Free instant messaging on Regal

lippi1970

Hi everybody, I will be onRegal Princess in July.

Anyone can tell me about free instant messaging with whatsapp and Facebook? I’m not sure I could use it to keep in touch with my family at home or only with my Cruise fellows.

Thanks in advance

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/*****-preview-modules/free-messaging.html

My understanding Is that the only internet available on the ship while it is at sea is via the ship's satellite connection. For this there is a charge. If you go to My Princess, you can find the choices.

While in most ports you can find free internet. Likely places are the cruise terminal and business like McDonalds and Starbucks. Another option is to follow the crew. They know where the free locations are.

I was on the Regal in April. Messaging through Facebook and WhatsApp is now free for all passengers through the Social Ocean app. You can contact anyone through those apps without wasting internet minutes. It's the same as using Princess@Sea which can be done for free. I also think just being on Facebook is free, but I can't remember exactly.

• Like 1

We were on the Regal in February. We were told that WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger would be free by connecting to the ship intranet. I don't know if that will always be the case, or if it because the Ocean Medallion was not working for all on the cruise. We used it and it was great to keep in touch with family and friends.

We were also given unlimited internet for free, due to the Ocean Medallion issue, instead of only a certain number of free internet minutes that we normally receive for platinum/elite members.

We were on the Regal in March and once you log into the ship's wifi you can then use your Facebook messenger or even text messages. We had free internet due to our level, but for those who paid it was not expensive. We even Facetimed our family, sent photos via text messages and made cell phone calls. It was great for us since we like to stay in touch with family.

• Like 1

Great to know. We were on in November and didn't know about that free access. i use both apps and am glad to know that I can use that in the Baltic this summer. I generally use WhatsApp to keep in touch by phone and text on occasion.

No To the Star. Sorry.

All other Princess ships have old school messaging. You see the person across the room and you , YELL. - I see it all the time while on the ships. Works pretty well. Except with Uncle Dave, he’s a bit hard of hearing.

• Haha 1

I was on the Regal in April. Messaging through Facebook and WhatsApp is now free for all passengers through the Social Ocean app. You can contact anyone through those apps without wasting internet minutes. It's the same as using Princess@Sea which can be done for free. I also think just being on Facebook is free, but I can't remember exactly.

I have heard of the social option for purchasing Internet time, but have not heard of the Social Ocean app. Can you explain what this app is and where you found it?

No To the Star. Sorry.

All other Princess ships have old school messaging. You see the person across the room and you , YELL. - I see it all the time while on the ships. Works pretty well. Except with Uncle Dave, he’s a bit hard of hearing.

Bummer. Thank you. Lol, on the old-school messaging!

I have heard of the social option for purchasing Internet time, but have not heard of the Social Ocean app. Can you explain what this app is and where you found it?

It was an app I was able to download prior to my cruise through the Apple App Store. I can't seem to find a link to it now. Some others have said you don't need to go through the app, though. Facebook/ Messenger should just work as long as you are connected to the intranet.

We were on in November and didn't know about that free access.

I know!!!! We didn't find out until Thursday of the Sun-Sun sailing. :( Hubby noticed that he kept getting FB notifications even in airplane mode - we asked CS and voila, it's free!

• 5 months later...
5 minutes ago, Derryank said:

So....FB, FB Messenger and WhatsApp are free aboard the Regal Princess? Sailing in a few days... no internet package required? Thanks so much for your help

The intranet on board is free. It allows you to connect to the ship's information and if set up to other passengers. If you connect to the ship's internet (what's app, facebook) there is a fee. Plans can be found on your cruise personlizer.

1 hour ago, Derryank said:

So...intranet communication is between passengers aboard the ship. To call the US and so on via those app, one would require to purchase the internet package. 

Appreciate your input. 

Yes and yes. As long as you use wi-fi internet service. If you use cellular service you will incur large charges. Place your device in airplane mode.

So....FB, FB Messenger and WhatsApp are free aboard the Regal Princess? Sailing in a few days... no internet package required? Thanks so much for your help

So...intranet communication is between passengers aboard the ship. To call the US and so on via those app, one would require to purchase the internet package. 

Appreciate your input. 

We were on Regal in  September (about 5 weeks ago) now going back on Regal in a  few days.  IF  they still offer "free internet" then it will work the same as using your home internet. I did use FaceTime and Facebook but  I am sure other apps will work as well.

So,  if you have a Facebook account,  you DON'T have to have paid (or complimentary) internet access to message back home.

We might have the free internet offered to Platinum. Elite, etc...  as I am hoping that this is still offered when we board soon.

But, if not...  FB messenger would be enough...   And there are also the initial free minutes offered.  So, we would not buy a package.

58 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

So,  if you have a Facebook account,  you DON'T have to have paid (or complimentary) internet access to message back home.

We might have the free internet offered to Platinum. Elite, etc...  as I am hoping that this is still offered when we board soon.

But, if not...  FB messenger would be enough...   And there are also the initial free minutes offered.  So, we would not buy a package.

You DO have to have an internet plan to use facebook. I may be lacking in my technical information, but Facebook either uses internet or cellular service to operate. If you use the ship's internet you must have an internet plan, either purchased or complimentary. If you use cellular you will be charged the cellular rate which is around $2.50/min. plus any additional charges from you carrier.

Not sure where all this "free" info is coming from. No they are not free. Either you have free minutes per your Captains Circle status, if they are still giving free unlimited internet onboard (Platinum/Elite) while they install Medallion, or you purchase an internet package. 

Yes, it is confusing...

So, on the Regal, maybe you can't send messages thru some of these messenger APPS just thru the Princess Medallion Net...

The ability to message is really all that we would need...  And we would have some minutes due to Captain's Circle Level.

We will def. get the package if it is necessary!

Edited by Wishing on a star

On 5/17/2018 at 10:36 AM, Lskravy said:

Started here