"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

Great tips in this thread, I read every one!! I am still a bit confused on the phones onboard thing if anyone would be willing to help me out! This is our second cruise, but I can't remember what we did last time. We will be on Royal Carribbean next week. We all have smart phones.

I would like to use them as our cabin clock/alarm and onboard of course to text each other if we go separate ways. What should I do? Airline mode, turn off data roaming...what is the best way to access the phone/texting without it charging us like crazy for being out of range?

Also, I was planning to get three cheap blow up mats for our beach day. $12 a day isn't bad, but times 3 is almost $40...when I can bring 3 with no space wasted and throw them out for $5! Is this something many do, or are we going to feel silly being the only ones with our own floats?

Thanks!

We have done that! I either get them really cheap from the dollar store or I go to Wally World and get them....if I get them cheap enough, I just throw them out before we leave the island, beach, etc.

And it's not silly.....it's smart! ;)

Didn't know there is a white noise app -- will have to check it out.

Haven't found a really good torch app - which do you recommend?

Yeah, I use Relax Melodies for white noise. Just search white noise on the app store.

For the torch I use, Flashlight, I can't remember if it was free but it definitely wasn't very expensive if I had to pay. I like it because it's simply just torch on and torch off. Nothing complex about it. :)

Yeah, I use Relax Melodies for white noise. Just search white noise on the app store.

For the torch I use, Flashlight, I can't remember if it was free but it definitely wasn't very expensive if I had to pay. I like it because it's simply just torch on and torch off. Nothing complex about it. :)

Dowloaded Relax Melodies, thanks.

There were a couple of "Flashlights". For example:MyAppleSin, Giorgi Otiashvili, 7th Gear, John Haney Software.

Was it one of those?

Relax and enjoy yourself! We all work so hard to pay for our cruise so remember to relax and enjoy every minute of it - don't waste your energy worrying about what others might/might not think - they 're all far too busy having a good time ;)

Thank you for that reminder:)

#1 Don't buy the photo's they are very pricey and tend to wrinkle on the way home.

# 2 Take wine to drink in your cabin , you can bring 2 bottles of wine on board at every stop . Average mixed drink costs $ 7.50 . Beer $ 6.00.

# 3 Rent the formal ware from the ship saves a lot of weight and worry.

# 4 Use public transit at the ports , so much cheaper.

# 5 Stick to 1 cruise line , perks add up fast for frequentcruisers.Freedrinks , free laundry , free internet , free spa,s .

# 6 If you can do it, don't take a lap top Internet cafe's available at most ports,there are computers on board ( Air time is 56 - 65 cents a minute and very slowwwwwwwwwww average e mail can cost $ 4- 5) not worth it !

Excellent tips. This will save me a lot of money. Just a quick question. You're allowed 2 bottles of wine at EVERY STOP? That's fantastic! Does this apply to all cruiselines, all ports?

On our last cruise we ordered subs from room service to take with us on our excursion. Used the ole zip lock bag to keep it in that way we did not have to buy lunch or go back to the ship for it.

I think that in a lot of ports, you are not supposed to take food off of the ship. Check with your specific cruise ship before you do this.

Each port sets their own rules, but in many taking some food items off it illegal. Many places prohibit fresh fruit and veggies as they can contain insects that are not native to the port. If caught there is a good fine and a big loss of time while they process you.

That's too freaking funny! My husband is the same way! I told him that if he doesn't start oohing and ahhing over everything I tell him and everything that I buy that he can't go on the cruise and I will just take my best friend! He is shaping up quite nicely :D

I am so pleased that I am in good company. I have been on a day off today and been bugging my DH to death. We don't sail until Sept and he says he's sick of hearing about it. I just remind him that it was him that wanted to go on a cruise!

Excellent tips. This will save me a lot of money. Just a quick question. You're allowed 2 bottles of wine at EVERY STOP? That's fantastic! Does this apply to all cruiselines, all ports?

