Are you a "Pier Runner" watcher?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:38 PM.
3,702 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Our last cruise in March, we were in Jamaica. I was AMAZED at how many people just "strolled" down the pier PAST the time they were supposed to be on board.
No, it was not an excursion. People were coming from different directions.
About 15 minutes later....about 5 or 6 people are RUNNING down the pier.

We were sitting on our balcony enjoying a glass of wine and all of a sudden we hear everyone screaming...RUN..RUN...RUN....

My husband and I stood up and looked around..EVERYONE was on their balconies cheering on these people. Lol OMG.

We have never watched this before...I didn't know whether to feel bad for the people or think "hey, don't you have a watch"

It seemed like an event for all of the "cheering crowd".
new jersey
771 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
guilty! but i'm not one of the screaming people on the ship lol
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
First B2B

carnival freedom 2/8/2014.......st thomas, antigua, tortola, nassau.....empress balcony 7348
carnival breeze 2/16/2013.....grand turk (missed due to wind), la romana dominican republic, aruba, curacao.....cove balcony 2298
carnival miracle 2/6/2012.........st maarten, st lucia, st kitts......empress balcony 6138
rccl majesty of the seas 5/20/2011........coco cay, nassau....inside k-6077
carnival liberty 2/12/2011..........grand caymen, cozumel, ochos rios....veranda balcony 8236
carnival legend 2/28/2010..........grand caymen, cozumel, belize, roatan.....empress balcony 6124
carnival triumph 2/1/2003..........san juan, st thomas, st maarten....lido balcony 9270
carnival celebration 3/14/1987..........san juan, st thomas, st maarten....outside R87
2,845 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
I'm usually one of the people yelling from our balcony for those people to hurry up and get on the ship so that we can leave. For once I would LOVE to see the ship pull away with all of those people on the dock - it would teach them a lesson to watch the time and to not take anything for granted!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cary and Susan

Bawston Boy + Jersey Girl (plus our cruising mascots Jumbo the Elephant and Clark the Minion) = match made in heaven!

I admit that we're cruise junkies!!!!

Way too many cruises to count:
19 on Carnival
7 on Norwegian
5 on Royal Caribbean
South Carolina
3,977 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
I do enjoy me some watching of pier runners! I probably should have some more sympathy for them because some of them might not have had control over getting back on time (flat tire, accident that backed up traffic etc.) but that is the risk you take booking your own excursions.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
John Lennon

Upcoming cruises:
Feb/2018 7 day Western Caribbean on the Oasis of the Seas - Balcony
Jan/2019 7 day Western Caribbean on the Norwegian Epic - Aft Balcony

Completed cruises:
Jan/2017 8 day Caribbean on the Carnival Sunshine Aft Balcony
Jan/2016 Carnival Dream - 7 Day to Key West and the Bahamas
Feb/2015 Norwegian Sun - 7 Day Western Caribbean - Forward PH
Feb/2014 Independence of the Seas - 8 day cruise - Aft corner
Feb/2013 Carnival Valor - Repositioning cruise to Puerto Rico - Aft Wrap

Jan/2012 NCL Star - Western Caribbean - Aft PH
Jan/2011 NCL Sun - Eastern Caribbean - Mini Suite

New Mexico USA
1,560 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by ChefSusan
I'm usually one of the people yelling from our balcony for those people to hurry up and get on the ship so that we can leave. For once I would LOVE to see the ship pull away with all of those people on the dock - it would teach them a lesson to watch the time and to not take anything for granted!
I must admit we are "Pier Watchers" however, we are not the yeller's. On our NCL Sky cruise, we were in Nassau and the ship had just pulled away from the pier and we saw 3 runners yelling at the ship to stop.....which it did not.

OceanDreams
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Never Stop Dreaming

Charlotte, NC
2,783 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Watchers but not yellers.

Last cruise was a bust.....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

9/2012 - Carnival Victory
5/2012 - Carnival Elation
6/2011 - Carnival Fascination
Western NY
367 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Oh yes, we always watch for the runners. But we don't yell, because I'm usually videotaping, and we'd rather make snarky comments. I have a great one from last cruise where I'm singing along to "We're jammin'" that they're playing over the loudspeakers, but I'm changing the lyrics so I'm singing "We're waitin', and waitin', and waitin', for some late and lazy stupid sod."

