Passports for 1 year old

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Family Cruises
Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:06 AM.
#2
18,837 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
"Needing" a passport isn't age specific. The rules as they currently stand - for US citizens - any cruise known as a "closed loop cruise" leaving and coming back to the same US port does not require a passport to board the ship - you can use a birth certificate (with driver's license for the adults)

HOWEVER - if something happens while you are on the ship. Let's say you are sitting in Bermuda and the baby gets sick and you have to FLY home - the baby will need a passport to FLY.

This is the risk you need to evaluate. If you have time - then get the passports. The child passports are good for 5 years.

But as far as being allowed on the ship - yes - the baby is allowed on the ship with a certified birth certificate.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michele
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 05/20/16
RCI Anthem of the Seas 11/8/2015
RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages
#3
Massapequa, NY
413 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Thank you for that info. We have plenty of time so I think we will get the baby a passport!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




#4
18,837 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by slotmomma3
Thank you for that info. We have plenty of time so I think we will get the baby a passport!!!
Great choice
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michele
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 05/20/16
RCI Anthem of the Seas 11/8/2015
RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages
#5
1,190 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Good decision. We will be going on a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean next year and, while we know it isn't technically required, we will be getting a passport for our DD (she'll be a little over 2 years). We plan to wait a little while to get the passport--probably the end of this year--enough time to not have to worry about getting it back, but making sure she is able to use it for nearly the full 5 years (no international trips before that). The thought of something possibly happening and needing to get back another way, while not likely, is enough to make sure we have our bases covered.
#6
Queens, NY
1,493 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Very good decision. We were on a cruise to Bermuda and my 10 month old DS had bronchiolitis and we had to fly home. He had never had this before and it was totally out of the blue. It was stressful enough I can't imagine having to do the whole passport thing on top of it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
4/04 Celebrity Zenith
1/07 NCL Dawn
1/08 NCL Star
7/08 Carnival Victory
1/09 NCL Gem
5/10 NCL Dawn
1/12 NCL Jewel
1/13 NCL Gem
10/13 NCL Breakaway
1/14 NCL Breakaway

#7
New Jersey
401 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by crusinmama06
"Needing" a passport isn't age specific. The rules as they currently stand - for US citizens - any cruise known as a "closed loop cruise" leaving and coming back to the same US port does not require a passport to board the ship - you can use a birth certificate (with driver's license for the adults)

HOWEVER - if something happens while you are on the ship. Let's say you are sitting in Bermuda and the baby gets sick and you have to FLY home - the baby will need a passport to FLY.

This is the risk you need to evaluate. If you have time - then get the passports. The child passports are good for 5 years.

But as far as being allowed on the ship - yes - the baby is allowed on the ship with a certified birth certificate.
Never thought of that. We will be travelling with my daughter and two granddaughters. Do you happen to know if the Passport Cards are allowed to be used to fly??

Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RHMS Brittanis, 1982
Celebrity Horizon, 1990
Sovereign of the Seas, 1993
Majesty of the Seas, 1998
Regal Empress, 2000
Explorer of the Seas, 2001
Celebrity Horizon, 2004
Adventure of the Seas, 2006
Allure of the Seas, 2012
Allure of the Seas, 2013
Enchantment of the Seas, 2014
Celebrity Summit, 2015
#8
18,837 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by Mimajo
Never thought of that. We will be travelling with my daughter and two granddaughters. Do you happen to know if the Passport Cards are allowed to be used to fly??

Thanks
No - it must be the passport book. The cards are only good for driving across the borders - not flying.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michele
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 05/20/16
RCI Anthem of the Seas 11/8/2015
RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages
#9
New Jersey
401 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Thanks for the info, my daughter thought the card would be enough. We'll feel much better with the passports.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RHMS Brittanis, 1982
Celebrity Horizon, 1990
Sovereign of the Seas, 1993
Majesty of the Seas, 1998
Regal Empress, 2000
Explorer of the Seas, 2001
Celebrity Horizon, 2004
Adventure of the Seas, 2006
Allure of the Seas, 2012
Allure of the Seas, 2013
Enchantment of the Seas, 2014
Celebrity Summit, 2015
#10
New Jersey
122 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
We were in the same predicament. Traveling in a group of 18 with three infants under a year. Two of the passports took 4-5 weeks, one took 3. It was dependent on where they were processed. One adult in my group had his rejected because his name was too long to be put on the passport card. Then it took another 4-5 weeks until the it finally came. Good that we had plenty of time before we cruised.
All have passports now.
#11
GA
5,334 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by flhokie
Good decision. We will be going on a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean next year and, while we know it isn't technically required, we will be getting a passport for our DD (she'll be a little over 2 years). We plan to wait a little while to get the passport--probably the end of this year--enough time to not have to worry about getting it back, but making sure she is able to use it for nearly the full 5 years (no international trips before that). The thought of something possibly happening and needing to get back another way, while not likely, is enough to make sure we have our bases covered.
This is a good plan. While you obviously want to submit with plenty of time, the child passports are good for 5 years. Adult passports start at 16YO, so getting it later (along with some strategic spacing of renewals) might save the pain and cost of buying a 4th child passport.

