An Introduction to the Ships and Classes of the HAL Fleet

Hi

I would love to hear all input and thoughts from those of you that have sailed in the Lanai category cabins. Were they private enough? Was there a lot of traffic outside of your doors? Do you prefer lanai cabin or verandah cabin?

Thanks for helping me make my decision!

• 2 weeks later...

Lanai Stateroom phots and descriptions here: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Rotterdam/index.html

Joanie

Hi Joanie,

We just got our cabin assignment for the Veendam A219 leaving for a 16 cruise around the horn in South America. Looks to me like it is an aft cabin, wondering if you have some pictures or info on these cabins. I have never stayed in the aft always a balcony. Thanks Vicki 14

14 days and counting!!:D

• 2 months later...

Is there a difference in the size of the Deluxe Verandah Ocean-view staterooms and which ones are the biggest and best view? i heard that the VC rooms were better than the VF roms on the Verandah floor -is that true?

• 1 month later...
Very nice descriptive service. The Nieuw Amsterdam was omitted. What can you tell us about that ship?

The Nieuw Amsterdam didn't exist when this thread was started. It's essentially the same as the Eurodam; I can't remember if that existed when this thread was started.

Both ships are the Signature class, which is very similar to the Vista ships. Think of them as Vista 2.0. They have an additional deck of cabins, a quiet Retreat area (for a fee), and the Tamarind Restaurant and Silk Den lounge.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I don't see any more new ships planned for the HAL fleet. Are they content with what they have, no plans for more growth?

Last summer I asked the first mate (second in command) this very question. His answer was a promp and certain NO. There are no other ships planned in the future.

Edited by jakkojakko

• 3 weeks later...

This may be of some interest to Vista class fans, as we know a few Carnival lines have shared the Vista design.

I thought some would be interested in my interior photos of Arcadia (a Vista class)

http://www.pocruises.com/en-au/Community/Images/My-Image-Galleries/Images/?imageGalleryId=19610&userId=279

I beleive this ship was to be a HAL ship originally, it was then slated to become Queen Victoria and at the last minute was transferred to P&O as Arcadia.

I have never been on HAL before, but I am a cruise ship enthusiast and welcome and comments on what you think of my photography of the ship.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

I would love to hear all input and thoughts from those of you that have sailed in the Lanai category cabins. Were they private enough? Was there a lot of traffic outside of your doors? Do you prefer lanai cabin or verandah cabin?

Thanks for helping me make my decision!

Hello catkoe1,

We were on the Rotterdam in March on a 30 day HI and So.Pacific cruise and had a lanai cabin. The room is the size of an OV cabin with a slider door instead of a window. We had two chaises outside assigned to our cabin. I liked the veranda cabin for the drawer space but the lanai's two exit doors were very convenient. As DH takes naps, I could sit outside and read or take a walk around the promenade without disturbing him whereas with the veranda cabin if I sat on the veranda I would have to disturb DH if I wanted to leave the cabin. DH was very happy with the lanai and said he'd like to get one again.

I ordered a refrigerator which took up the place the stool is normally stored but was nice for storing our wine and water. The lanai view was good, wider than a veranda view. The slider is mirrored so no one can see inside during the day, at night a light on the inside will allow a view into the cabin so you'll want to close the drapes after dark. Being on the promenade wasn't too much of a privacy loss when sitting outside unless you like to sit outside sans clothes.

Hope this helps,

What are the dimensions of the angled SS cabins on the Vista class ships?

I am interested in the cabin and veranda sizes as compared to the normal SS suite sizes on deck 8 of the Zuiderdam. For example 8094 versus 8072.

• 2 months later...

We enjoy cruising on the smaller ships like the Princendam, and hope to take more cruises on her. We have done short and long cruises on varies ships of the HAL fleet. The main reason we enjoy cruising with HAL is that their ships are smaller and more intimate. The article was very informative and interesting.

Allan & Marlane:D:D

What are the dimensions of the angled SS cabins on the Vista class ships?

I am interested in the cabin and veranda sizes as compared to the normal SS suite sizes on deck 8 of the Zuiderdam. For example 8094 versus 8072.

We had the angled SZ on the Oosterdam last month and have booked 8094 and 8099 on some upcoming sailings on the Noordam and Zuiderdam. DH paced it out and figured the little sitting area in the angle to be about 10 square feet EXTRA (as we also checked out a regular SS, which is the same except for that bump-out). It was pleasant for room service breakfast. The balcony is also larger.

However, be aware that while the SZ if fully covered and facing against the wind (so you are totally "protected" unless it's coming broadsides), the two aft-ward SSs face the "wrong way" and are only partially covered because of the way the Lido above curves around a bit differently. On the other hand, the "wrong way" provides a better view of where you're going. ;)

Hope this is helpful!

Best,

Mary-Lou

We had the angled SZ on the Oosterdam last month and have booked 8094 and 8099 on some upcoming sailings on the Noordam and Zuiderdam. DH paced it out and figured the little sitting area in the angle to be about 10 square feet EXTRA (as we also checked out a regular SS, which is the same except for that bump-out). It was pleasant for room service breakfast. The balcony is also larger.

