St.Kitts Tour Or Taxi????

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:58 PM.
4 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
I will be in St. Kitts this March on the Carnival Victory. I want to go to Romney Manor for 1 to 2 hours and then on to Timothy Hill for a quick picture stop. Then stay for the rest of the day at Cockleshell beach. Can this be done just using taxis? I should explain that my cell phone will not work on St. Kitts. Are taxis easy enough to get? I've looked at many tours that sound great but seems that you must be hurried through the numerous stops and then returned to port 3 hours before your ship departs. I'd like to see some local culture then relax and use my WHOLE day in St.Kitts. Any input would be appreciated.
Louisville, Kentucky
34 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
Originally posted by werdapaul
I will be in St. Kitts this March on the Carnival Victory. I want to go to Romney Manor for 1 to 2 hours and then on to Timothy Hill for a quick picture stop. Then stay for the rest of the day at Cockleshell beach. Can this be done just using taxis? I should explain that my cell phone will not work on St. Kitts. Are taxis easy enough to get? I've looked at many tours that sound great but seems that you must be hurried through the numerous stops and then returned to port 3 hours before your ship departs. I'd like to see some local culture then relax and use my WHOLE day in St.Kitts. Any input would be appreciated.
I'd highly recommend the Thenford Grey tour - you can find him on the net. My family toured with him on Dec. 27. He was very knowledgeable and proud of his homeland. We learned alot about the island, its history, and the culture there. We went to Romney Manor, Brimstone Hill fortress (it really is pretty fabulous), Timothy Hill, and then on to the beach. I'm sure he'd work with you if you really wanted to skip the fort to get more beach time. We've had tour guides elsewhere and he was one of the best we've had--in fact my wife and I are thinking about going back to St. Kitts next year for our 20th anniversary and if we do, I guarantee you we'll meet up again with Thenford. Hope that helps.
sle
North East England (Etherly)
4,646 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by werdapaul

I would reccomend Captain Sunshine who will do whatever you want and at a great price. He is so easy going and he is on the net. Check out my review further down this page.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Graeme

Boston
3,647 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
We used http://roseandjimstaxi.com/aboutstkitts.htm when we went in Oct and had a great time at a very reasonable rate. I have lots of pictures in my review below, we stopped at the places you mentioned
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Proud wife of a Marine Scout Sniper
Triumph 2001-Pride 2002-Glory 2004
Legend 2007-Glory 2008-Miracle 2009
Dream 2010- Freedom 2011-Ecstasy 2012
Liberty 2012-Liberty 2013-Paradise 2014
Sunshine 2014 - Liberty 2015- Magic 2016
Chicago
165 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Another vote for Rose and Jim's taxi. We used them the 1st week in December and had a great time.

They will customize it to whatever you want.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sovereign o/t Seas 05/12/02
Enchantment o/t Seas 05/11/03
Galaxy 5/21/04
Radiance o/t Seas 7/22/06
Enchantment o/t Seas 6/18/07
Enchantment o/t Seas 4/24/08
Victory 11/29/09
Brilliance o/t Seas 11/23/10
Majesty o/t Seas: 11/28/11
4,926 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
We'd intended to just grab a cab to see the highlights, but when I checked taxi fares, I was shocked. It seemed better to do a tour than spend all that money for a cab ride. We booked with Rose and Jim as well. We go in about 7 weeks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
77 days at sea...and counting!
2003 - Carnival Sensation
2005 - Carnival Valor (western Caribbean)
2006 - Carnival Inspiration
2006 - Carnival Valor (eastern Caribbean)
2007 - Carnival Destiny
2008 - Carnival Imagination
2008 - Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas
2009 - Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas
2010 - Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas
2011 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas
2014 - Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas
2016 - Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas

687 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
We'd intended to just grab a cab to see the highlights, but when I checked taxi fares, I was shocked. It seemed better to do a tour than spend all that money for a cab ride. We booked with Rose and Jim as well. We go in about 7 weeks.
So did you check cab fares from one place to another, or for hiring a cab for the day? The reason I ask is because we are planning to just find a cab when we get off the ship and hire the driver for a few hours to tour around. I read that they are readily available.