Sarcasm, it's what's for dinner.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Namaste,
Heather

Carnival Triumph ~ 9/18-27/04 (thanks to Hurricane Jeanne)

Carnival Pride ~ September 20, 2009

Barnegat Bay ❤
3,975 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by OceanDreams
I must admit we are "Pier Watchers" however, we are not the yeller's. On our NCL Sky cruise, we were in Nassau and the ship had just pulled away from the pier and we saw 3 runners yelling at the ship to stop.....which it did not.

OceanDreams

hahaha, I think someone video-taped it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fALQugPn5V8
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Been There, Done That:
06/2014 - Carnival Splendor - New York City - Grand Turk - Half Moon Cay - Nassau, Bahamas - (spa interior) - FREE is good!!
11/2013 - Norwegian Breakaway - New York City - Port Canaveral, Florida - Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas - Nassau, Bahamas - (aft-extended balcony)

11/2012 - Carnival Victory - San Juan, Puerto Rico - St. Thomas/St. John - Barbados - St. Lucia - St. Kitts - St. Maarten - (aft-wrap balcony)
11/2011 - Carnival Liberty 2.0 - Miami, Florida - Cozumel, Mexico - Xunantunich Ruins, Belize - Roatan, Honduras - Grand Cayman - (balcony)
12/2005 - Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas - Miami, Florida - Nassau, Bahamas - CocoCay, Bahamas - Key West, Florida - (oceanview)
Las Vegas
11,147 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I agree completely. They should cut those idiots absolutely no slack. If they are running down the pier at 3:01 and they ship is due to leave at 3:00, the ship should depart and leave them.

DON
n/a Posts
I agree completely. They should cut those idiots absolutely no slack. If they are running down the pier at 3:01 and they ship is due to leave at 3:00, the ship should depart and leave them.

DON
Quite honestly, I think they should charge the late passengers per 5 minutes they hold everyone else up! Don't forget that sometimes you have a nice Captain who will wait; and thus making everyone else late for their next port.
Las Vegas
11,147 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by LoveMyBoxer
Quite honestly, I think they should charge the late passengers per 5 minutes they hold everyone else up! Don't forget that sometimes you have a nice Captain who will wait; and thus making everyone else late for their next port.
Too easy on them. If they are late and the ship waits for them, they should be made objects of shame for the rest of the cruise. They should have to wear special shame clothing and special shame body paint. They should also automatically be at the end of every line on the ship and anyone else on the ship should be allowed to cut in front of them or steal their poolside chairs.

No level of degradation is sufficient for these people.

DON
Taylors, South Carolina
5,079 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
it would teach them a lesson to watch the time and to not take anything for granted!
The sad thing, Susan, is that it usually has nothing to do with watching the time. It has everything to do with their not caring about the ship's rules and requirements. It is all about THEM.

I'm talking, of course, about the ones who stroll back to the ship.

Kathy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nordic Empress (1) – Majesty of the Seas (1) – Carnival Fantasy (6) – Carnival Sensation (1) –
The Norway (1) – Norwegian Seaward (1) – Carnival ?? (1) –
Dawn Princess (1) – Norwegian Star (1) – Norwegian Majesty (1) – Explorer of the Seas (3) – Norwegian Jewel (2) –
Serenade of the Seas (3) – Celebrity Xpedition (1) – Oasis of the Seas (1) – Allure of the Seas (1) –
Freedom of the Seas (1) – Carnival Pride (1) – Carnival Ecstasy (1)
And one river cruise in Russia
Al.
106 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Man you guys have a poor attitude. I have taken alot of cruises and never wished that on anyone.
tampabay
734 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
I sail with a guy who got a brain injury and he walks with a bit of un steady gate
Often coming back some old busy body fool is out yelling and whooping it up
It's ironic as who realy is brain damaged
Milton, VT
618 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by ocs1985
Man you guys have a poor attitude. I have taken alot of cruises and never wished that on anyone.
I don't see a point in yelling out at them. The officials can do that. I don't yell out to passengers when it's time to board my flight at the airport gate.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
04-20-2012 Carnival Miracle
n/a Posts
I don't see a point in yelling out at them. The officials can do that. I don't yell out to passengers when it's time to board my flight at the airport gate.
Yes, but the officials don't! Someone has to embarass them! Sorry, but if everyone else can make it back on time, why should they think it's all "about them"!!!
77 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
I don't recall ever watching or even hearing yellers, etc. If there were little kids involved, I think it would make me too anxious to see them potentially get left behind. My ignorance has been my bliss I guess, lol.
Mississppi
109 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
I can't believe after all the cruises we have been on that I have never heard of pier runners. It makes me laugh out loud every time I think about it. We are booked for September and our group will definitely have a drink and a good spot to watch the entertainment!!