Excursions that you would never want to have missed

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Mexican Riviera
Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:58 AM.
#1
NZ
206 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Hi - for those familiar with these cruises, particularly Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta, what is the one at each you can look back on and say "I would definitely recommend" to a newbie?
#2
251 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
las caletas in PV, boat trip around lands end/arches in cabo. Loved stone island and walking around the market/cathedral to get a glimpse of the real mazatlan.
#3
NZ
206 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Thanks Maui. Your list is rather close to what I have been thinking about, but am a bit put off by the price of the Las Caletas. However I have seen only such positive comments about it and maybe should make it a special case.

My youngest is mad about turtles so still thinking about trying to fit something in for him.
#4
251 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by johno1234
Thanks Maui. Your list is rather close to what I have been thinking about, but am a bit put off by the price of the Las Caletas. However I have seen only such positive comments about it and maybe should make it a special case.

My youngest is mad about turtles so still thinking about trying to fit something in for him.
yes, the price is high but the trip is well worth it. We are sailing on the jewel in april and with two kids, my hubby and myself we will be skipping it this year $500-ouch! its a great trip though. If I hadn't been twice before I would bite the bullet but not in the cards this year. If you have time in PV, a day trip to yelapa is fun too.
#5
California
1,416 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Rhythm of the Night in PV, the most awesome experience ever! It's Las Caletas for dinner and a show. Fantastic!

In Cabo, Whale watching on the Zodiacs if you there during season. Also the Glass Bottom boats that your the Arches is great. Should be able to that for ten bucks each then take a pedicab around town, beats walking. We did a self guided taco tour this way, great fun.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
11/28/2017 Grand Princess - 10 Day Mexico from SF

11/26/2016 Carnival Miracle to Hawaii-Platinum
4/24/2016 NCL Jewel - Mexico, booked 4 DAYS OUT!
1/31/2016 Carnival Miracle - Mexico 13 day
2/28/2015 Crown Princess - Mexico with Sis
11/29/2014 Carnival Miracle - Mexico B2B
11/22/2014 Carnival Miracle - Mexico
12/10/2013 MSC Divina -YACHT CLUB- Caribbean
1/2013 Carnival Splendor - Hawaii
2/2012 Carnival Splendor Valentine's/Mexico
12/2011 Grand Princess - B2B- Aruba and more
4/2011 HAL Oosterdam - Mexixo
2/2011 Carnival Spirit - Mexico
12/2010 Golden Princess - Hawaii
2/2010 Royal Caribbean Raidance of the Seas-Mexico
12/2009 Carnival Valor - Western Caribbean
12/2008 NCL Star - Mexico
12/2006 NCL Star - Mexico
12/2005 NCL Star - Mexico
#6
NZ
206 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Originally posted by maui07
yes, the price is high but the trip is well worth it. We are sailing on the jewel in april and with two kids, my hubby and myself we will be skipping it this year $500-ouch! its a great trip though. If I hadn't been twice before I would bite the bullet but not in the cards this year. If you have time in PV, a day trip to yelapa is fun too.
I wouldn't mind if it wasn't for the fact that I'm also due to be shaken down at Disneyland on the same trip - and that one makes Las Caletas look like an absolute bargain!
#7
Northern NV
2,968 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by maui07
las caletas in PV, boat trip around lands end/arches in cabo. Loved stone island and walking around the market/cathedral to get a glimpse of the real mazatlan.
I agree with all 3 of these.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises





Past Cruises
NCL Jade 9/2017, NCL Epic 3/2015, NCL Jewel 12/2014, NCL Star 12/2013,
NCL Sun 10/2012, NCL Spirit 4/2012, NCL Pride of America 4/2011, NCL Jade 3/2010

HAL Oosterdam 9/2015, HAL Statendam 9/2014, HAL Statendam 5/2013,
HAL Westerdam 6/2009