No, unfortunately not all cruise ships have the same policies. Some, like HAL allow as much wine, soda, water, as you wish, brought on board from any port. Others, like NCL don't allow any alcholic beverages at all. Be sure to check the policies of the line you are using!

No, unfortunately not all cruise ships have the same policies. Some, like HAL allow as much wine, soda, water, as you wish, brought on board from any port. Others, like NCL don't allow any alcholic beverages at all. Be sure to check the policies of the line you are using!

You can't bring booze aboard MSC. Don't try. The security staff is a buncha Israeli combat unit vets.

But given the high prices in my neckadawoods, I didn't find the prices on the ship too bad.

Fantastic thread!

Even as a seasoned cruiser - our upcoming cruise being the shortest at 7 days- I can't stress enough...comfort over beauty, ladies. Tired feet make for a cranky girl.

I like to wear comfy Merrells to explore ports, but bring flip flops in my bag in the event I feel like swapping out later in the day. This depends on the port, but it's been nice many times.

Oh, and swimsuit coverup. I have forgotten one on several vacations, so I thought I'd mention it. I prefer that to walking around with just a towel.

Safe travels!

One more thing I've just thought about formal/informal photos - if you're on a ship where they put the photos out for you to look at. Once you have had more than one set of photos taken' date=' find the first lot and "hide" them behind the second. Then take that pile the next night and put them behind the third set ... and so on and so on.

You will find that the staff will keep the pile together and so by the end of the cruise you just have to find your one big pile of photos. Much easier to go through them and discard the ones you don't want.

So many people think that if they don't buy photos on the first night, they will get thrown away. They don't. So don't feel pressured into buying the first nice photo you see - there may be a better one later on.[/quote']

This worked out beautifully for us. We'll be sure to do this on every cruise. We noticed several people frantically searching for all of their pics on the last night or so. It was also kind of fun searching for our pile of pics, like a mini scavanger hunt.:)

I always fly in the day before my cruise, saves me a lot of stress. Since the airlines started charging for baggage, I no longer pack heavy items like shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash etc. they add up a lot of weight in my checked luggage. Simply hit a store the night I arrive, buy these items in regular sizes. any leftovers stay in cabin, leaving extra room in luggage to pack things I bought on the cruise

Great tips in this thread, I read every one!! I am still a bit confused on the phones onboard thing if anyone would be willing to help me out! This is our second cruise, but I can't remember what we did last time. We will be on Royal Carribbean next week. We all have smart phones.

I would like to use them as our cabin clock/alarm and onboard of course to text each other if we go separate ways. What should I do? Airline mode, turn off data roaming...what is the best way to access the phone/texting without it charging us like crazy for being out of range?

If you just want to use the alarm clock feature, then going to "Airplane Mode" would be fine, since this will disable voice and data communications.

If you do want to have the ability to text each other while at sea, then be sure that the ability to access data, while roaming, is turned OFF. My understanding is that you can still telephone and text, just not use the data features of your phone.

Otherwise, the updates which your phone does automatically at home will continue, and at a very high cost.

I just learned how much data is automatically transmitted, since I am currently travelling, and using a "pay as you go" plan abroad. I have a data plan included, but it shows me a list of all the activity which I would be billed for if I did not have the plan. For the 16 hours which have passed so far today, there have been 21 data transactions. It would be very scary if I was being billed for each of those transactions!!

Hope this helps.

Most cruiselines don't have clocks in the cabins.

If you are in an inside cabin, it is pitch black so you won't know the time.

Every cruise we go on, we always pack a small alarm clock so we know the time.

I won't go on a cruise without it.

:)

Another trick for inside cabins is to tune your TV to the bridge camera, if there is one, and turn the sound down. At least you have an idea when the sun rises. And again on Royal Caribbean, we've found a clock built into the phone. It isn't an alarm clock but you can call for a wake-up call. If you arrange for room service for coffee or breakfast, they will call you shortly before they deliver your order.

