High Prices??????

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:32 AM.
Tennessee
4,170 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
I'm really planning to go to alaska at the end of may or first of june in 2015. I checked the prices w/ princess today and they seem really high this year. I will say they are almost full, I think it says for a balcony it's 2000.00 plus. I know a couple of years ago, I only paid about 1300.00 or 1500.00 for a balcony. I know supply and demand, but for 2015 I'll book as soon as they open so is that high price the going price now, or is it just b/c "everyone" is usually booked by now. Thanks
Minnesota
2,253 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Princess had their 3 for Free sale this past fall and I'm sure many took advantage of the offers. We originally booked a balcony cabin for $1398 for May 31, 2014 and then were able to get a price adjustment when the price dropped to $1298.

I kept watching the available cabins and know they were filling up. Here are the details of the sale:

By booking this promotion passengers will receive the following: * FREE STATEROOM UPGRADE: Passenger gets the best stateroom available for the stateroom type selected at the lowest possible fare during this promotion. * FREE SHORE EXCURSION CREDIT: An onboard credit will be applied to passenger's onboard folio to be used towards shore excursions taken during the cruise. * FREE SPECIALTY DINING FOR 2: On the passenger's behalf, Princess will select a date and time for them to enjoy dinner at a specialty restaurant onboard. * REDUCED DEPOSIT: Only $100 per person.

This is our first cruise to Alaska but my advice would be to book early...then keep watching and take advantage of any price drops.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Souvenir Memories...a photo blog of our cruises and other travels.

Norwegian Sun 5/17 Photo Blog of our Alaska Cruise
Norwegian Pride of America 3/16 Photo Blog of our Hawaiian Cruise from San Francisco
Carnival Glory B2B 3/15 Photo Blog of Carnival Glory Cruise
Coral Princess 5/14 Photo Review of Coral Princess to Alaska, Photo Blog of our Alaska Adventure!
Emerald Princess 12/13 Emerald Princess Review with Photos
Carnival Victory 1/12 Victory Review with Photos
Carnival Legend 8/10 Legend Review with Photos
Carnival Freedom 7/09 Freedom Review with Photos
Carnival Victory 8/05 Victory Review
Carnival Paradise 6/04 Paradise Review
Carnival Paradise 6/02
Northern California
7,076 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
Celebrity prices have gone up as well. I booked our cruise the first day bookings opened up because we wanted a particular cabin. Today, our cabin is going for $300 per person higher.

I do remember a few years ago Alaska prices dropped quite a bit but haven't seen that type of price drop since that time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/v...#1367718572321 (Mis. Alaska photos -2008, 2011)

http://s657.photobucket.com/albums/u...railingspouse/ (Alaska 2012)

https://millenniumalaska2014.shutter...%3dSHARE3SXXXX (Alaska 2014, 2010, 2009)

https://millenniumalaska2015.shutter...%3dSHARE3SXXXX (Alaska 2015)

https://radiancealaska2016.shutterfl...%3dSHARE3SXXXX (Alaska 2016)

https://alaska2017princessandhal.shutterfly.com/ (Alaska 2017)

Fairbanks, AK
5,024 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
There has been some discussion on a couple of the individual cruise line boards on Cruise Critic about Alaska prices being higher for the upcoming season. As Italy52 has already noted, it clearly isn't just Princess.
Las Vegas
11,151 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by hollon
I'm really planning to go to alaska at the end of may or first of june in 2015. I checked the prices w/ princess today and they seem really high this year. I will say they are almost full, I think it says for a balcony it's 2000.00 plus. I know a couple of years ago, I only paid about 1300.00 or 1500.00 for a balcony. I know supply and demand, but for 2015 I'll book as soon as they open so is that high price the going price now, or is it just b/c "everyone" is usually booked by now. Thanks
Book now and watch the prices. You can always cancel if they do not come down as they often do. That is what we did and they did come down significantly. We have a friend who may book several cruises that overlap knowing that she will pick the one with the best price or best perks when the final payment or final cancellation date comes up.

DON
Syracuse, New York
50,529 Posts
Joined May 2000
Those low Princess rates aren't here yet. For May, it's going to be April when they are available. There is NO way to determine how full cruises are unless they are sold out. There is plenty of block space that agencies contract for, and then release back after final payment. Over, MANY MANY years Princess has been the winner with the low rates. I expect the same, again, next year, which will determine my booking.

For those who don't do last minute bookings, booking in advance and keeping track of price trends would be the lower price options.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Alaska travels

[email protected]
Tennessee
4,170 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by Budget Queen
Those low Princess rates aren't here yet. For May, it's going to be April when they are available. There is NO way to determine how full cruises are unless they are sold out. There is plenty of block space that agencies contract for, and then release back after final payment. Over, MANY MANY years Princess has been the winner with the low rates. I expect the same, again, next year, which will determine my booking.

For those who don't do last minute bookings, booking in advance and keeping track of price trends would be the lower price options.
BQ, have you been on the Coral/Island and have you been in a mini suite (I know you save money and budget) as well as the rest of us try I'm taking my sister and she is overweight and wanted to know if it's worth a minisuite. I've been in a balcony on the Diamond, from the pictures it just looks like it's really not worth the money. any thoughts would be appreciated, she also uses a walker.
25,053 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by Budget Queen

Princess has one less ship doing one ways this year, so the discount prices may not be as large or frequent as previous years. Though, the Crown Princess has more capacity so not entirely sure how that is going to play out.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me
25,053 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by hollon
BQ, have you been on the Coral/Island and have you been in a mini suite (I know you save money and budget) as well as the rest of us try I'm taking my sister and she is overweight and wanted to know if it's worth a minisuite. I've been in a balcony on the Diamond, from the pictures it just looks like it's really not worth the money. any thoughts would be appreciated, she also uses a walker.
Not BQ - but I have traveled on the Coral and most of the time, I travel in a mini suites on Princess. They are definitely more comfortable compared to balcony cabins. If you can afford the difference, it would be worth it. I would often travel with my mom and this was the minimum category she would travel in.

It is nice to have a bathtub to shower in compared to the cramped showers Princess has in other cabins. It also is nice to have a couch to spread out quite a bit.

This website is helpful: http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/p...ies/index.html

I would look for a covered balcony and also one near the aft as the Coral and Island Princess have great aft viewing (and also forward viewing). Regardless, if you can get a covered balcony, it helps when the weather is not as desireable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me
Tennessee
4,170 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by Coral
Not BQ - but I have traveled on the Coral and most of the time, I travel in a mini suites on Princess. They are definitely more comfortable compared to balcony cabins. If you can afford the difference, it would be worth it. I would often travel with my mom and this was the minimum category she would travel in.

It is nice to have a bathtub to shower in compared to the cramped showers Princess has in other cabins. It also is nice to have a couch to spread out quite a bit.

This website is helpful: http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/p...ies/index.html

I would look for a covered balcony and also one near the aft as the Coral and Island Princess have great aft viewing (and also forward viewing). Regardless, if you can get a covered balcony, it helps when the weather is not as desireable.
thank you! we had a covered balony on our diamond ship and yes, i think a must due to rain.