Celebrity Equinox 4/2017, Celebrity Millennium 6/2014

Carnival Imagination 10/2016,
Carnival Pride 3/2016, Carnival Imagination 6/2015, Carnival Inspiration 5/2012,
Carnival Freedom 1/2012, Carnival Splendor 8/2011, Carnival Spirit 10/2010,
Carnival Paradise 10/2009, Carnival Fantasy 5/2008, Carnival Elation 9/2007

Caribbean Princess 11/2008, Grand Princess 3/2008, Grand Princess 12/2006

RCL Sovereign of the Seas 8/2008

M/S Nile Carnival 3/2003
#8
58 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
"las caletas in PV, boat trip around lands end/arches in cabo. Loved stone island and walking around the market/cathedral to get a glimpse of the real mazatlan."

I second that list.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#9
998 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by johno1234
I wouldn't mind if it wasn't for the fact that I'm also due to be shaken down at Disneyland on the same trip - and that one makes Las Caletas look like an absolute bargain!
Yeah you're going to drop some bucks at Disney. Let me throw out a few on-the-cheap options.

Cabo we just walk around town a bit, eat tacos at Tacos Gus, margarita at Monkey Busines, maybe a beer at Captain Tony's then head back to the boat.

Mazatlan follow the blue line outside the port gate to the big square, maybe a 10 minute walk. From there it's about two blocks to the Cahedral, then another two blocks to the Mercado. From there walk ( or hire a pulmonia) back to the water taxi terminal. It's about $2 round trip to Stone Island. Walk down the beach to Lety's and spend rest of the day there.

In PV take the bus (or taxi for about $6-8) to the Malecon. You can wonder around there for most of the day, eating, lounging, shopping, or just laying on the beach.
#10
Tennessee
234 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Originally posted by PekingeseLady
Rhythm of the Night in PV, the most awesome experience ever! It's Las Caletas for dinner and a show. Fantastic!

In Cabo, Whale watching on the Zodiacs if you there during season. Also the Glass Bottom boats that your the Arches is great. Should be able to that for ten bucks each then take a pedicab around town, beats walking. We did a self guided taco tour this way, great fun.

We rarely book an excursion through the cruise line; however, we did book Rhythm of the Night. It was one of the best shows, I have ever witnessed. Well worth the money. We are on a cruise this port again in March. Sadly, we are not in port long enough to go a second time. A wonder to behold, and the food was good!
#12
76 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
I can highly recommend doing a food tour in PV. We've done Vallarta Food Tours twice. vallartafoodtours.com Highly recommend. Vallarta eats looks good too. vallartaeats.com


Great way to see and eat the town!


Second comments about just walking Cabo and seeing downtown Mazatlan then heading to Stone Island. Shack up at Lety's.
#14
Sunny Arizona
23 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
The last time we went on the Mexican Riviera cruise in Mazatlan we did the Maria's happy horses. It was inexpensive and we had a great time!! It was $40 per person and it was so much fun riding horses on the beach!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#15
San Diego, CA
5,790 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Another vote for Las Caletas... awesome day at a private beach in paradise (food and drink included).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Otherwise known as 'Don Quique'..
#16
DALLAS TX 'BURB
1,272 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Marking spot


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
11-29-2008 Carnival Ecstasy
01-04-2009 Voyager of the Seas
10-10-2009 Jewel of the Seas
01-04-2014 Caribbean Princess
02-22-2015 Emerald Princess
#18
NZ
206 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Our whole family did the Los Veranos canopy tour ziplines in PV. It was really fun - but it is quite a long ride from the port out there and back in their rattly old bus! But they do know the ship schedule and will make sure you are back in time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#19
Central Texas
100 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
I heartily recommend the Vallarta Food Tour. Food was wonderful with everything from street food to fancy restaurants. You eat and see a lot. You just have to take a taxi from the pier. The tour guide helped us get a taxi back.
#20
Oregon
23 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by Nanascraps
The last time we went on the Mexican Riviera cruise in Mazatlan we did the Maria's happy horses. It was inexpensive and we had a great time!! It was $40 per person and it was so much fun riding horses on the beach!!
Was this through the cruise, booked privately in advanced, or just booked when you got into port?