One more thing I've just thought about formal/informal photos - if you're on a ship where they put the photos out for you to look at. Once you have had more than one set of photos taken' date=' find the first lot and "hide" them behind the second. Then take that pile the next night and put them behind the third set ... and so on and so on.

You will find that the staff will keep the pile together and so by the end of the cruise you just have to find your one big pile of photos. Much easier to go through them and discard the ones you don't want.

So many people think that if they don't buy photos on the first night, they will get thrown away. They don't. So don't feel pressured into buying the first nice photo you see - there may be a better one later on.[/quote']

This is a great hint.... I never thought of it! Thanks for posting!.

If you're on prescription meds, check your refills several days before you go to make sure you have enough to get through your trip. Don't wait til the day before you leave to check. I've had a few times that they were out of it when refills were requested and I had to wait a few days to pick up.

Don't buy new shoes for your cruise. You may end up with feet covered in blisters. If you buy new shoes, break them in at home first!

Those super cute high heels on formal night may be a major hazard on a ship, especially if the seas are rough. You'll also do a whole lot of walking on the ship getting around. our next ship is 1 mile to walk around the promenade deck. The dining room is at the back of the ship and the lounge where the shows are is at the very front of the ship. Pick shoes that you'll be comfortable walking around in.

If you're prone to motion sickness, start your dramamine or bonine the day or 2 before you board the ship. They work pretty well at prevention, but not so great if you take them after you get sick.

If you're on prescription meds, check your refills several days before you go to make sure you have enough to get through your trip. Don't wait til the day before you leave to check. I've had a few times that they were out of it when refills were requested and I had to wait a few days to pick up.

Don't buy new shoes for your cruise. You may end up with feet covered in blisters. If you buy new shoes, break them in at home first!

Those super cute high heels on formal night may be a major hazard on a ship, especially if the seas are rough. You'll also do a whole lot of walking on the ship getting around. our next ship is 1 mile to walk around the promenade deck. The dining room is at the back of the ship and the lounge where the shows are is at the very front of the ship. Pick shoes that you'll be comfortable walking around in.

If you're prone to motion sickness, start your dramamine or bonine the day or 2 before you board the ship. They work pretty well at prevention, but not so great if you take them after you get sick.

With perscriptions, if you use mail order for refills, check enough in advance to refill them and get a perscription if needed.

Regarding Travlmatron's comments for packing layers for Alaska:

Wear the heavy/bulky stuff; shoes, sweaters, and jackets on the plane. Once on board take what you don't need off, use it as a pillow, and/or stuff it in the bins or the under the seat in front of you.

lolol I can just picture this. It will likely be between 100 and 105 degrees when I leave my house for the airport. No way am I wearing my bulky glacier clothes on to the plane lolol I'd probably get strip searched by TSA for being so clearly out of place lol

Edited by NoobCruise

Here is my top five list (OK plus a couple of extras). Some are repeats of what others have said, but I think they are worth emphasizing:

• Arrive at your departure port one day early to avoid stress.

I'm taking the red eye flight and will arrive at the miami airport at 5:40 a.M. !#$%!

I think 5 -6 hours should be enough. I'll find out.

Scott

Each port sets their own rules, but in many taking some food items off it illegal. Many places prohibit fresh fruit and veggies as they can contain insects that are not native to the port. If caught there is a good fine and a big loss of time while they process you.

Just got back from Hawaii where we were on an all day excursion and knew before hand that there were no snack bars where we were going. They told us to be prepared to bring our lunch. When we got there they allowed us to take sandwiches off and sealed bags of chips, but the people who put in a piece of fruit got theirs taken away. Too bad, as it was announced several times that fruit couldn't be taken off.:cool:

Edited by GlendaleCruiser

Great thread! I've spent entirely too much time reading this and there are so many things I definitely wouldn't have thought of before. DH and I just booked our first cruise for our 10th anniversary and I am so excited. Only now I have to wait 9 months. :P

You mean after you deliver? ;-)

• 2 weeks later...