Could we start a list of perks that were discontinued?

• 9 months later...
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, and it quite possibly would not be considered a perk, but on my April transatlantic crossing on the QM2, there was no passenger list distributed. I asked at the purser's desk, and they said that it was out of consideration for the passengers' privacy. When I travelled on liners in the 70s, there was always a passenger list. The list contained the name. hometown, and cabin number of each passenger. I certainly would never consider such a list as an invasion of privacy. Has this been done away with on all lines, or maybe it's just Cunard? Thanks.

I'm happy to report that I'm just back from a crossing on the Seabourn Spirit (11/15/09-11/27/09) and a passenger list was provided.

I miss the reasonable prices of days past. I remember a party like atmosphere on deck with people lounging and chatting under the sun. The waiters regularly paraded up and down the decks carrying a tray of ready to drink, delicious looking cocktails. They were about 75 cents a pop way back. In those days I didn't have much money but I bought lots of drinks and enjoyed them, along with crowds of others. Today drinks are priced outrageously. I now have more than enough money to be able to afford more but I won't pay the silly prices being charged, or rarely anyway. Waiters are rarely seen to be seen to bring them to you and, when they do, it's a give me your card and I'll be back later with them type of service. Few people are buying any drinks and the party atmosphere has gone. It's far more sedate. How sad.

I just returned from our latest cruise aboard a Celebrity ship. They earned excellent reviews in many ways, but a small glass of wine at $9.95 for low end wine? Give me a break. Just because I can afford it does not give them a license to rip me off. They used to make me feel like I was a king when I was aboard ship; now they make me feel like I'm a "mark". They are losing the essence of what made cruises what they are.

Absolutely charming and Gorgeous Greek waiters....

oh wait, i'm married now....

Ordering Room Service late at night and having it delivered to the pool

I just stumbled across this thread and boy does this bring back a happy memory! My very first cruise was in Greece with my parents when I was 22. "Nick", our Greek waiter, was SOOOOO charming...he called me Sophia Loren all week. Talk about knowing how to make a 22 year old girl giddy! :)

Midnight buffets on Carnival are awesome. They still have soft serve ice cream and pizza 24/7. I do like on Royal Carribbean how they serve you loaded down liquor fruit drinks on the lido deck-they don't do that on Carnival. I like Carnival's 5:00 sushi hour

• 1 month later...
On my RCCL cruise last month on the Rhapsody, they didn't even provide towels by the pool. You had to bring down the ones placed in your room and return them to your room, or you were charged for them :(

I was just on the Explorer in Jan. and we had to use our seapass to check out towels by the pool...that was a first for me!!

Silver Sea and Seabourn still offer these tours, and this leads me to believe that most lines eliminating them is more likely due to the dramatic increase in the number of passangers that they haul, than any security issue.

We had bridge and galley tours on the last 3 Celebrity cruises (Galaxy, Summit, and Constellation)

We had bridge and galley tours on the last 3 Celebrity cruises (Galaxy, Summit, and Constellation)

I took a bridge tour on the Carnival Destiny, but that was pre-9/11. I have tried for a bridge tour on 2 cruises since then, but was told that since 9/11 they can no longer do that. Carnival does still offer galley tours. (Maybe they hide the knives and clevers now. LOL).

Bryan

I took a bridge tour on the Carnival Destiny, but that was pre-9/11. I have tried for a bridge tour on 2 cruises since then, but was told that since 9/11 they can no longer do that. Carnival does still offer galley tours. (Maybe they hide the knives and clevers now. LOL).

Bryan

Galley tours were never stopped or reduced for any security issues. But the CDC strongly discourages (not forbids) Galley Tours on ships. Just one passenger with H1N1 or Norwalk Virus, touching things or coughing in the Galley could potentially cause illness for 1,000's of people.

A Bridge Tour with the same conditions would not sicken too many people, but could potentially have all the entire group of Bridge Officers sick and out of commission.

Edited by BruceMuzz

Galley tours were never stopped or reduced for any security issues. But the CDC strongly discourages (not forbids) Galley Tours on ships. Just one passenger with H1N1 or Norwalk Virus, touching things or coughing in the Galley could potentially cause illness for 1,000's of people.

A Bridge Tour with the same conditions would not sicken too many people, but could potentially have all the entire group of Bridge Officers sick and out of commission.

I'm not sure that illness is the reason for stopping bridge tours. It's probably has more to do with not wanting to risk letting a terrorist or psycho on the secure bridge. No telling what kind of havoc they could cause.

• 1 month later...

Conte di Savoia - We must be of the same generation. I, too, remember engine tours - climbing up and down ladders in a noisy, hot place. What a thrill.

You and I have traveled on many of the same ships!

Regards.

Carolegz - Pets were transported in kennels on the large Cunard liners as recently as the early 1960's.

Edited by Emtbsam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Geri & Jack - what a wonderful post! My husband and I were married aboard the Carnival Destiny in 1998 (also my first cruise). We cruise as often as we can, and I hope that years from now I can post a comment just like yours :-)

We remember well those good old ships. We sailed on them all. We had the time of our lives. Those ships were so innocent, glorious and new to us newly wed. Now 50 years later we are still sailing because of the fun we had.

Three cheers for Regent Cruise line, the Greek shipline and most of all - those grand ships!

Geri & Jack

Canada

Azure 2x

Pegasusx2x

Oceanis 1x

Bolero (I think)

Carolegz,

I believe on certain sailings and ships, Cunard still allows pets. However, they are in a kennel....you are not allowed to have them in your cabin, and your access to them is very limited.

As much as I love my pets, it is nice to get away from them for a week or so now and then.

• 2 weeks later...

The two things that caught my attention. First during the breakfast buffet, they used to have the bacon out with the rest of the food, now you have to asked for it. Small thing I know! Second is the past guest reception. It used to be that at the reception you received free drinks during the entire event. At the last one we received a ticket for one free drink.

What ship is this on? Now they sometimes serve you bacon but and I have gotten it myself and had it served to me. Guess they were throwing away too much bacon! At past guest receptions you can have as many drinks as you want. This is Carnival and Costa. Haven't been on NCL or Princess for a year or so but didn't have what you had on them either!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DH and I are going on our first ever cruise next year. (I'm 26 and he's 24) This is largely because his grandparents have just come back from a Princess cruise to the Norweigen fjords.

I am hugely excited about our first cruis but I must admit having read all this I wish I'd been on a cruise like the cruises you're all describing. Just like the one in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, one of my favourite movies!

DH and I have decided we're going to cruise our way though. A lot of people talking about formal dress, talk about it being a little more casual than formal gowns but we've decided he's wearing his tux and I'm wearing my fabulous vintage dresses.

The perks may have gone but for me going on a cruise is still a huge luxury.

• 2 years later...
Win a cruise...Some friends we met on an NCL cruise won a cruise!!!!! It was an inside they would not cruise in, and they could NOT upgrade to a decent cabin!:eek: They were VERY disappointed, and vowed NEVER to sail NCL again!:)

I can't imagine turning down a free cruise. How much time do you really spend in your cabin anyway?!? :eek:

Back in the day that some of the complimentary perks were offered, cruising was way out of my budget. While I recognize that bottles of wine at dinner or champagne in your stateroom are nice perks, if you don't drink...it's money you could save off your fare. While I understand the frustration some have with things being charged for now that used to come free, I think we still would all agree that what you get for what you pay is AMAZING. Personally, I prefer having the option of only paying for the things that I want included rather than paying for things I would never use.

Edited by cruzn4life