Stingrays at Mahogany Bay beach?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:54 AM.
Orlando
355 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Are there stingrays in the water at MB?

A few years ago, I got stung by one in shallow water in FL, and I've been pretty afraid to get in the water since then. The beach where it happened recommended the "stingray shuffle" to scare them away while you were walking in the ocean but I was in below-knee-deep water and thought I would be ok. My wound hurt A LOT for about 24 hours (and I'm not a pain wimp), and it took several weeks for it to heal.

Do they have any warnings in the area about the stingray shuffle?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Fascination - May 2014
Carnival Ecstasy - January 2013
Carnival Legend - May 2012
Carnival Sensation - May 2011
Carnival Triumph - October 2009
Premier Cruise Line, Starship Oceanic aka Big Red Boat - September 1986
Costa Flavia - May 1976 (high school graduation cruise!)
234 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Originally posted by RedbirdFL

Do they have any warnings in the area about the stingray shuffle?
No warnings but if it makes you more comfortable then do it, as long as your not on or near the corals. Stingrays are in every ocean in the world.
Seems the problem was you were warned about them but chose not to heed the warnings because for some reason you thought they would not be in a foot or so of water, have you ever been to ny of the amusement places where you can feed them? they are often a foot or so deep along the sides
16,907 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
We've been there for a land stay as well as a couple day trips, and never saw any along the beach. Nor any warning signs for anything.

If there were warnings before entering an area (water or land) I wouldn't presume anything and would avoid it like the plague. Maybe I'm overly cautious.
But what you "thought would be okay" was your downfall.

Have a great time on the beach.