Mitsugirlys graduation getaway cruise

mitsugirly

I've been following this thread for days now. Love the review and the pictures!

We are sailing on the Getaway this September so I'm loving the pictures of the ship and the ports!

Thanks so much for coming in and I'm glad you are enjoying it. :) September will be here before you know it. Have a wonderful cruise.

Really enjoying your review - even though I have no plans to cruise Norwegian any time soon! Your review of the ports is just amazing. I've used them as guidance in the past.

Ok I gotta ask - what the heck happened to your daughter and grandson that security had to be called? I know I'm nosy but can you give us anything without going into too much detail?

[YOUTUBE]wm0Nn-PfK3I[/YOUTUBE]

Kim...thanks for that vid. I saw them on the Breakaway last year (and will again next week). It was amazing. I'm always in awe of how they can do those off a ship. And, if other ships out in the water see them and wonder if there is a battle erupting...:p

Sorry for the eye rolling I thought I click the happy face :):). One day I hope you might be able to go on RCI oasis of the sea. Your review is full of life and color. hey I feel like I am there with you. You give soooo much insight of ship. Reading your review really help me to decide on what ship I should take and go and which one I should past on. I guess I can kick getaway off my list.

Well, I have never been to St John and hear it's beautiful over there, but I can't compare it to Coki. We ABSOLUTELY loved Coki. If we go back, we will probably go there again. The snorkeling was just that amazing. I do think it was even better than Sapphire, but Sapphire just had a different atmosphere. Sapphire is absolutely gorgeous and I think it's because of all the natural shade with the grape trees. But Coki is still beautiful.

We had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS at all at Coki. There was no one that harrassed us. There was no "funny smells" of weed coming from anywhere. Never once did we feel unsafe. Like I said, this place was not at all what I had pictured before I got there, but my mind was at ease the entire time I was there.

I would HIGHLY recommend it.

Told ya you would like Coki. And you got to more parts than we did. We didn't make it to the left (far) side. And still waiting to see an ell. :eek: Best part is that the kids and anyone who would not swim out a lot (like my DW) can see a good abbundance of fish in waist deep water.

The Ump

John

Hi Mitsugirlys:

A few things:

--This is a great review. We're strongly considering the Getaway for autumn 2014 so this is great info.

--You look more like sisters with Kendra and Courtney than mom! I'm jealous!

--LOVE the ring. I like to get jewelry or other gifts while on a cruise or on an island. Then it is a remembrance to me of that trip every time I look at it. Better memories than getting it at the mall. :)

--Where do you find the crepes you've been talking about? Are they at the buffet? Or at one of the restaurants?

Love the review!! My wife and I will be on the Getaway in October. This is our first cruise on NCL. It will be over our 10th anniversary, so we are leaving our 4 year old at home....but she LOVES cruising and looking at your pictures, I'm sure she would love this ship!

Couple of questions for a NCL newby:

-Do they do fireworks every cruise? I thought I read somewhere where Disney was the only cruise line allowed to do this....hope they do it, would be neat to see.

-I notice all the drinks are in plastic cups, is that normal for NCL?

Really enjoying your review - even though I have no plans to cruise Norwegian any time soon! Your review of the ports is just amazing. I've used them as guidance in the past.

Ok I gotta ask - what the heck happened to your daughter and grandson that security had to be called? I know I'm nosy but can you give us anything without going into too much detail?

So glad it has helped with some of the ports. Even if I've helped some a little, I've done my job. :D

Kid insist on going to party, kid gets tired, kid refuses to go back to room, mom doesn't take him back to room, kid lays on floor by speaker and falls asleep, upset "group" decides it's kid abuse, calls security, makes a scene. That's pretty much the entire story but without all the full details. I was so embarrassed and my husband's comment when I found him after they left "That's Kendra's parenting at its best." :o :(

Kim...thanks for that vid. I saw them on the Breakaway last year (and will again next week). It was amazing. I'm always in awe of how they can do those off a ship. And, if other ships out in the water see them and wonder if there is a battle erupting...:p

I know right? I will always wonder how they make this possible. At times I was watching where they were lighting them off on the deck above us and watching the sparks. It was so neat, pretty, but yet scary at the same time. It was pretty windy out that night. :eek:

WOW your review with pictures is absolutely FANTASTIC!!

Thank you!! :)

Thanks so much. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Sorry for the eye rolling I thought I click the happy face :):). One day I hope you might be able to go on RCI oasis of the sea. Your review is full of life and color. hey I feel like I am there with you. You give soooo much insight of ship. Reading your review really help me to decide on what ship I should take and go and which one I should past on. I guess I can kick getaway off my list.

Oh it's ok. I didn't take offense to it. Was just wondering and thought it was a joke. LOL

Oh I definitely want to go on the Oasis or Allure. I won't be picky. :D Almost every cruise that I look at, I always go there to check on either ship and it's either way too expensive or they are booked (for the cheaper rooms) for the dates I have needed.

Are you looking for an Oasis review (or Allure?)

Mind me asking why you are kicking getaway off your list?

