I remind you of ‘cheaper cruise lines’, but I do use a lanyard on my cruises. I wear clothes onboard without pockets, and I don’t want to carry a handbag around with me so I do keep my card on a lanyard so that I don’t lose it. I do put it under my tshirt or top so it’s not visible and never wear it in the evening.

So sorry if my wearing a lanyard upsets or annoys anyone, but it works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

Well, I thought that lanyards were popular on some cruise ships because I saw a post somewhere which said that the plastic ID card was automatically hole punched on issue to take a lanyard clip.

Obviously, not Cunard!

Well, I thought that lanyards were popular on some cruise ships because I saw a post somewhere which said that the plastic ID card was automatically hole punched on issue to take a lanyard clip.

Obviously, not Cunard!

No, there are no holes punched in Cunard ID cards. When lanyards are used, I think they are usually the kind with a plastic sleeve to hold the card.

I wear clothes onboard without pockets, and I don’t want to carry a handbag around with me so I do keep my card on a lanyard so that I don’t lose it.

I remember striking this problem on my first cruise. What do I do with my keycard? Our first port was katakolon and I went out and bought a very small leather cross-body bag for cruise use. It keeps my hands free. It holds my card, tissues, sweets (when I have a cough) and my ipod in the old days. Now I have a slightly larger one that holds my ipad too.

It works for me! I obviously need more than just a lanyard.

I use a lanyard for my card however it’s attached to my handbag with the card dangling inside. Easy to find in my vast sack! I do wear it round my neck but inside my clothes when going off ship. This is simply because I’ve been robbed ashore and so spread my stuff around now. I’m not a sunbather but I’d imagine they must be handy poolside too. In my experience Cunard seem to cater for all and whatever you do you will not be alone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I normally only sail Cunard or Disney. Too vastly different experiences but about the same cost (Disney has a real racket going on cost! :rolleyes:) Lanyards: Cunard - almost never. Disney: 90%. I don’t wear one on either ship. It’s in my purse or pocket during the day, in a sequined clutch at night. But almost everyone else seems to on a more family oriented line.

No, there are no holes punched in Cunard ID cards. When lanyards are used, I think they are usually the kind with a plastic sleeve to hold the card.
If your lanyard is of the type that requires a hole in the card, guest services/purser will happily put a hole in the end for you.

If your lanyard is of the type that requires a hole in the card, guest services/purser will happily put a hole in the end for you.

Thanks Underwatr, I did not know that.

So then, is what BigMac1953 mentioned about holes being punched in cards to distinguish under 18's no longer the case, or perhaps is the location/size/shape of the punched hole different in the cards of under 18's? Never having traveled with an under 18, I didn't know about that either.

Regards, John

My only experience with other holes in cards was last weekend on HAL where we cleared US Immigration in Key West the day before disembarkation in Port Everglades. They punched our cards to indicate we had cleared but it was a unique hole shape, nothing close to a round lanyard punch.