Carnival Secrets they usually don't tell you about

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:04 AM.
New York City
247 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by hilltopfamily
If you have kids 12 or under, they can order soda or "pop" free of charge with dinner in the assigned dining room at night only (not in the buffet areas). You may have a waiter/waitress attempt to charge you for it, as it seems they are not all aware of this policy. A smile and a reminder that Carnival offers free carbonated beverages to children at dinner was all it took for us, our waitress returned later and apologized, while informing us that we were indeed correct.
Is this still available?? Can anyone confirm for the Pride???

Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Magic 2/17
Carnival Magic 8/16
Disney Dream 8/15

Carnival Sunshine 2/15
Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 8/14
Carnival Dream 8/12
Carnival Glory 6/12
Carnival Sensation 10/11
Carnival Pride 8/11
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas 10/06
Norwegian Dawn 9/04
Disney Wonder 6/02
IOPSC
7,108 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by goofygal531
Is this still available?? Can anyone confirm for the Pride???

Thanks.
It was that way years ago... but since kids are well over 12 now I don't know anymore. I'd get it, see if you are charged and if so.... well it $2 or so.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Big Red Boat/Carnival/Royal Carib/Celebrity/NCL
Southeast Wisconsin
208 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by bobsfamily
It was that way years ago... but since kids are well over 12 now I don't know anymore. I'd get it, see if you are charged and if so.... well it $2 or so.
My experience has always been that the kids get charged for pop - even during dinner. If they ask for you S&S card, you are getting charged - guaranteed!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Vista 6/11/16 - Our First Mediterranean Cruise!
Carnival Dream 3/27/16 - Spring Break 2016
Carnival Conquest 8/15/15 - Southern Caribbean
Carnival Freedom 4/4/15 - Spring Break / Senior Trip 2015
Century Paragon 8/14 - Yangtze River Cruise - China!
Carnival Sunshine 2/16/14 - 25th Anniversary!
Carnival Conquest 3/31/13 - Spring Break / Senior Trip 2013
Carnival Elation 7/28/12
Carnival Glory 4/8/12 - Spring Break 2012
Carnival Triumph 4/23/11 - '11 Senior Class Trip!
Carnival Dream 4/3/10
Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas 1/22/10
Carnival Glory 4/11/09
Carnival Destiny 10/2/08 - 20th Anniversary Cruise
Carnival Imagination 3/24/08
Carnival Conquest 4/8/07
Disney Magic 1/17/05
Disney Wonder 10/02/03 - Kids First Cruise
Carnival Holiday 10/88 - Honeymoon Cruise
IOPSC
7,108 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
I think it was that way before soda cards but now they want to push the card... in fact I remember someone posting that after the kids had shown their card the first night a soda was always waiting for them each night.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Big Red Boat/Carnival/Royal Carib/Celebrity/NCL
Dallas, TX
28 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Hello All,

I've read through who knows how many pages of this thread and near the beginning, I read that you can order several items off the main menu in places like the Supper Club where you pay $30 for dinner. Those posts were from several years ago, and I haven't seen anything mentioned about this being mentioned recently. Has anyone that has been to the Supper Club (on Conquest) ordered the steak and also the lobster (or two deserts, etc)? My wife and I are sailing Conquest on 12/06/09 and are getting very excited.

Thanks for your help,
Bergen County, Northern New Jersey, USA
5,844 Posts
Joined Feb 2006

jobster71,

Maam it is such a truism.

In Asia , Europe, Africa and S.America too.

They do not even use most of the time hankerchiefs either..

That custom of using hankerchieves was started by Flandarian Gentlemen in the Kingdom of Flanders and aboard the ships.

Antwerpen was the Largest World Port.

Originally posted by jobster71
In some Mexican Ports like Progresso, to use the restroom they sell the toilet paper to you for 25 cents for about 5 sheets. If you give them 1 dollar they will not give you your change back. So bring coins with you or bring your own Toilet paper. I was laughing so hard when I found this out I had to buy extra toilet paper to blow my nose.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
truncated American born, bred, proud of it. Garden State growing. Cruise more miles on open water!We are Nautical eh..
1066 a.d William I.Again allied Flanders on ships with King Richard I won England / Scotland.Only I have documented from a.d. 241 so far.
Our N. American Family 1584-1587 Roanok Colony / Croatoan site, first English male child born in N.America, first Permanent Settlement on 05/14/1607 A.D. 2 of the 3 ships, Susan (Sarah) Constant & Godspeed building a fort at Jamestowne, Va.