Told ya you would like Coki. And you got to more parts than we did. We didn't make it to the left (far) side. And still waiting to see an ell. Best part is that the kids and anyone who would not swim out a lot (like my DW) can see a good abbundance of fish in waist deep water.

The Ump

John

You were absolutely right. I'm so glad I decided to go here. It was such an awesome day and awesome snorkeling. I wouldn't think twice about going there again for sure. :D

Hi Mitsugirlys: Hi there, but there's only one of me (Mitsugirly)...as much as I wish I could be cloned. :D Just kidding.

A few things:

--This is a great review. We're strongly considering the Getaway for autumn 2014 so this is great info. Glad you are enjoying it.

--You look more like sisters with Kendra and Courtney than mom! I'm jealous! I think I love you now. Wanna be best friends. :D

--LOVE the ring. I like to get jewelry or other gifts while on a cruise or on an island. Then it is a remembrance to me of that trip every time I look at it. Better memories than getting it at the mall. I've been waiting for another ring for 8 years. I told the hubby I hope it's not another 8 years before I get another. :p

--Where do you find the crepes you've been talking about? Are they at the buffet? Or at one of the restaurants?

The crepes are in the buffet on each NCL ship. I haven't been on one that hasn't had it yet. They are awesome. It will have the station and there's always a sign. :)

Love the review!! My wife and I will be on the Getaway in October. This is our first cruise on NCL. It will be over our 10th anniversary, so we are leaving our 4 year old at home....but she LOVES cruising and looking at your pictures, I'm sure she would love this ship!

Couple of questions for a NCL newby:

-Do they do fireworks every cruise? I thought I read somewhere where Disney was the only cruise line allowed to do this....hope they do it, would be neat to see.

-I notice all the drinks are in plastic cups, is that normal for NCL?

Thanks and glad you love the review. Happy Anniversary to you both. I hope you enjoy your little "Getaway" without the munchkin.

Yes, they have fireworks every cruise on the 80's party night.

Um, I think it depends on the drink? I really didn't pay attention. I know that soda can come in a plastic cup or a hard cup. But I really don't remember now? Isn't that bad? I guess I had so many other things going on.

--Did the air conditioning go off when you took your card out of the slot on the wall or just the lights? If the air went off too, was it warm in there when you came back at night?

Nope, the a/c stayed on, so we didn't come back to a warm room. :) No worries. It was just the lights, tv or anything you had plugged into the outlets....so take note!! If you try to charge your cameras, laptop, cell phones, or whatever, when you remove the key card, it does turn them off.

What model of Tough camera do you have? Thanks for the great review!!!

Thanks

I (had) 2 Canon D10's, 1 Olympus Tough 630 and then purchased the other Olympus Tough 830 on this cruise. So, you got a mixture of pictures, but a majority of them taken with the 630 for the entire week.

I started using the 830 on our day in Nassau. :)

Ok, hopefully I am caught up with everyone's questions and comments. I have worked all day (with the exception of about 2 hours) on gathering pictures together, downloading them for the review and I'm actually still working on the video.

So, you will not get a review for today and I will start on it tomorrow some time. :)

Thank you so much for all of the hard work that goes into your reviews. A true labor of love.

I just wanted to say I totally admire your attitude towards Kendra. I couldn't do it, or at least I don't think I can LOL. You're very zen about it all. I would have stewed on the incident with Brayden and security all night. I'm waaaayyy too type A and am learning good lessons from you.

Hey Kim,

Remember me? The crazy lady who sent you looking for superman on Maya Key? Just wanted to let you know your review is great, sorry the trip wasn't the best.

Coki beach looked like a great snorkeling day--I may have to go East Carib again. Thanks for all the sea life shots.

Don't know if I will be cruising this year, but I do want to go to the new NCL private island off Belize--Harvest Cay when it opens, and I keep hoping that NCL will put the Spirit in Baltimore.

Stay safe in Ohio today with the weather coming through. Thanks again for taking me (virtually) snorkeling with you!

I (had) 2 Canon D10's, 1 Olympus Tough 630 and then purchased the other Olympus Tough 830 on this cruise. So, you got a mixture of pictures, but a majority of them taken with the 630 for the entire week.

I started using the 830 on our day in Nassau. :)

Thanks

Was going to buy my wife the 830 until I read a lot of reviews about the battery only lasting about 50 shots

Thanks for the details you captured on your trip. We leave on Aug 2. Traveling with a small group..1 - 16 yo, 2 - 12 yo, 1 - 6 yo, 3 seniors and 3 fun adults.;):D...

what is the fee for the late night Splash Academy?

Do you know if the 10-12 group can come in and out as they please or do we have to sign them out?

We have heard iffy things about Coki Beach..drug sales, arguments between "servers", hassling over hair braiding and tshirt sales, overcrowding, bad facilities. Did you experience any of this and considering my "group" should we venture there or do you suggest any other bay that we can snorkel on with clean facilities?

Thank you so much for all of the hard work that goes into your reviews. A true labor of love.