Adult passports are a bit cheaper per year, but the big thing is that you cannot renew a child passport. Technically you can "renew", but it's just like a new application where you (parents and child) have to show up in person. You also get to pay the $25 fee to the USPS for their services.

Also, just a suggestion: if you haven't gotten the BC yet it's usually cheap to get extra "original" copies. Get at least one spare and you'll still have an original after sending one off with the passport application. Just in case...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#12
18,837 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by nicebbern
We were in the same predicament. Traveling in a group of 18 with three infants under a year. Two of the passports took 4-5 weeks, one took 3. It was dependent on where they were processed. One adult in my group had his rejected because his name was too long to be put on the passport card. Then it took another 4-5 weeks until the it finally came. Good that we had plenty of time before we cruised.
All have passports now.
I hope you meant passport "BOOK" not card. Because it won't do him any good to have the card if he needs it. He could drive home
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michele
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 05/20/16
RCI Anthem of the Seas 11/8/2015
RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages
#13
New Jersey
122 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by crusinmama06
I hope you meant passport "BOOK" not card. Because it won't do him any good to have the card if he needs it. He could drive home
They all have both.
What happened was... my son wanted both, but since his name was too long, having too many characters to fit on the card they sent it back to him to either cancel the card and use his full name on the passport book or change and shorten his name by using initials to get both book & card. This process took another 4-5 weeks after sending in the changes. Good thing we had time to do this. Their excuse was for security reasons that they could not have any differences on the card & book. The names had to be the same on both, but go figure... security reasons? You can change your name to fit. Security reasons... hmm
#14
18,837 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by nicebbern
They all have both.
What happened was... my son wanted both, but since his name was too long, having too many characters to fit on the card they sent it back to him to either cancel the card and use his full name on the passport book or change and shorten his name by using initials to get both book & card. This process took another 4-5 weeks after sending in the changes. Good thing we had time to do this. Their excuse was for security reasons that they could not have any differences on the card & book. The names had to be the same on both, but go figure... security reasons? You can change your name to fit. Security reasons... hmm
Well good - since they needed the book

Sorry they had a hard time getting them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michele
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 05/20/16
RCI Anthem of the Seas 11/8/2015
RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages
#15
GA
5,334 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by nicebbern
The names had to be the same on both, but go figure... security reasons? You can change your name to fit. Security reasons... hmm
Well, that is somewhat understandable. And you don't want to be in some 3rd world country and give the "authorities" an excuse to hold you. Our guys don't know where you might be going, right?

As far as the name change, that does seem crazy... but I bet there is some international convention to account for some countries that have really long (legal) names. As long as our side knows who you are, I guess it doesn't matter if you have an 'alias' on the documents. They are still legal. Not sure how that plays into the name on the booking though...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#16
Columbia MD
147 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Ok so you do not need a passport till they are i think around 12 (dont know the age 100% but i know under 5 they dont) however that is only the case for certin countries and certin modes of transpertation, so if everything goes as planed on the cruise then a BC is fine but if something happens and you need to fly home or divert to a diffrent port you could have issues. Plus if you get the passport you can get it stamped and have something to put in the baby book (they dont usuly stamp passports but i can say for sure in bermuda if you take it to guest services a few hours b4 leaving port they can get the folks that clear the ship to stamp it)
#17
GA
5,334 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by goofy810
Ok so you do not need a passport till they are i think around 12 (dont know the age 100% but i know under 5 they dont) however that is only the case for certin countries and certin modes of transpertation, so if everything goes as planed on the cruise then a BC is fine but if something happens and you need to fly home or divert to a diffrent port you could have issues.
This is entirely incorrect. As stated earlier in the thread, the passport requirement has no age variable. If a passport is required for an adult, it is required from birth. If it is not required for an adult (ie. closed loop cruises) than it is obviously not required for a child either.

