"Sunshine" or Quantum of the Seas from Cape Liberty,Starting Decembe 2014 ???

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Phila. Penna.
711 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
First I would like to say I am happy Quantum is sailing from Bayonne.
But my question is why more ships don't sail from Baltimore. They have a beautiful terminal and parking is so easy. Enchantment and now Granduer is always sold out for winter sailings. I wondered why larger ships don't sail from here
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
++JanetVeracurz--Galileo--Song of Norway--Song of America--Meridian--Soverign of the Seas--Island Breeze--Legend of the Seas--Norwegian Dream--Sea Princess--Majesty of the Seas--Sun Princess--Ocean Princess--Norweign Sun--Grand Princess--Serenade of the Seas--Caribbean Princess-- Empress of the Seas--Mercury-- Empress of the Seas--Freedom of the Seas-- Liberty of the Seas--Jewel of the Seas--Grand Princess-- Granduer of the Seas--Oasis of the Seas--Oasis of the Seas again--Constellation--Enchantment of the Seas--Granduer of the Seas--Equinox--Eclipse--Anthem of the Seas--Harmony of the Seas--Eclispe




268 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Originally posted by joysav
I lived in Portsmouth between M*******s and Maniacs at one point in my life

My brother and I drove many times up to Montreal and down to Boston and also
to NY and especially to EWR.

You could not do it in 6 hours from the Montreal down to Bayonne, NJ, unless you were very lucky on I87

I can clearly remember a previous trip to see the Fall Colours from EWR and seemed to drive forever North over a swamp ??
.
I'm just going by what Google maps says; usually it's pretty accurate with the travelling times around where I live (but I don't have big city traffic).

Regardless, it doesn't change my point even if it takes 8 or 10 hours - there are lots of people in the area who don't need to fly to get there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous:
2014-03-09 Norwegian Breakaway
2013-02-03 Carnival Glory
GEORGIA
3,334 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by KMagz
The Setting: RCCL headquarters, Executive offices earlier this afternoon.

[ RING RING.... RING RING -- picking up phone]


That post was really funny - and clever! Really!

Some people seem to take things way to seriously when it comes to discussing the NJ/NY part of the equation. It's not personal - it's about business.

Rest assured...there has been alot of communication already going to RCI regarding their choice of port for Quantum. There will be plenty more.

Put simply - it's a real shame to have their latest flagship positioned with such risk and limitations in terms of passenger access. There is no doubt there is a large passenger candidate population in the NJ/NY area. That said, once you get outside the NorthEast...things will be impacted quite differently in terms of any attraction to traveling there for a Caribbean cruise.

Just in 4 cruise site forums and 2 other locations alone...the feedback has been very consistent:

- People in the NorthEast are excited and looking forward to Quantum (the WOW view)
- Many people outside that part of the country are frustrated and moving into alternatives in the future (the FAIL view)

Informal polls of frequent cruisers....with far more frequent past cruises than our own pace...reflect very similar results.

Those things are reality and won't change no matter how much any of us debate the point from either vantage point. So at least now everyone knows the initial plan...and can proceed accordingly.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



Already Sailed:
Harmony of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 3/18/17
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 4/9/16
Allure of the Seas (Western Mediterranean) - 5/31/15
Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09


Barnegat Bay ❤
3,975 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by cruising lady
First I would like to say I am happy Quantum is sailing from Bayonne.
But my question is why more ships don't sail from Baltimore. They have a beautiful terminal and parking is so easy. Enchantment and now Granduer is always sold out for winter sailings. I wondered why larger ships don't sail from here
I believe there's an issue with the bigger ships not being able to sail under the bridges from the Baltimore port.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Been There, Done That:
06/2014 - Carnival Splendor - New York City - Grand Turk - Half Moon Cay - Nassau, Bahamas - (spa interior) - FREE is good!!
11/2013 - Norwegian Breakaway - New York City - Port Canaveral, Florida - Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas - Nassau, Bahamas - (aft-extended balcony)