A few years later also 8 more Kin Folk, aboard on the Dutch Liquor Ship, Mayflower 1621.

June 14th, a.d. 1646 our direct kinsman French first Grand Admiral Jean Armand de Maillé-Brézé killed at the Battle of Ortebello , at Sunset on his Flag Ship Grand Saint Louis . His dad was Marshall of France General Urbain de Maillé-Brézé married Miss Nicole du Plessis-Richelieu only sister of Cardinal Richelieu ...Armand Jean du Plessis, cardinal-duc de Richelieu et de Fronsac .

Site of the Battle ( Orbetello) of Isola del Giglio was near the Friday, a.d. Jan.13th 2012 17 Decked SHIP Costa Concordia Crashed (no deck 13) .
May GOD Bless US of America !
eh..what did ya say?
+ <:><~~

I know we can/may all agree to disagree on cruising but provide learning opportunities for all.

((\/))
Our Ocean current, Favorite's ( Favourite's) Cruise Lines are:Cunard/HAL

Our next Ship Trip now is

*Having quality is so much nicer than quantity at a much lower value.* eCommerce with a conscience!*((\/))
Bergen County, Northern New Jersey, USA
5,844 Posts
Joined Feb 2006

[email protected]
Since the arrival of Pay as you Float places on the ships they have added good amounts of new revenues.

The quality lax has come in the the MDR. As they used to provide the better quality cuts of Beef and Seafoods gratis.

On your meal paid for in addition to your cruise ...You have to Ask for another Main Plate etc... if they don't then ask for your monies back after you finish the meal you paid for in addition to the cruise ...

Are you a Shareholder yet of CCL/CUK :NYSE/LSE ?

A nice OBC is a Shareholder Benefit.

Hello All,

I've read through who knows how many pages of this thread and near the beginning, I read that you can order several items off the main menu in places like the Supper Club where you pay $30 for dinner. Those posts were from several years ago, and I haven't seen anything mentioned about this being mentioned recently. Has anyone that has been to the Supper Club (on Conquest) ordered the steak and also the lobster (or two deserts, etc)? My wife and I are sailing Conquest on 12/06/09 and are getting very excited.

Thanks for your help,
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
truncated American born, bred, proud of it. Garden State growing. Cruise more miles on open water!We are Nautical eh..
1066 a.d William I.Again allied Flanders on ships with King Richard I won England / Scotland.Only I have documented from a.d. 241 so far.
Our N. American Family 1584-1587 Roanok Colony / Croatoan site, first English male child born in N.America, first Permanent Settlement on 05/14/1607 A.D. 2 of the 3 ships, Susan (Sarah) Constant & Godspeed building a fort at Jamestowne, Va.

A few years later also 8 more Kin Folk, aboard on the Dutch Liquor Ship, Mayflower 1621.

June 14th, a.d. 1646 our direct kinsman French first Grand Admiral Jean Armand de Maillé-Brézé killed at the Battle of Ortebello , at Sunset on his Flag Ship Grand Saint Louis . His dad was Marshall of France General Urbain de Maillé-Brézé married Miss Nicole du Plessis-Richelieu only sister of Cardinal Richelieu ...Armand Jean du Plessis, cardinal-duc de Richelieu et de Fronsac .

Site of the Battle ( Orbetello) of Isola del Giglio was near the Friday, a.d. Jan.13th 2012 17 Decked SHIP Costa Concordia Crashed (no deck 13) .
May GOD Bless US of America !
eh..what did ya say?
+ <:><~~

I know we can/may all agree to disagree on cruising but provide learning opportunities for all.