I just wanted to say I totally admire your attitude towards Kendra. I couldn't do it, or at least I don't think I can LOL. You're very zen about it all. I would have stewed on the incident with Brayden and security all night. I'm waaaayyy too type A and am learning good lessons from you.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

Well, I guess you can say that "I'm use to it" by now. I kinda expect it from her so when it happens, I try not to let it get me too stressed. I know that no matter what, things will play themselves out and eventually the end result will happen. (It just might happen in less time). :p Although I have been known to leave her (like we did in Roatan on our way to Little French Key). I always set a limit and if she doesn't show, her loss.

Having patience is just something I have had to learn with having 3 grown kids and then starting over with another child AND grandchildren at the same time. It taught me a lot. Also working in the ED, you MUST have patience, even those times when patients are cussing you out, spitting on you, throwing food at you and trying to "touch" you. You know that you are not allowed to do anything back and we learn to de-escalate the problem instead of fight back. Also nursing school has helped with it too. So they are all skills learned over the last 6+ years...trust me.

I also rediscovered myself after I had Sakari. I started looking at things differently. All the hours of road rage I realized that there's nothing THAT important that you had to be in a hurry THAT much that something could happen. I have watched so many people I know killed in auto accidents, dying of cancer at such a young age and so on. You just never know when it's going to be you and always being "on the edge" about things just isn't worth it. I want to live life to the fullest...even if that means it doesn't go as planned. (Don't get me wrong, I do have my moments). :p

I'm kind of at the place where I don't want the review to end. LOL

Wasn't Zimomiller cruising this month? Maybe he will start a review soon.

I'm kind of at a place where I can't wait for it to end because I have so many other things I need to get done with the house. LOL :D

THEN...I do need to get back to work and then there's always planning for my upcoming cruise and research to be done. :p

Hey Kim,

Remember me? The crazy lady who sent you looking for superman on Maya Key? Just wanted to let you know your review is great, sorry the trip wasn't the best.

Coki beach looked like a great snorkeling day--I may have to go East Carib again. Thanks for all the sea life shots.

Don't know if I will be cruising this year, but I do want to go to the new NCL private island off Belize--Harvest Cay when it opens, and I keep hoping that NCL will put the Spirit in Baltimore.

Stay safe in Ohio today with the weather coming through. Thanks again for taking me (virtually) snorkeling with you!

I most definitely remember you. :D

Coki was wonderful. You will have to try it. It's right up there with one of the best I have been to (off the beach). Maya Key still remains #1 just because it doesn't feel like you walked off the beach into it and feels like you are just in the middle of the ocean. Coki was a different type of experience and I just couldn't believe everything that was there within feet of the beach and such shallow water.

I will be glad when NCL puts Harvest Cay into the schedule too. I'm sorta running out of things to do there and always like something new. (Although I still want to try Goffs Cay and Rendezvous as well).

Wait, WHAT WEATHER? I never watch t.v., so I haven't heard anything. I know it's a beautiful cloudy day at the moment and we spent the morning sitting out on the lounge chairs on the deck and it was so nice. It sounds like that's all about to change. I'll have to look up the weather channel.

Really enjoying your review. Thanks for spending all the time it takes to put it together :)

Thanks so much. :)

Thanks

Was going to buy my wife the 830 until I read a lot of reviews about the battery only lasting about 50 shots

Oh really? Well, I can tell you this much. I purchased my 830 that Thursday at sea and used it several times (it comes with the battery 70% charged) that day then fully charged it. I used it on Friday all day along with my other Olympus and since I have arrived at home. I haven't charged it yet.

(I just turned it on and it still shows a full battery). So obviously mine doesn't have any problems with the battery. :D

Thanks for the details you captured on your trip. We leave on Aug 2. Traveling with a small group..1 - 16 yo, 2 - 12 yo, 1 - 6 yo, 3 seniors and 3 fun adults.;):D...

what is the fee for the late night Splash Academy?

Do you know if the 10-12 group can come in and out as they please or do we have to sign them out?

We have heard iffy things about Coki Beach..drug sales, arguments between "servers", hassling over hair braiding and tshirt sales, overcrowding, bad facilities. Did you experience any of this and considering my "group" should we venture there or do you suggest any other bay that we can snorkel on with clean facilities?

Sitting services at 10:30pm is $6.00/hr. Then you get a reduced rate for sibblings after that.

I honestly don't know if the 10-12 year olds can sign themselves in and out. Sakari has a few more years to go to hit that group and I'm not rushing things. :D Hopefully someone can chime in and answer that for you.

I have heard so many things about Coki too, but we experienced none of that (other than our server, Michelle, scolding us about ordering off her son). I actually didn't see anyone braiding hair, drug sales (didn't even smell anything and I even walked up and down the entire beach), and the only person I seen selling anything was purses for some reason (which I thought was weird on a beach). They didn't ask over and over and just went up and down the beach holding them along their arms.

Honestly, I would never hesitate to go here again. It was just an amazing experience. If you are into snorkeling...it's definitely a "do not miss" destination.