Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:36 PM.
OH
25,374 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
As soon as we arrived at the FTTF customer service desk and told them we were ready to head over to HMC, they immediately told us to "follow me" and off we went, down the back way, around the crowd and onto the boat. Pretty cool.

Now I had pre-warned Kendra that we would not be waiting on them to get their tender tickets and wait to be called...since we had the VIP FTTF and all...yes, I rubbed it in since she had been rubbing in the slot win. Hey, I'm allowed right? I told her to get off the tender and head left toward the "ship".

When we got on the tender, they were calling tender tickets 6-11 at that time. So, no we were not the first off the ship, but I was ok with that. Hey, we were busy getting our bellies full at the time.

The ride was very short and we were pulling in to this little area that looked like it had been a canal carved out for their entrance. (NCL has the same thing now since they have re-vamped their private island).

They had canon's pointed toward us...I'm not sure if this is welcoming or telling us to behave while there or they'll feed us to the pirates. Let's just say that I DID NOT BEHAVE.

Me glancing over at the beach area while pulling in.

Taking a peek at our beautiful Pride waiting on us in the distance.

Pulling in. There were several boats in the area.

Now the tender ride over took us 3 minutes to get there and get this....it actually took them 5 MINUTES TO PARK!!! Like seriously. Longer to park than the ride over. I just had to laugh.

You can tell they are still working on the island and also improving it (not that I personally know what the island looked like before...but what private island isn't always getting constant improvements)?

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
EPIC SPIRIT PEARL STAR JEWEL GETAWAY SUN SKY DAWN BREAKAWAY JADE EPIC
CARNIVAL:
Dream Pride Breeze Fascination Conquest Magic
ARUBA: Arashi Beaches Animals Sites
BAHAMAS:Great Stirrup Cay Half Moon Cay Blue Lagoon Melia Junkanoo Paradise
BARBADOS:Boatyard
BELIZE:Cavetubing Cavetubing Bannister Shark Ray Alley Goffs Rendezvous
BERMUDA: Horseshoe Snorkel Park Tobacco St Catherines Achilles Jet Ski/boat rental Warwick-Horseshoe Long Bay-Clearwater Tobacco Snorkel Park
COSTA MAYA:Almaplena Maya Chan Nohoch Blue KayBlueKay
COZUMEL:Chankanaab Dolphin Swim Chankanaab Nachi Playa Mia Sanchos Passion Island Palancar Money Bar Paradise
CURACAO Diving
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC:Saona
GRAND CAYMAN:Stingray Sandbar Stingrays, Rum Point
GRAND TURK:BohioGovernorsGibbs
ROATAN: LFKey LFK Maya Key West Bay ZiplineLFK scuba
SAN JUAN:Pamelas
ST KITTS:Reggae Carambola
ST LUCIA: Jalousie
ST MAARTEN:Orient & Maho Mullet Maho Divi Pinel
ST THOMAS:Saphhire Coki Linquist Coki
TORTOLA: Baths
OH
25,374 Posts
Joined Jan 2010

The entrance with the actual name of the island on it.

Now I just wanted to give you all a little history lesson... maybe??? Half Moon Cay is actually called Little (or Fort) San Salvador (as shown in the picture above when you enter). This island was actually owned by NCL and use to be their private island until it was purchased by Holland America in 1996... or at least that's what I read online. Anyone know this to be true? It really has me wondering since the first time I ever cruise was back in 1989 and it was with NCL and I SWEAR that the private island they have now (Great Stirrup Cay) seems nothing like it is now...and by nothing I mean I remember soft beautiful sand (and it does not have that now) and I definitely do not remember any type of huge rocks sticking out of the water as it is now (and I mean rocks that couldn't have been just placed there). It makes me wonder if I have been to this place before? Or maybe they didn't use this place back then even if they owned it? I have no clue. Just wondering if anyone actually knows other than reading it online.

We had our pictures taken after we got off the tender.

We got off and headed into the port shopping area.
It was small and to me seemed like it had just been developed recently...or either they planned it that way.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
BERMUDA: Horseshoe Snorkel Park Tobacco St Catherines Achilles Jet Ski/boat rental Warwick-Horseshoe Long Bay-Clearwater Tobacco Snorkel Park
COZUMEL:Chankanaab Dolphin Swim Chankanaab Nachi Playa Mia Sanchos Passion Island Palancar Money Bar Paradise
CURACAO Diving
OH
25,374 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Can anyone confirm if you are allowed to walk up these steps at this building to get pictures of the area? Just wondering. I didn't do it for fear of being shot by one of the canon's coming in.

I did like the building and the color they used. It kinda reminded me of the Costa Maya port with the architecture and color.

Ok, so let's be honest here...I really did not spend any time here at the shopping area when I arrived. Seriously...most of you know me around here and I'm a beach/water freak (and so is Sakari)...we got off the boat, passed all the up and headed straight for the beach!!!