The state department says "All minors regardless of age, including newborns and infants, must have their own passport when traveling internationally by air"
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#18
Atlanta, GA
1,080 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
I just received a passport for my youngest (4mos) in the mail last week. It was not required for our upcoming cruise next month. However, like others have said, if there is an emergency and you have to leave by plane you are in trouble. It wasn't worth the risk. Besides, we are frequent cruisers and I knew it was inevitable that she have one. Other than the hassle to have both parents go to file the application it was pretty painless. It came back quickly too....about 4 wks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Escape 12/2017
Empress of the Seas (Cuba) 11/2017
Carnival Vista 12/2016
Anthem of the Seas 3/2016
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=531142
Freedom of the Seas 11/2015
Quantum of the Seas 11/2/2014 Transatlantic
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=266817
Liberty of the Seas 12/2013 Mexico
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=246178
Carnival Breeze 6/2013 Eastern Caribbean
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=223830
Disney Dream 9/2012 Bahamas
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=108827
Carnival Destiny 11/2011 Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Millennium 10/2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Epic 4/2011Western Carribean
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=81543
MSC Splendida 11/2010 Mediterranean
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=75045
Celebrity Summit B2B 3/10 & Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit 4/10 Southern Carribean
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...102&highlight=
RCL Oasis of the Seas Inagural 12/09 Labadee Extravaganza
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=61756
Norwegian Jewel Southern Caribbean 11/08
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=49858
Zuiderdam Alaska 7/07 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=31235
Mariner of the Seas Western Caribbean 9/05
Dawn Princess Ultimate Caribbean 12/04
See review here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ghlight=queenL
Serenade of the Seas Hawaii 05/04
Carnival Glory Western Caribbean 11/03
Carnival Victory Western Caribbean 11/02
Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean 02/02
Norwegian Sea Bahamas12/01
Celebrity Century Eastern Caribbean 08/00
Regal Empress Eastern Caribbean 6/97
Emerald Seas Bahamas 7/91
#19
Timonium, Maryland
3,943 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
My oldest son got his first passport when he was eight and my younger one when he was two.

when a passport expires and you renew it- they send you back your old one. I love looking at their old passport pictures- so cute and my Mom saved all mine too and I got a kick out of that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda 5/14/17 Regal Princess, 3/19/17 Holland America Veendam Canada/New England 4/28/16-5/7/16, Regal Princess 3/27/16 Eastern Caribbean, Holland America Maasdam Canada New England 8/15/15, Celebrity Summit Bermuda 7/26/15 Star Princess Alaska 7/13/15 Norwegian Pearl Pacific Coast 5/3/2014 My Birthday! Celebrity Solstice Alaska 5/8/2014Enchantment of the Seas 12/6/13 Bahamas, Grand Princess Alaska 7/19/13, Celebrity Solstice California Coast 5/13, Serenade of the Seas Western Med (1/4/13)Celebrity Summit Bermuda(8/12/12),Celebrity Infinity Alaska 7/6/12
Caribbean Princess New England (8/11), Holland America Maasdam New England (6/11)Celebrity Equinox Norway (7/09), Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas (4/09) Grand Princess British Isles (08) Holland America Zuiderdam Greece/ Turkey (08) Oceania Regatta Caribbean Southern Caribbean (08) QM2 Transatlantic (07) Celebrity Millenium Western Med (7/07), Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas Eastern Caribbean(4/06), Disney Wonder Bahamas (8/05), Celebrity Constellation (4/06), Sapphire Princess Alaska (5/24/05) Celebrity Millenium Transatlantic (5/1/05), NCL Spirit Eastern Caribbean (3/05), Celebrity Galaxy (10/04), Carnival Victory (6/04), Celebrity Zenith Bermuda (10/01), Celebrity Zenith Eastern Caribbean (4/01),NCL Dynasty (12/00) NCL Sky Alaska (7/00), NCL Wind Alaska (5/98), Crown Princess Pacific repo (5/98), Royal Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas (10/97), Costa Victoria Western Caribbean (3/97), Crown Princess Alaska (6/96), Vera Cruz Christmas (1981), Holland America Volendam Christmas (1980), Holland America Veendam Christmas (1975).

Upcoming cruises: Celebrity Summit New England//Canada 6/27/17, QM2 Cunard 7/28/17, Explorer of the Seas Seattle to Sydney 10/06/17
[/size]