((\/))
Our Ocean current, Favorite's ( Favourite's) Cruise Lines are:Cunard/HAL

Our next Ship Trip now is

*Having quality is so much nicer than quantity at a much lower value.* eCommerce with a conscience!*((\/))
Morgan Hill, CA
5,973 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Hello All,

Thanks for your help,
All the steakhouses (they're not supper clubs anymore, the music is gone) are the same fleetwide. You may get away with ordering 2 appetizers or substituting one for the salad or soup, but you cannot order 2 entrees (they are so huge, not sure why you'd want to), and only one desert, but by that time, I don't even want desert! I always get the surf & turf, so get steak and lobster anyway.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Splendor - September 23, 2012
Carnival Spirit - March 2, 2012
Carnival Spirit - October 21, 2011
Carnival Paradise - May 16, 2011
Carnival Splendor - October 24, 2010
Carnival Paradise (B2B) - March 1, 2010
Carnival Paradise (B2B) - February 26, 2010
Carnival Splendor - October 18, 2009
Carnival Spirit - March 28, 2009
Carnival Paradise - September 1, 2008
Carnival Elation - March 27, 2008
Carnival Pride - February 18, 2007
Carnival Paradise - October 9, 2006
Carnival Inspiration - October 14, 2001
RCCL Song of America - April 1993
Dallas, TX
28 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Originally posted by cathyz
only one desert, but by that time, I don't even want desert! I always get the surf & turf, so get steak and lobster anyway.
Cathyz and AAAAmerican, thanks for your replies. You're right Cathyz, after all that food, you probably don't need to entrees, but it's good to know you can get a two deserts or appetizers if I'm extra hungry or just want to try other stuff.

Thanks Again!!!
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
2,009 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
I do hope everybody realizes that this thread was first begun in 2004!!

Do realize that some of the things discussed might have changed in five years.

However, it is a neat threat and one of the first ones I read back when I started cruising four years ago, and there are some nice tips. But, when you read about something (for example free softdrinks for kids at Dinner) be aware that the policy might have been changed.

So, if you wonder...post a question or a new thread...so you can get your answer.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JaBee

Upcoming:
Sept. 17, 2018 Carnival Fantasy to Panama Canal

PREVIOUS CRUISES (20 Carnival and 1 NCL)
Carnival Elation (2 trips-10 days) Feb. 12, 2011, Jan. 2015
Carnival Triumph (2 trips-14 days_) March 13, 2010; Oct. 16, 2010
Carnival Fantasy (8 trips-40 days) Oct. 15, 2007; Oct 27, 2008; March 2, 2009 Nov. 11, 2009; Nov. 2, 1013; (B2B)Nov. 28, 2016; Dec. 3, 2016, Sept. 18, 2017
Carnival Holiday (2 trips 9 days) (B2B)Dec. 27, 2007 & Dec. 31, 2007
NCL Sun (1 trip 7 days) on March 11, 2007
Carnival Glory (1 trip 7 days) Sept. 16, 2006
Carnival Celebration (2 trips 10 days) Dec. 31, 2005; March 20, 2006
Carnivall Conquest (3 trips 21 days) Oct 9-16, 2005; Feb. 12, 2012, Feb. 17, 2013.
Totals...NCL 7 days Carnival 20 trips and 113 days

91 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
I have a question regarding the dinner menus. I have seen that the escargout is offered in the Sun King on the Freedom. Is this also offered sometime during the week in the MDR?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Krystal Kleer
Ottawa, Canada
11,947 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by Krystal Kleer
I have a question regarding the dinner menus. I have seen that the escargout is offered in the Sun King on the Freedom. Is this also offered sometime during the week in the MDR?
Yes it is - I think it's on the 2nd formal night? or last night of the cruise! Something to look forward to!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

LINK TO MY BREEZE TA REVIEW NOV 2012 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1753554
LINK TO MY LIBERTY REVIEW JAN 2012 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1564561
LINK TO MY DESTINY REVIEW FEB 2011 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1369046
LINK TO MY VALOR REVIEW JAN 2010
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1143537