However, for the sake of the review, I will go ahead and give you the pictures of this small shopping port area now just to get it out of the way. We visited it on the way back to the ship (kicking and screaming I might add) and that's when a majority of these pictures were taken.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
OH
25,374 Posts
Joined Jan 2010

This would be the tiny shop that I visited to grab me a HMC tee shirt and NO MAGNET!! Gasp! Sigh. Ok, this would be the first time I was not able to get Sakari a magnet for her collection with the name of the place.

I must have really liked this conch shell wall thingymabob...I took enough pictures of it. I guess it was the only neat thing there to begin with.

Palm tree shadows, because everyone loves a palm tree right?

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
OH
25,374 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
There's another reminder for me...this had to be a sign.

Ok let's get to the nitty gritty and head out toward the beach where we (I) all wanna be.

We stepped out onto the sand and ahhhhh, it was so soft and fluffy and the water was so beautiful.

The beach was absolutely stunning.

We walked toward the pirate ship and looked for a place. The hubby got a little burned yesterday, so he wanted the shade. Now...I will state this...we hardly ever rent anything when we are on a beach. We hardly even get beach chairs if they are not free. I can put my beach towel down on the sand and be perfectly happy sitting or laying there. I know some people have to have a chair or lounger and some have to have an umbrella...not me. I could care less. I'm not going to spend any amount of time there to begin with so why bother. We have rented a chair and umbrella and shared it once I believe and that was only because Kendra and her bf was with us and insisted. So, we don't know the first thing about how this works with the rentals.

However, the hubby was insisting shade and he knew that he wanted a clam shell. We stopped and ask a staff member that was running up and down the beach about renting one and if we did that with him. He said no, that there would be someone that came by to rent it from and pick one. So pick one we did.

We set up shop and daddy was happy for his shade and Sakari could care less and only wanted to head to the water.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
OH
25,374 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Since Sakari was chompin' at the bit to get in the water and driving me nuts about it I lathered her up with the slimy cream cheese wannabe spread from the ship...just kidding, spf 9084 and then laughed and told her I needed to take a picture of my masterpiece first before we went down to the water.

We touched the water and yikes...cold.

The water was absolutely GORGEOUS!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
OH
25,374 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Daddy adventured into the cold water to get cooled off.

He went back to his lounging and I adventured the rest of the way into the water.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
475 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by mitsugirly
[FONT

We touched the water and yikes...cold.

[/font]

You should frame this one - what a beautiful picture
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Epic 2011
Royal Caribbean Monarch of Seas 2013
Norwegian Breakaway 2014
Carnival Glory 2015
Norwegian Getaway December 2016
Indiana
407 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Taylor95
You should frame this one - what a beautiful picture

I agree. It's gorgeous!! She is too cute !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
**Amber**

1/28/2018 Carnival Conquest
4/24/2016 Carnival Conquest
1/3/2016 Carnival Conquest
1/15/2012 Carnival Valor
12/5/2010 Carnival Valor
3/8/2010 Carnival Fantasy
11/7/2009 Carnival Destiny *Platinum Cruise*
2/1/2009 Carnival Pride
3/7/2008
Carnival Inspiration
1/6/2008 Carnival Valor
3/12/2007 Carnival Inspiration
3/2/2007 Carnival Fascination
1/1/2006 Carnival Destiny
1/3/2005 Carnival Imagination
1/3/2003 Carnival Fascination
3/31/2002 Carnival Fantasy

504 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by caddykid12
I will also be staying at BW elksridge! !! Can u please elaborate more about your check in experience?

You were in fact able to sign up for a shuttle upon check in? And had no problem leaving to the port at the time u wanted?

We stayed there in September and they asked us to sign up for the shuttle at check-in. The driver was even back from the previous shuttle run a little early so we go going earlier as we were out there trying to get everything together (9 of us total with 2 babies and their gear). Great hotel.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Pride September 2014
NCL Breakaway February 2016
Carnival Triumph August 2017
United States
381 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
loving your review abd yes you could have climbed those stairs to take some pics i did the last time i was there and they kept the shopping area small because the main attraction of HMC is the beach
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
OH
25,374 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
I was still busy taking it all in and I turned around and seen the hubby leave our camp and head toward the pirate ship. I thought either a) he needed to find the restroom or b) he needed to find a drink or c) he was out looking how to rent the cabana. (c won)

He walked down to the last cabana and I watch him walk up the steps with everyone at the cabana kinda starring at him in amazement like he was invading their space (and he was unknowingly) and I'm sitting here thinking "can he honestly think this is a restroom or something?". I see them point toward the pirate ship. Ahhh, I bet he felt silly. LOL

I decided to get out of the water for a few and get a drink.