11/2012 - Carnival Victory - San Juan, Puerto Rico - St. Thomas/St. John - Barbados - St. Lucia - St. Kitts - St. Maarten - (aft-wrap balcony)
11/2011 - Carnival Liberty 2.0 - Miami, Florida - Cozumel, Mexico - Xunantunich Ruins, Belize - Roatan, Honduras - Grand Cayman - (balcony)
12/2005 - Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas - Miami, Florida - Nassau, Bahamas - CocoCay, Bahamas - Key West, Florida - (oceanview)
Atlanta/Palm Springs
23,163 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by ibcnusoon
I believe there's an issue with the bigger ships not being able to sail under the bridges from the Baltimore port.
That is the issue. Same issue that Tampa has with the Sunshine Skyway bridge.
948 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by CRUISEFAN0001


That post was really funny - and clever! Really!
CRUISEFAN0001 -- I was hoping you took it that way! Was meant to be lighthearted. (Almost didn't post it.) At the end of the day, it's about cruises. And everyone on these boards is passionate about them. It's all good.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
701 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by CRUISEFAN0001



Put simply - it's a real shame to have their latest flagship positioned with such risk and limitations in terms of passenger access. There is no doubt there is a large passenger candidate population in the NJ/NY area. That said, once you get outside the NorthEast...things will be impacted quite differently in terms of any attraction to traveling there for a Caribbean cruise.
But the point is, for Quantum, RCCL won't need to reach beyond the Northeast...it's got 100 million people within driving distance! That's equivalent of 32% of the US population.

In comparison, about 30 million people are within driving distance of most of the major Florida ports.

Add in the folks in the 40 million or so people in the midwest and Great Lakes for whom its a short flight and you're getting close to half the US population for whom a cruise out of Bayonne is more convenient than a cruise out of Florida.

Don't get me wrong - nothing is going to overtake Florida as the #1 cruise center - it's got more itinerary options, is closer to the warm weather and has infrastructure already in place.

However, for many folks, this comes down to cost - and profits for RCCL. As a price sensitive customer, I'd willingly pay up to $400 more per person just to sail out of Bayonne, because I'll save that much by not having to purchase airfare...that also means RCCL can charge $800 more per cabin and still come out as a cheaper deal!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




Previous Cruises
March 2017 - Harmony of the Seas (Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel)
August 2016 - Brilliance of the Seas (Barcelona, Kotor, Venice, Split, Salerno, Civitavecchia, Livorno, Toulon)
March 2016 - Serenade of the Seas (Tortola, St. Kitts, Dominica, Antigua, St. Maarten)
October 2015 - Celebrity Summit (Repositioning: Cape Liberty, St. Maarten, Tortola, San Juan)
January 2015 - Quantum of the Seas (San Juan, Labadee)
November 2014 - Celebrity Reflection (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay, Labadee)
March 2014 - Oasis of the Seas (Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten)
March 2013 - Allure of the Seas (Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel)
November 2012 - Brilliance of the Seas (Repositioning: Cape Liberty, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, Tortola, St. Thomas, San Juan)
Dec. 2011 / Jan. 2012 - Carnival Dream (Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten)
February 2011 - Disney Magic (St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Castaway Cay)
November 2010 - Navigator of the Seas (Cozumel)
March 2010 - Majesty of the Seas (Nassau, CocoCay, Key West)
January 2010 - Carnival Glory (Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk)
April 2008 - Carnival Valor (Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten)
GEORGIA
3,334 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by KMagz
CRUISEFAN0001 -- I was hoping you took it that way! Was meant to be lighthearted. (Almost didn't post it.) At the end of the day, it's about cruises. And everyone on these boards is passionate about them. It's all good.
Exactly.

Some folks who can't understand the downside seem to feel insulted rather than informed. It's a business.
Originally posted by SensFan11
But the point is, for Quantum, RCCL won't need to reach beyond the Northeast...it's got 100 million people within driving distance! That's equivalent of 32% of the US population.
WOO HOO.

Yeah...when I think about going on a nice cruise...I'm headed right out to the garage to drive to the nearest port............... NOT.

I wonder how wonderful those who drive will enjoy the ice and snow during those long winter periods. The weather affects EVERYONE...

Sorry...but that math simply doesn't justify the issues tied to weather and higher travel costs...location, location, location - a questionable and bad business choice.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



Already Sailed:
Harmony of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 3/18/17
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 4/9/16
Allure of the Seas (Western Mediterranean) - 5/31/15
Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09


Connecticut
180 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
I find it amazing how both NCL and RCCL both made the same terrible mistake by bringing their new ships to the New York area.