Carnival Glory - March 2017
Carnival Vista - Feb 2017
Carnival Vista TA - Oct 2016
Carnival Splendor - Feb 2016
Carnival Triumph - Nov 2015
NCL Epic TA - Oct 2014
Carnival Liberty - May 2014
Carnival Dream - Jan 2014
Carnival Ecstasy - Dec 2013
Carnival Sunshine TA - Nov 2013
Carnival Breeze TA - Nov 2012
Carnival Liberty - Jan 2012
Carnival Destiny B2B - Feb 2011
Carnival Valor - Jan 2010
Carnival Glory - Nov 2008
Carnival Miracle - March 2008
Carnival Miracle - Dec 2007
Carnival Triumph - Oct 2007
Carnival Liberty - March 2007
Carnival Valor - Sept 2006
Carnival Victory - Jan 2006
Caribbean Princess - Aug 2004
Premier Big Red Boat - Dec 1990
Costa Riviera - Jan 1986
S.S. Amerikanis - Epirotiki Lines - Nov 1983
Costa World Renaissance - June 1980
NC
14 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Several have mentioned giving your steward a lil sumthing extra other then money. I've heard mention, left over alcohol, phone cards, laundry detergent etc. Are the crew really not allowed to drink after hours, use the laundry service, or call home?
Do they prefer these gifts over cash? If so, any other suggestions as to what else they may like?
Tampa, FL
1,102 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Originally posted by Hazelnutt46
Several have mentioned giving your steward a lil sumthing extra other then money. I've heard mention, left over alcohol, phone cards, laundry detergent etc. Are the crew really not allowed to drink after hours, use the laundry service, or call home?
Do they prefer these gifts over cash? If so, any other suggestions as to what else they may like?

I believe they prefer cash but certainly don't mind if you leave your extra alcohol, laundry detergent, etc. To learn about life onboard a ship as part of the crew, pick up a copy of "Cruise Confidential." It is a fun read and will probably give you a new appreciation for how hard the crew works.
NC
14 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Thanks, i had seen that book mentioned, and had considered picking up a copy. But after reading some of the book reviews, was uncertain of it's helpfulness. Some said it contained more about "rendezvous", rather then cruise life. ...But guess i will just check it out
Summerville, SC
71 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by ken_nyc
Just a bit of info, from what I have heard, you are charged for cappuccino now in the dinning room on alot of the ships. Maybe others will please let us know which ships are charging.
I just came off the Carnival Legend on 1 Nov and asked for a cappuccino after every mean in the dining room and was not charged.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CCL Carnivale - 9/1991 - Bahamas
RCL Nordic Empress - 6/1995 - Bahamas
CCL Victory - 12/2001 - Western Caribbean
NCL Norwegian Magesty - 12/2008 - Bahamas
CCL Legend - 10/2009 - Western Caribbean
HAL Oosterdam - 7/2010 - Inside Passage - Alaska
RCL Allure of the Seas - 12-2011 - Eastern Caribbean
CCL Sunshine - 5/16/2015 - Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Southeast Wisconsin
208 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by cah14522
My experience has always been that the kids get charged for pop - even during dinner. If they ask for you S&S card, you are getting charged - guaranteed!
I just noticed my signature line - still over 140 days to wait until our cruise on the Dream...WAY TOO LONG! I think we might need to find something sooner for just me and the missus?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Elation 7/28/12
Carnival Dream 4/3/10
Carnival Glory 4/11/09
Carnival Conquest 4/8/07
Disney Magic 1/17/05
Southeast Wisconsin
208 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
So, what is the OBC bonus for being a shareholder? And do you need to be a shareholder prior to booking the trip, or can I still buy the stock now to get the bonus? I think I posted this earlier, but it may not have taken...thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Elation 7/28/12
Carnival Dream 4/3/10
Carnival Glory 4/11/09
Carnival Conquest 4/8/07
Disney Magic 1/17/05
Eastern US
1 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
We Just came back froma cruise on The Valor..just last week. You cannot order an extra meal without being charged for it. The meal we had was the best steak I ever tasted...a 24oz Porterhouse. my wife had the surf and turf and found the half lobster tail kind of tough and not too tasty. The lobster we had in the dining room was listed as Miane Lobster and it was great. The one in the supper club just said Lobster tail, and I think it was a rock lobster from Africa...it wasn't very good. The meal was great however, and well worth the $30 per person.
Hello All,

Thanks for your help,