**I came up with a brilliant idea...after so many years of cruising I'm not sure why I hadn't thought of this before... but I have a small material cooler, that I have always used when I go out to the pool or to the park for our pop. I decided I would take this along with us this time, take some plastic baggies, have the room steward (who graciously filled both baggies each morning with ice for us for the port) fill the bags with ice, put 4 pops in the cooler and put the ice in the bags around it (eliminating any melting and dripping inside the cooler). We had free drinks for the day. GO ME! They stayed ICE COLD all day long and when we were done with the cooler, we threw the rest of the ice out and the cooler actually folds up and velcros real small and back in our bag it goes. BRILLIANT I TELL YA! I will be doing this from now on on every cruise and save $$!!!****

So anyhow, I'm getting a drink and waiting for the hubby to return so that I can make fun of him for going into someone's cabana. Now here's where things get hairy and I start to lose my cool....

A kid comes over to me (around 7 years old or so) and says "You have to rent these cabanas". Um...ok. Which is what I said and then said "thank you". He stood there starring at me. I said "Do you need something else?" He said "You need to go find the person to rent this cabana." Um...ok again. Who is this kid? The cabana police? I said "My husband is doing that but thanks for your concern." He continued to say it over and over a few times...so at this point I'm getting a little perturbed with him and I just started saying "THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! Are you done?" So he walked away.

He went back to his family who had a bunch of people both adults and kids that had taken up the first few rows of chairs down by the beach. I see the father get up and look at me. What the heck? He's walking my way. He repeats what his son said. At this point I'm more than tired of this lecture and I say "Can you tell me why this is any of your concern? My husband has been trying to rent one since we sat down. He has ask several employees and he went looking for someone...Now tell me why this concerns you and why are you making it your business what we are doing?" His reply is "Because we just rented this one a minute ago." UM OK.....Now I'm more than hot and I'm about to lose my temper and that doesn't happen often when on vacation...my happy go lucky is not so happy go lucky now. So of course at this point I have a firm mean voice going and I say "OUT OF ALL.....(pointing profusely) these cabana's up and down this beach and all these located right here (about 5-6 of them) YOU decided to pick the ONE that WE are sitting at and have already set up our things???" We had our bags there, our towels on the chairs, our snorkeling equipment all over pulled out, our cooler out, suntan lotion out and was all comfortable and THIS is the cabana he decided he wanted??? Seriously? How f'n rude! The cabana beside us to the left wasn't good enough? Or the one after that? Or the cabana on the right wasn't good enough? Or any after that? There wasn't ANYONE in ANY of them. But NO, he wanted OURS!!! His reply was "well, we just paid for THIS one and I have my receipt." I let him know how pissed off I was and said whatever...I'll move over one, but you won't be happy.

The hubby came back with his paid receipt for the cabana and the guy ask us which we wanted and we moved over just 1...which actually was a better location because we could now see down the pathway between the chairs to the water easier and set up camp AGAIN.

The family that purchased the cabana brought some of their things over and the little boy that first approached me to let me know "the rules" sat in the chair beside me and faced me starring the entire time. At one point he said "What's that?" when I was messing with something and just starred. Seriously annoying. I took our blowed up raft and wedged it between our cabanas to block him off a little. Most of the time they continued to stay down at all the chairs they had saved by the water. Obviously these are the chair hogs of the ship as well.

Now I'm usually a pretty easy going person, most know that about me, but when you do something like this...I'm sorry, it's rude, it's not nice and that makes me not nice.

Ok, end of rant and we are set up at our new camp.

Back to enjoying the view.

Back to playing in the water

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
OH
25,374 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Heading up to the pirate boat to take some interesting pictures.

Inside the boat is the bar and also restrooms:

The upper deck of the boat

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
Philadelphia Pa
369 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
Originally posted by mitsugirly
Hmm, I have something in my signature line that shows the ship picture and it says : 1 month 1 week and 6 days until our Dawn to Bermuda cruise on it.

Thanks for commenting and glad you are enjoying the review. More coming up later today.
Oh my goodness! I was so busy reading everything else, I never noticed that
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Julie U
Philly Cruisers Meet and Mingle Here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44364
Sea Princess 1999
Celebrity Horizon 2001
HAL Rotterdam 2004
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2005
Norwegian Dawn 2006
Norwegian Crown 2007
Norwegian Majesty 9/2008
Norwegian Majesty 10/2008
Norwegian Gem 5/22/2011
Carnival Pride 2/20/2016
OH
25,374 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Walking around the grounds.

I headed back to our new camp and told the hubby it was time to eat and I had found where they are serving food while I was out walking around. Sakari was more than ready to eat and had already ask us several times already about it.

We kept hearing a rooster cockadoodledoo and we headed that way.

One of the MANY areas to eat at. The one thing I really liked about this place was so many area's to eat in, it felt secluded and had nice landscaping around it. The only problem was that if you didn't pay attention to where you were sitting, you would get lost getting back....and I did.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving