Bed Orientation, help me compile a list

sashas_mom

The other wall of B429 on the

Royal.

Thank you for the pics. I'm sure they will be helpful to those who are getting a balcony cabin.

However, on this thread I'm collecting info on obstructed cabins or Ocean view cabins and how the beds in the cabins are configured, whether under the window or against the wall.:)

We were on the Star E633 had beds on the side wall a couple of weeks ago.

Although fire door next to us, really wasn't bothered by the noise outside.Felt like the cabin may have been a little bit wider.

Most of the cabins around us had the same configuration. Noticed as we got more midship, there seem to be some with beds under the window.

Cabins were so much smaller, was really pleased we had the bigger cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've gleaned, the Gem ships, which includes the Emerald, the configuration is against the wall. You need to make sure it isn't a quad cabin as that changes things. If there are just two of you, you don't want a quad cabin.

Island Princess Plaza deck unobstructed view cabins -- under the window.

Sapphire & Diamond Princess Emerald deck obstructed view cabins -- under the window

FYI, I've found that with the bed under the window, the view is less important than noise. Cabins on either side of a fire door have a metal strip in the floor in the hallway and every time a cart or room service rolls over the strip, there's banging and rattling. After having E701 on the Sapphire in January, I had booked the same cabin for my March 1 cruise so when I got home, I immediately changed it. All I really need is light and can live without the rattling from the wee hours of the morning.

epana3yr.jpg

Never even thought of this! I guess in all our cruises never have been near a fire door! Quickly looked at the deck plan for our next cruise in March on the Star Princess and found our cabin to be just about 1/2 between two fire doors. Guess I lucked out again. But future cruises, I will be looking out for those fire doors! Thanks for the great tip.

Pooh

From what I've gleaned' date=' the Gem ships, which includes the Emerald, the configuration is against the wall. You need to make sure it isn't a quad cabin as that changes things. If there are just two of you, you don't want a quad cabin.[/quote']

Thank you very much for the info.

Information I recently discovered about Royal/Regal.

I couldn't stop thinking about the picture of E505 on Renmar's site and why the picture didn't seem right. I watched a video of the Royal that someone took and clearly it shows that E505 is between the Davits but not with a lifeboat in front of it. I took a screen shot of the video so I could enlarge the picture. today I came across Dave's picture of E506 on CC and it looked like the same pic as on Renmar's site. So I decided to look at the deck plans. if you look at the deck plans you can see the two cabins are aligned but the placement of the lifeboats are not exactly the same.,,the Starboard side shows E505 between the Davits, whereas E506 has part of the lifeboat in front of it.

Just thought you'd want to know the port side views and Starboard side views might not be the same on the Royal/Regal.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Grand's E415 Partially obstructed view's beds are against the wall. We loved this cabin in March 2013 SFO-HI. At first we were frustrated there were no stairs down to the Promenade Deck...but we quickly figured we could use the staff/emergency stairs to go down one flight. Typically we never saw a soul...but once or twice there was what appeared to be a shift change staff meeting (10-12 folks) and we'd just use the elevator.

Edited by Memtn901

The Grand's E415 Partially obstructed view's beds are against the wall. We loved this cabin in March 2013 SFO-HI. At first we were frustrated there were no stairs down to the Promenade Deck...but we quickly figured we could use the staff/emergency stairs to go down one flight. Typically we never saw a soul...but once or twice there was what appeared to be a shift change staff meeting (10-12 folks) and we'd just use the elevator.

Thank you. So, the stair doors weren't locked? We are midship on Emerald deck, if we could use the stairs that would be awesome. Are the stair doors near the panoramic elevators or elsewhere?

Just realized that I posted pics of the beds and the "obstruction", but didn't state the orientation of the beds. Their on the interior wall. The opposite wall has the closet, and behind that is the walkway/corridor to the observation area (port side)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The stair doors were not locked. We were on the starboard side (I think...E415) and just fwd to the elevator lobby. The door to the stairs is in the hall behind the bank of regular (not panoramic) elevators. We discovered the stairs during muster and just keep using them.

The stair doors were not locked. We were on the starboard side (I think...E415) and just fwd to the elevator lobby. The door to the stairs is in the hall behind the bank of regular (not panoramic) elevators. We discovered the stairs during muster and just keep using them.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply:)

• 10 months later...
Fire doors are where the first number in the cabin number changes. For instance, between E633 and E701. You'll see the door symbol on the deck plan.

I realize this is an old post ... but this is the most valuable info ever. I have never realized this before and now will not book a room without checking this first. Thanks Pam!!

I booked a last minute cruise on the Grand to Mexico with my parents E425 on the Emerald deck. I looked at the pictures on Google site posted. I'm still worried about size and the orientation. It says the bottom beds can't be configured into a queen. Ah well we'll see.

I booked a last minute cruise on the Grand to Mexico with my parents E425 on the Emerald deck. I looked at the pictures on Google site posted. I'm still worried about size and the orientation. It says the bottom beds can't be configured into a queen. Ah well we'll see.

Your cabin has upper bunks, to accommodate the 3rd/4th passenger (obviously, since you're booked in with your parents). In those cabins, it is indeed noted on the deck plan that the lower beds cannot be made into a queen, as the space between the beds on the floor is needed for the ladder up to the bunks. Some stewards will put them together anyway; you'll have to ask once you're onboard.

As for orientation, the beds will have their heads on the window wall, since it's a cabin with the extra bunks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Yikes 4 of you in there will be tight! :(