However, be aware that while the SZ if fully covered and facing against the wind (so you are totally "protected" unless it's coming broadsides), the two aft-ward SSs face the "wrong way" and are only partially covered because of the way the Lido above curves around a bit differently. On the other hand, the "wrong way" provides a better view of where you're going. ;)

Hope this is helpful!

Best,

Mary-Lou

Thanks for your response. We did decide to take 8094. Hopefully the small balcony section that is not angled will surfice while we are at sea and the larger section will be good for port approaches and dockside relaxing.

Thanks for your response. We did decide to take 8094. Hopefully the small balcony section that is not angled will surfice while we are at sea and the larger section will be good for port approaches and dockside relaxing.

So glad the info was helpful! Have a great cruise!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I want to know if the Lanai room is just as nice as a balcony room. I realize Lanai rooms open onto a public deck. Is the deck crowded or will I enjoy sitting outside my room as well as having a balcony room?

Thanks for the help.

At Sea I have never seen the Promenade Deck crowded. But it's still a Public Area. People walk allong your deckchairs and people can look into your Cabin.

We enjoyed the Privacy of our Balcony very much (Rotterdam Veranda suite).

• 1 month later...

Can any one tell me if the inside cabins 3340 -thru 3365 J - category on lower promenade deck on the Roterdam are larger than the inside cabins on deck 5 Main deck - shows as 182-293 sg. ft. Where are the 293 sg. ft inside cabins located? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I want to know if the Lanai room is just as nice as a balcony room. I realize Lanai rooms open onto a public deck. Is the deck crowded or will I enjoy sitting outside my room as well as having a balcony room?

Thanks for the help.

We sailed in a Lanai on the Maasdam. It was very convenient to the Lower Promenade, of course... but the room is slightly smaller than a standard outside or veranda stateroom in the way it's configured.

The 'sofa' was more of a 'stingy loveseat' - really not comfortable seating for two people; especially not people of my & my partner's size.

In the future, we'll opt for a standard outside, or a veranda if it's in the budget rather than a Lanai.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Can any one tell me if the inside cabins 3340 -thru 3365 J - category on lower promenade deck on the Roterdam are larger than the inside cabins on deck 5 Main deck - shows as 182-293 sg. ft. Where are the 293 sg. ft inside cabins located? Thanks

The Rotterdam J-category cabins on Lower Promenade between the forward and mid-ship elevators are the same size as the typical "large" insides elsewhere on the ship. They are the same configuration, at about 186 sq. ft. Very generous size, and most comfortable.

I don't know of any inside cabins that are as large as 293 sq. ft. on this ship. There are a few "sideways" cabins that are definitely larger, but not that big.

The same is true on all the S- and R-class ships. The only insides that I know of that might come close to 293 sq. ft. are the J-cabins on Main Deck of the Vista/Signature ships, and some I-cabins on an upper deck of the same ships.

The Rotterdam J-category cabins on Lower Promenade between the forward and mid-ship elevators are the same size as the typical "large" insides elsewhere on the ship. They are the same configuration, at about 186 sq. ft. Very generous size, and most comfortable.

I don't know of any inside cabins that are as large as 293 sq. ft. on this ship. There are a few "sideways" cabins that are definitely larger, but not that big. c

The same is true on all the S- and R-class ships. The only insides that I know of that might come close to 293 sq. ft. are the J-cabins on Main Deck of the Vista/Signature ships, and some I-cabins on an upper deck of the same ships. [/quote

Thanks - that area is going to be our home for 88 day starting in Jan. glad to hear you say comfortable. We have never been on Lower Promenade deck before - so looking forward to this trip. :)

• 1 month later...

Rotterdam has a pool amidship with a bar, music or entertainment. On the fantail is another wading-style pool with chaise lounges laid in. I had cruised on Royal Caribbean- Legend of the Seas which had the same noisy pool amidships but then had another in quiet solarium near the back of the ship. This was heaven for me: relaxing and allowing for uninterrupted reading. I loved the HAL-Rotterdam cruise to Peru and I would like to know if any of the Hal-ships have the pool layout I described.

Rotterdam has a pool amidship with a bar, music or entertainment. On the fantail is another wading-style pool with chaise lounges laid in. I had cruised on Royal Caribbean- Legend of the Seas which had the same noisy pool amidships but then had another in quiet solarium near the back of the ship. This was heaven for me: relaxing and allowing for uninterrupted reading. I loved the HAL-Rotterdam cruise to Peru and I would like to know if any of the Hal-ships have the pool layout I described.

All the HAL ships had an aft pool. The pools on the Veendam and Rotterdam were removed, and replaced with the Retreat concept.

Further expansion of that concept was canceled. So, choose any ship other than these two, and you will find an aft pool. How quiet it is back there will vary from ship to ship, and cruise to cruise.