Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:29 PM.
CT
122 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Kim, I'm loving your review and looking forward to the daily update. Sakari looks adorable in the mermaid tail and it sounds like she truly believes that she has morphed into one! No cruise for me until the end of May so I'm living vicariously with your report The Jade looks like a great ship, but your steward needs to be replaced! Looking forward to the next update -
Sandy
144 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Great review as usual.

Thanks for detailing your beach day in Cozumel as well. We're headed there again in June and will be in port docked for 2 days. We're planning to do Mr. Sanchos again on one of the port days but weren't so sure about our second day. Your pictures are amazing.

Also, the Belize beach excursion looked amazing as well. I'd read about that company before but wasn't so sure about what they offered based on lack of reviews.
6,319 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
All caught up.
I totally love the mermaid tail. That is the cutest thing. I knew they made them for adults but I didn't know they did for kids too.

I have had that issue with the time changing on my iphone several times. I assume you have an iphone too? I know several people who have them that have had that same thing happen. It's super annoying. It's done it both in the Caribbean and in Alaska too. I got a new one in Oct and the last cruise I took (In Feb) it did not change so maybe the upgraded versions are better now?

Your stateroom host is just awful. I totally understand how you just don't feel like reporting him. But now that you are home I would write an email to NCL and let them know.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Are you Ever Coming Home. 10 night Fantasy
NCL Epic Day Tour
Boo to the Halloween on the High Seas Crew, Fantasy, Oct. 2017
Sailing with the Gang, DCL Magic, Feb 2016
NCL Jewel to Alaska Aug. 2015
Disney World and Magic March 2014 Report
Caribbean Princess Report Sept. 2014
Disney World & Dream Report Nov. 2012
Disney Magic Report Sept. 2012
Disney Dream Tour Aug. 2011
Disney Dream Report March 2011
Oregon
599 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
I totally understand not wanting to report your steward while you are there because he has the key to everything you own and could really mess with your vacation if he wanted. There was no way to lock him out or be safe if he got mad. I was thinking about how it feels to have someone be able to walk in to your private life any time he wants. I agree that now that you are home you need to write and report him so that next time he doesn't go too far and really abuse a cruiser. He was totally over the top.
Florida
1,551 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
I found it! Glad I saw your comment about needing to finish this review on your other thread. I'll start reading tomorrow when I have the time.

Oh, belated Happy Birthday! You got to go on a cruise so I'm sure it was a happy one.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nancy

OH
24,630 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by mnventure
I don't mean to hijack your review Mitsu, but I was on another social media account and saw an ad for this: http://m.dresslily.com/new-artist-pl...ct1211774.html

And I thought your mermaid would love it. When I googled it, it looks like you can get similar ones on other sites for cheaper.

I've seen the mermaid swim outfit before, but not this...so I thought I would share.
Thanks for looking out for me. I have seen that before, but with it being crocheted, she wouldn't be able to swim in it. (I'll let you in on a little secret, I bought her another mermaid tail for her birthday coming up AND I found that they also sold mermaid blankets and bought one of those. They are called cuddle tails http://cdn.finfunmermaid.com/media/c...sia-teal_1.jpg)

Originally posted by mykindaparty
Hey Kim, just found this thread, happy late late birthday!! Sukari is rowing up before our eyes into a beautiful young lady. I love her mermaid outfit. Can't wait to read the rest of your review......Patiently waiting.....
Thanks for the birthday wishes. Yea, she's growing up a little too fast for me.
OH
24,630 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by fabnfortysomething
sorry to hear about your hassle with the room steward
Do you ever attend the meet and greet?
senior ships officers attend and give out a card with the heads of departments telephone numbers with requests to contact them in case of problems

When we have had an issue that room steward or guest services are slow to respond to a call to head of housekeeping has worked instant results!
No, there wasn't enough time to get involved with the meet & greet since it was such a last minute thing. I did join the social media site but was so busy packing, trying to tie up lose ends with work and last minute planning that I really didn't have a chance to "connect" with others. I "normally" attend them all and on most, I have actually been the planner for our sail group.

Originally posted by Cruise-mom
Is the only way of getting beach towels, from your room steward? I thought I read somewhere a while ago you could get some on the pool deck? I feel this is something that would irk me if they weren't left for us.

Kim, I think you were too quiet!
Yes, you can get beach towels from up at the pool, but that requires you to sign them out, use your room card (because now it would mean that you are signing out extra towels and will have to pay for them if they are not returned back there). I just didn't want the hassel of that either and if something was to happen to one of them...I'd be screwed and have to pay $25 for those cheap things.

Yea, I probably was too quiet.
OH
24,630 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by tawaik
Your reviews are the best. I feel like your talking directly to me sharing your cruise experiences. The details that you give make me feel like I was there with you.

You have a lovely family and your daughter is the cutest mermaid that I have ever seen Your husband gave you the best gift ever!!

Happy Belated Birthday and thanks for always sharing your cruise experiences.
Aww, you make me blush. thanks so much for your kind words. I really appreciate it. Thanks for the birthday wishes as well.

Originally posted by CTSandy
Kim, I'm loving your review and looking forward to the daily update. Sakari looks adorable in the mermaid tail and it sounds like she truly believes that she has morphed into one! No cruise for me until the end of May so I'm living vicariously with your report The Jade looks like a great ship, but your steward needs to be replaced! Looking forward to the next update -
Sandy

Thanks Sandy and glad you are enjoying the review. She really does think she's a mermaid in disguise. She has quite the imagination.
OH
24,630 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by Destaw71835
Great review as usual.

Thanks for detailing your beach day in Cozumel as well. We're headed there again in June and will be in port docked for 2 days. We're planning to do Mr. Sanchos again on one of the port days but weren't so sure about our second day. Your pictures are amazing.

Also, the Belize beach excursion looked amazing as well. I'd read about that company before but wasn't so sure about what they offered based on lack of reviews.
Thank you. I hope you have a wonderful time when you go to Cozumel. We always do and just love it there. I really want to take a land vacation there some day and just hit up all the places.

Originally posted by jenseib
All caught up.
I totally love the mermaid tail. That is the cutest thing. I knew they made them for adults but I didn't know they did for kids too.

I have had that issue with the time changing on my iphone several times. I assume you have an iphone too? I know several people who have them that have had that same thing happen. It's super annoying. It's done it both in the Caribbean and in Alaska too. I got a new one in Oct and the last cruise I took (In Feb) it did not change so maybe the upgraded versions are better now?

Your stateroom host is just awful. I totally understand how you just don't feel like reporting him. But now that you are home I would write an email to NCL and let them know.
Yes, I have an iphone, but have the latest one, so that can't be it. I will just make sure I have my watch on while on the ship as well. I usually only wear my watch during port days so that I'll be able to have something that I can tell time and swim in. I learned my lesson this time. LOL
Stuart, FL by way of North Shore, MA
1,078 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Mermaids must be popular right now. SNL had a mermaid skit last night. Three fishermen rescued by 3 mermaids. One mermaid was part blob fish. It was funny.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

I Love Transatlantics
OH
24,630 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by lindaler
I totally understand not wanting to report your steward while you are there because he has the key to everything you own and could really mess with your vacation if he wanted. There was no way to lock him out or be safe if he got mad. I was thinking about how it feels to have someone be able to walk in to your private life any time he wants. I agree that now that you are home you need to write and report him so that next time he doesn't go too far and really abuse a cruiser. He was totally over the top.
You are right, I probably should have reported him at the time and I really do need to write NCL about him. I have just never experienced something like this. The NCL crew have always been simply amazing and bend over backwards for you. It was just so odd.

Originally posted by perfect match
I found it! Glad I saw your comment about needing to finish this review on your other thread. I'll start reading tomorrow when I have the time.

Oh, belated Happy Birthday! You got to go on a cruise so I'm sure it was a happy one.

Yippe! You found it! (I put a link in my signature after you said something about it). Thanks for the bday wishes.
OH
24,630 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by keeponcruising
Mermaids must be popular right now. SNL had a mermaid skit last night. Three fishermen rescued by 3 mermaids. One mermaid was part blob fish. It was funny.

Oh that's funny. Yep, they seem to be the "in" thing these days. There's a lot of mermaid shows out too that she watches and a series as well.
OH
24,630 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
DAY 5 ROATAN

I set the alarm for 6:30am and we headed to the buffet for breakfast in search of eggs that were not runny. I was NOT successful.

I settled for the cholesterol rising french toast, yummy sugary whipped cream and the I'm gonna be a diabetic soon syrup.

Here we come Roatan...WITH my pool towels this time!

We have arrived...like seriously...we're here...where we will stay...in the water docked. Darnit. We would be tendering this time around thanks to the Dawn getting priority and they are not even here yet.

They lowered the life boats and the hubby said we would be using those. I informed him that they do the life boat drills every week and that's probably what they were doing. (I was wrong and he rubbed it in of course).

Minnesota
152 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
[quote=mitsugirly;49382081]Thanks for looking out for me. I have seen that before, but with it being crocheted, she wouldn't be able to swim in it. (I'll let you in on a little secret, I bought her another mermaid tail for her birthday coming up AND I found that they also sold mermaid blankets and bought one of those. They are called cuddle tails http://cdn.finfunmermaid.com/media/c...sia-teal_1.jpg)

Yeah....I assumed the crochet version would be used as a blanket when she's at home and doesn't have access to water. 😉
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

First Cruise Ever: Norwegian Star - January 2013, Western Caribbean
OH
24,630 Posts
Joined Jan 2010

We headed back to the room to pick up our bags (and towels) and headed down to get off around 8:15am. We were up on the pool deck and I swear they did not make an announcement that we had been cleared and could leave. I just happened to look over the edge and seen them letting people onto the boats to take them over to the port. Grr.

We flashed our VIP Platinum Special People We've Spent So Much Money With Your Company cards and we were directed toward the line for the tenders. We made it to the steps and stopped, without moving, for a good 5 minutes. The wonderful crew member at the bottom of the stairs informed us that the Dawn was making her grand entrance and taking the "parking spot" at the dock and there would be a delay. This guy was so funny and kept us entertained while we waited. You know, what we are normally use to with the NCL crew, unlike Rasfah. I'm just glad we stopped on the steps...it gave me a place to rest my newly 50 year old legs until they were moving again.

It was a short tender ride over. Sakari insisted on stopping for pictures after getting off the boat because these were the friendly characters.

The dancers were out in full force and wanting your tips.

We would quickly wind our way out of the port area and onto the street to look for our tour guide and van.

OH
24,630 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
So once again, we are headed to Little French Key for the (I think) 3rd time. There are so many changes each time we go it's just simply amazing. You think they can't do any more and then they prove you wrong. This is seriously the most beautiful place on earth.

We made it outside the port where we "normally" meet Dave or Larry and immediately seen their bright shirts with LFK on it. They took our group waiting down the road...and down the road...and ???? I was wondering where we were going since we were walking into the little town. This was odd. We have always waited directly outside the gates for the van to pull up and get in. This time we would have to go into town and wait. I believe I overheard one of them saying that there was an issue with pulling up at the gates now and were forced to go down the road...but then again, they weren't talking to me, so I was just catching parts of the convo.

A van pulled up and people piled in. Once again, we were first in line and everyone had managed to get in front of us and now the van was packed. Off they went. We were assured that the other van was just parked across the street and now on its way over. It arrived and we all piled in. The hubby always gets the front seat in everything we do. I have to laugh about this. LOL

Then we were off and seeing the sites along the way. We pulled away at 8:50am.

South Jersey
256 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Mitsugirly , do they give you the platinum card or did you have to ask for it? We will become platinum on our up coming cruise. I'm thinking I will have to wait until it's over but that is the first I've heard of a card showing platinum. I love your review but I think ....actually I know I would have reported that room steward...keep the review going! Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RC Splendour of the Seas 4/97
RC Enchantment of the Seas 2/2000
NCL Sun 3/02
NCL Sea 10/03
NCL Majesty 2/04
NCL Pearl 2/2/07
Caribbean Princess 1/25/09.....just not the Pearl..
Carnival Fascination 2/11/10
NCL Star 1/29/12
NCL Sun 1/22/14
NCL Sun 3/8/15
NCL Pearl 3/24/16

upcoming... NCL Dawn 3/11/18
OH
24,630 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
I have to mention that we got stuck behind a car that was going SO SLOW and it was quite aggravating. I just wanted to get to paradise ASAP and it wasn't happening as quickly as it normally does. This person in front of us was ridiculous. We were 4 cars behind him. One by one the cars in front of us started passing this slow car. Then it was finally our turn. Yippee!

We were passing Carnivals Mahogany Bay at 9:03.

So, if you are on Carnival and docking at Mahogany Bay, lucky you. It's a much shorter ride for you guys. The first time we ever went to LFK, we were docked here and you can tell it's a shorter ride. Well, you cut at least 13 minutes off the ride.

This is the mayors house. I over heard someone (on our ride back) saying that the driver told him the house was up for sale. They mayor couldn't afford the payment on it so he was selling it.

We are heading into "Spanish Town", which is where the Mexicans live here. Now when we get that close, I know that the turn off to LFK is right up the road. This little town is for Mexicans ONLY. The driver said "No people of color are allowed here". While it's great they have a little community of their own, I found it weird that they still have some segregation there.

OH
24,630 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
We pass the huge shopping "Mega Plaza"

Considering all that has been going on with LFK and their animals over the last year, I found it odd that they were able to put up a sign in town, but it did catch my eye.

I immediately know where our turn off is located and I threw my hand up and pointed right before we got there. I don't know why I did it. It was just a reaction. People in the van looked at me weird. I crawled back into my hole of happy places and continued taking pictures.

One of the luxury hotels along the way

OH
24,630 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
When you head down that road, you immediately notice the houses getting nicer and bigger with plush yards and landscaping along the way. You know you are getting close.

Then boom! You hit the gravel pot holed road that leads to LFK. The driver would swerve back and forth to avoid hitting the holes and allow us to remain in our seats instead of on the roof. The hubby said "I don't know why Kevah (the owner of LFK) doesn't just pave this road". I quickly reminded him that we have new houses going up 3 doors down from us, which is making such a muddy mess on our street, and he doesn't take his own money to clean the street every day for the neighbors, so why would Kevah use his money to pave a road that's not his? "Hmm, good point" he replies.

The place at Frenchy 44 has really grown up as well. They did have these stables last time we were here, but everything is matching with the restaurant, houses and everything...they match over at LFK too.