Royal Caribbean has more ships coming in both the Sunshine and Oasis class to appease the whiners, as the new ships will obviously not sail from the Northeast. RCCL needed to upgrade on the Explorer in order to compete with the Breakaway. This is a huge market area with big bucks.

We in the Northeast are used to bad weather, we drive in it daily during the winter. We drive to work , drive to the store, and drive over an hour to the airport to fly to a port that some would describe as more favorable. So far the airlines refuse to pick me up at my house because the weather is bad. We also leave the day before the cruise as most do anyway, flying or not.

Some people on this board need to relax and stop making predictions about ships and then freak out when they are wrong. RCCL has many wonderful ships and more will be coming after Quantum to a port near you.

Cruise Critic used to be a place where people would help each other and find invaluable information about cruising. I can't tell you how many times we have gone somewhere while in port, or on an excursion while cruising, and someone in my group would ask how did I ever find out about this cool place or activity. I would always say Cruise Critic with a big smile. Now it seems as it has turned into a place to argue and complain and I unfortunately find myself being drawn in. I guess I should just try to avoid the posts that raise the blood pressure.

Happy cruising everyone.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Adventure of the Seas 04/2017
Enchantment of the Seas 01/2017
Anthem of the Seas 07/2016
Navigator of the Seas 04/2016
Majesty of the Seas 12/2015
Adventure of the Seas. 08/2015
Brilliance of the Seas 04/2015
Norwegian Sky 12/2014
Norwegian Breakaway 08/2014
Allure of the Seas 06/2014
Norwegian Breakaway 01/2014
Freedom of the Seas 08/2013
Explorer of the Seas 08/2012
Enchantment of the Seas 07/2011
Monarch of the Seas 02/2011
Oasis of the Seas 07/2010
Caribbean Princess 08/2009
Caribbean Princess 08/2008
Norwegian Spirit 10/2007
Liberty of the Seas 08/2007
Celebrity Century 11/2006
Adventure of the Seas 08/2006
Adventure of the Seas 08/2005
Mariner of the Seas 08/2004
Norwegian Dawn 08/2003
Adventure of the Seas 04/2002
Montreal, Quebec
2,165 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by Paraveina
I'm just going by what Google maps says; usually it's pretty accurate with the travelling times around where I live (but I don't have big city traffic).

Regardless, it doesn't change my point even if it takes 8 or 10 hours - there are lots of people in the area who don't need to fly to get there.
It usually takes us about 7 hours from Montreal to Manhattan, customs and bathroom breaks included. As a family of 5, we are very excited to to save the approximately $600-700 on flights to Florida during the popular time (when the kids are out of school), even if cruising from NY comes with a premium for convenience. Can't wait to see the actually schedules come out!
948 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by CRUISEFAN0001
Yeah...when I think about going on a nice cruise...I'm headed right out to the garage to drive to the nearest port............... NOT.
Agree 100% .... until 3 weeks ago when we drove to the cruise port for the first time. Incredibly easy. Cannot over state how liberating it was to not have to fly to the ship. It will be tough to justify flying to a cruise from now on. No airfare, no worrying about bags being over 50 lbs, no worrying about baggage fees, no fighting over scarce overhead storage, no worrying about the 2.7" inches of legroom, no worrying about shuttles to/from a hotel or cruise port, no waking at 3:30 AM to get your cheap flight, no worries about 3 oz sizes of toothpaste, no rental cars, etc...

And when the cruise was over? We were headed home literally within 5 mins of getting through Customs. Believe me, I like palm trees as much as the next guy but I'm OK waiting 'til day 2 of my cruise before I see one
Maryland
9,407 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by KMagz
Agree 100% .... until 3 weeks ago when we drove to the cruise port for the first time. Incredibly easy. Cannot over state how liberating it was to not have to fly to the ship. It will be tough to justify flying to a cruise from now on. No airfare, no worrying about bags being over 50 lbs, no worrying about baggage fees, no fighting over scarce overhead storage, no worrying about the 2.7" inches of legroom, no worrying about shuttles to/from a hotel or cruise port, no waking at 3:30 AM to get your cheap flight, no worries about 3 oz sizes of toothpaste, no rental cars, etc...

And when the cruise was over? We were headed home literally within 5 mins of getting through Customs. Believe me, I like palm trees as much as the next guy but I'm OK waiting 'til day 2 of my cruise before I see one
Like!
Philadelphia
807 Posts
Joined May 2006
Can't agree more, I love going to Florida a few days before the cruise, but I will not be missing the hotel, flight, and rental car fees. The air lines gouging you for bags and over weight fees.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Freedom of the Seas - 12/06
Freedom of the Seas - 1/08
Independence of the Seas - 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 9/10
Oasis of the Seas 9/11
Independence of the Seas 12/13
Serenade 12/14
Anthem 11/30/15
Montreal, Quebec
2,165 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by Sandyrella
It usually takes us about 7 hours from Montreal to Manhattan, customs and bathroom breaks included. As a family of 5, we are very excited to to save the approximately $600-700 on flights to Florida during the popular time (when the kids are out of school), even if cruising from NY comes with a premium for convenience. Can't wait to see the actually schedules come out!
I should also mention that it takes us about 7 hours door to door from Montreal to Miami or Fort Lauderdale if you factor in the transit to the airport, parking, checking in, security and customs....that's just on our end. Add on debarking the aircraft, waiting for luggage then flagging a cab or waiting for hotel shuttle. Phew...I need a nap now.
268 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Originally posted by Sandyrella
It usually takes us about 7 hours from Montreal to Manhattan, customs and bathroom breaks included. As a family of 5, we are very excited to to save the approximately $600-700 on flights to Florida during the popular time (when the kids are out of school), even if cruising from NY comes with a premium for convenience. Can't wait to see the actually schedules come out!
Yeah my estimate was only driving time, since bathroom breaks can range any where from 5 minutes to gas up and go to the washroom (me) to an hour long stop eating at a sit down restaurant (some friends I've traveled with).

I didn't even think of border waits though - where I cross, "busy" is 3 cars ahead of me haha. How long does crossing the border take coming from Montreal?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous:
2014-03-09 Norwegian Breakaway
2013-02-03 Carnival Glory
Tennessee
4,170 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by rotty2
I find it amazing how both NCL and RCCL both made the same terrible mistake by bringing their new ships to the New York area.

Royal Caribbean has more ships coming in both the Sunshine and Oasis class to appease the whiners, as the new ships will obviously not sail from the Northeast. RCCL needed to upgrade on the Explorer in order to compete with the Breakaway. This is a huge market area with big bucks.

We in the Northeast are used to bad weather, we drive in it daily during the winter. We drive to work , drive to the store, and drive over an hour to the airport to fly to a port that some would describe as more favorable. So far the airlines refuse to pick me up at my house because the weather is bad. We also leave the day before the cruise as most do anyway, flying or not.

Some people on this board need to relax and stop making predictions about ships and then freak out when they are wrong. RCCL has many wonderful ships and more will be coming after Quantum to a port near you.

Cruise Critic used to be a place where people would help each other and find invaluable information about cruising. I can't tell you how many times we have gone somewhere while in port, or on an excursion while cruising, and someone in my group would ask how did I ever find out about this cool place or activity. I would always say Cruise Critic with a big smile. Now it seems as it has turned into a place to argue and complain and I unfortunately find myself being drawn in. I guess I should just try to avoid the posts that raise the blood pressure.

Happy cruising everyone.
I agree w/ you, I have to hear my kids argue, usually all day long everyday about something. I try and tell them let's all get along and be nice CC is a great place, but we should all hear everyones opinion and not take it personally and realize its just someone opinion and it's ok to have a different opinion, Happy Cruising
GEORGIA
3,334 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by hollon
I agree w/ you, I have to hear my kids argue, usually all day long everyday about something. I try and tell them let's all get along and be nice
Then again....not enough parents listen well to their kids.

Also, having alternative views and being able to discuss them is what made this country great. Being PC on every topic is simply a symptom of blindness.

Questioning the port choice for Quantum is perfectly reasonable. Unfortunately, rather than discuss it logically...those with self-serving local bias have chosen to debate rather than discuss. They're the ones who need the "time out".

In the mean time...there are also related discussions on this topic:

1) The NJ choice may only hold for the first year before the ship(s) get relocated
2) Anthem may not sail from the same port (Baltimore could be an alternative)
3) If the terminal doesn't get a major facelift, these plans could all change

Having seen the significant construction and progress at the terminal in San Juan, as well as harbor improvements underway in San Juan for the future Oasis and Sunshine ship stops there...it's clear, they are taking things seriously. We'll see if the same holds true for NJ.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



Already Sailed:
Harmony of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 3/18/17
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 4/9/16
Allure of the Seas (Western Mediterranean) - 5/31/15
Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09


Connecticut
180 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
To answer FIRELT5's original post, yes the Quantum is coming to Bayonne! No discussions or debates are needed, the decision has been made. If you don't like it, don't sail on her, but deal with it! The whiners, cry babies, petition signers, and self proclaimed cruise industry economic experts (I did not realize 3 cruises made one an expert) are not needed and will not be missed on the ship.
The OP's question has been answered. I know he's happy, as it was time for the Northeast to get a new ship. Discussion over.
I'm out. I'll let someone else deal with the trolls.

In my opinion, all RCCL ships are awesome, each in their own way. Enjoy which ever one you decide to cruise on. Wanted to end PC.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Adventure of the Seas 04/2017
Enchantment of the Seas 01/2017
Anthem of the Seas 07/2016
Navigator of the Seas 04/2016
Majesty of the Seas 12/2015
Adventure of the Seas. 08/2015
Brilliance of the Seas 04/2015
Norwegian Sky 12/2014
Norwegian Breakaway 08/2014
Allure of the Seas 06/2014
Norwegian Breakaway 01/2014
Freedom of the Seas 08/2013
Explorer of the Seas 08/2012
Enchantment of the Seas 07/2011
Monarch of the Seas 02/2011
Oasis of the Seas 07/2010
Caribbean Princess 08/2009
Caribbean Princess 08/2008
Norwegian Spirit 10/2007
Liberty of the Seas 08/2007
Celebrity Century 11/2006
Adventure of the Seas 08/2006
Adventure of the Seas 08/2005
Mariner of the Seas 08/2004
Norwegian Dawn 08/2003
Adventure of the Seas 04/2002
Brooklyn, NY
5,598 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by CRUISEFAN0001
2) Anthem may not sail from the same port (Baltimore could be an alternative)
Nothing larger than a panamax ship (in RC's case, the Radiance Class) can fit under the bridges to get in and out of Baltimore. Safe to say Anthem will not be sailing out of Baltimore.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dave
258 Days at Sea!
RCI Diamond / X Elite
CCL Platinum / NCL Silver


Upcoming:
Norwegian Escape 12/9/17

Sailed:
-Meridian 8/93
-Century 7/96, 4/97
-Galaxy 4/98
-Mercury 4/99
-Carnival Triumph 2/00
-Carnival Destiny 8/00, 8/01
-Carnival Victory 4/8/01, 8/02
-Carnival Conquest 4/03
-Carnival Legend 8/03
-Voyager of the Seas 8/04, 6/05
-Carnival Valor 1/05
-Navigator of the Seas 12/31/05
-Brilliance of the Seas 6/16/06
-Jewel of the Seas 12/30/06
-Liberty of the Seas 6/9/07
-Carnival Liberty 12/30/07
-Carnival Splendor 12/27/08
-Carnival Pride 3/02, 8/7/09
-Explorer of the Seas 5/22/08, 5/8/10
-Carnival Breeze 12/30/12
-Celebrity Silhouette 9/26/13
-Allure of the Seas 5/11/14
-Oasis of the Seas 11/5/11, 5/26/12, 5/2/15
-Anthem of the Seas 11/10/15

-Norwegian Breakaway 11/9/14, 5/8/16
-Celebrity Reflection 12/3/16
GEORGIA
3,334 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by Dave85
Nothing larger than a panamax ship (in RC's case, the Radiance Class) can fit under the bridges to get in and out of Baltimore. Safe to say Anthem will not be sailing out of Baltimore.
Good to know. Thanks.

Guess another (further south) port might be needed then down the road.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



Already Sailed:
Harmony of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 3/18/17
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 4/9/16
Allure of the Seas (Western Mediterranean) - 5/31/15
Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09