Does this not make sense? Would love details and more information. Thanks!
Minnesota
1,633 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
There is really no difference between the two. A cab fare will be from point to point with no stops, whereas a tour would include mutiple stops at various locations around the island. Cab fares are set by the govt & tour prices can sometimes be negotiated depending on the size of the group. Most of the operators have large vans with a passenger capacity of about 10-12 people.
687 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
There is really no difference between the two. A cab fare will be from point to point with no stops, whereas a tour would include mutiple stops at various locations around the island. Cab fares are set by the govt & tour prices can sometimes be negotiated depending on the size of the group. Most of the operators have large vans with a passenger capacity of about 10-12 people.
Thanks! So are there no small cabs available at the port? Don't want a large group tour or cab ride. If they are not available at the port are there any companies to book private tours with that you recommend?
Barbados
26,596 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by sie625
They will customize it to whatever you want.
Just like every taxi driver on every Eastern Caribbean island.

Things aren't nearly as rigid as they are, where you come from.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

687 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
There are small cabs but you may have to walk into Basseterre. There is a cab stand at the Circus.
Isn't this right near where the ships dock? Thanks!
Canada
5,415 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
I would HIGHLY recommend Royston. He is extremely accomodating about what YOU want to do and he is yours for the day. He provides a snack for lunch and cool drinks and will pay your admission to Brimstone Hill. He can make your day however YOU want it - relaxed sightseeing and/or activities (snorkeling, hiking, whatever).

When we went with him last week. We did Brimstone Hill and Caribelle batik and then we went snorkeling - a great day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Pride of America Feb 2018
NCL Jade Aug 2017
Windstar Wind Surf Dec 09 2016
HAL Oosterdam Jan 2016
HAL Zaandam August 2014
NCL Pride of America Sept 2012
NCL Dawn Jan 2010
NCL Sun Jan 2006
NCL Sun Dec 2004
NCL Sky Feb 2004
Bolero
Sundream
Carousel
Boston
3,647 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Originally posted by printingchick
I am sure you will have a great time, we loved Jim and found him very accomodating
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Proud wife of a Marine Scout Sniper
Triumph 2001-Pride 2002-Glory 2004
Legend 2007-Glory 2008-Miracle 2009
Dream 2010- Freedom 2011-Ecstasy 2012
Liberty 2012-Liberty 2013-Paradise 2014
Sunshine 2014 - Liberty 2015- Magic 2016
48 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
We just did the whole day in mid January.

My wife and I spent the day with Royston tours in id January.

He is OUTSTANDING!!!

He was born on the Island and knows it like the back of his hand. He also knows the history and the future (projects) of the island.

Great listener, great driver, a walking St Kitts reference guide, flexible, and care about his customers.

I would not hesitate to give him a 100% endorsement of his services.

He can be reached at [email protected]

Crown Isle, BC & Fort Mohave, AZ
26,723 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
We used Thenford Grey for a similar tour last week and he did a great job for us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Upcoming Cruises

Hawaiian Islands - Star Princess - January 3, 2018

South Pacific & Australia - HAL Noordam - September 30, 2018

Previous Cruises:
Hawaiian Islands - Star Princess - January 4, 2017 .. Scandinavia & Russia - Regal Princess - May 26, 2016 .. Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016 .. British Isles - Royal Princess - Aug 25, 2015 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan 24, 2015 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan 17, 2015 .. Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan 10, 2015 .. Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)
473 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
We just returned from a cruise to St. Kitts. St. Kitts is a beautiful island. You will want to see as much of it as you can.

Rose was our tour guide. It was one of the best days of our cruise. Her van is very comfortable and she was very accommodating and great to meet. She totally designed the tour around our wishes, let us stop for pictures wherever we wanted, picked other gorgeous spots for photo ops, and let us spend extra time at the beach because we weren't interested in shopping. Her van is very comfortable and she was very accommodating. I'd go with her again in a minute.
East Tenn
52 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Rose is wonderful. She will tailor your day to whatever you want. Wonderful excursion that ended with a great time at cockleshell beach and Reggae bar.

I would love to go with Rose again. We were in a bit of a rush to get to the beach so we skipped the Fort. That was probably a mistake and next time we will stop there.
Crown Isle, BC & Fort Mohave, AZ
26,723 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
We had initially planned to book with Rose & Jim but they wanted a minimum number of passengers to do the tour. We waited as long as we could for them to get their numbers and finally went with Thenford Grey who we were most happy with. Thenford told me that he will do a tour with as few as 2 persons....he loses money on it but he feels it is part of building his business.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Upcoming Cruises

Hawaiian Islands - Star Princess - January 3, 2018

South Pacific & Australia - HAL Noordam - September 30, 2018

Previous Cruises:
Hawaiian Islands - Star Princess - January 4, 2017 .. Scandinavia & Russia - Regal Princess - May 26, 2016 .. Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016 .. British Isles - Royal Princess - Aug 25, 2015 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan 24, 2015 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan 17, 2015 .. Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan 10, 2015 .. Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)