Ideas for a Day Trip out of London

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
British Isles/Western Europe
Amsterdam, Brugge, Dublin, Edinburgh, London (Dover, Harwich, Southampton)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:47 PM.
29 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Also how are you planning on getting to places as if you have a car it opens up a lot more places.
Please google these for more info
British Royal History.....Hever Castle, or Warwick Castle
If you like military history Duxford RAF Museum or Bovington Tank Museum
If your into historic houses.....Blenheim Palace or Hatfield House
Abbeys......Canterbury or York

And last but not least Stafford upon Avon but that's a bloody long way for a day trip but very pretty ( quite a tourist trap tbh. But still worth a visit)

If you like St Albans it's very close to Hatfield where you can visit stunningly pretty and very historic Hatfield House http://www.hatfield-house.co.uk/

I live between the 2 and more than happy to talk real details if you would like. However as we are off travelling Australia and the USA for 5 months from November we may not be about to join you for a cup of tea and a chat xx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Miss CakeyBun

England
1,211 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by MissCakeyBun
Believe me it's in London I go there regularly......Hampton Court Palace is a royal palace in the borough of Richmond upon Thames, London, England, 11.7 miles (18.8 kilometres) south west and upstream of central London on the River Thames.

It's not central London/ City of London but it's still in London

It is a silly argument, but if you look at the website for the palace, you will see it is in East Molesey, Surrey. However it is certainly on the borders of Greater London. But still a day trip out of London for any tourist staying in central London.
Cotswolds, UK
2,347 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by marylizcat
It is a silly argument, but if you look at the website for the palace, you will see it is in East Molesey, Surrey. However it is certainly on the borders of Greater London. But still a day trip out of London for any tourist staying in central London.

It's in the postal town of East Molesey, which is why that appears in its postal address on the website, but it is physically located in Richmond, which is in London

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Roanoke VA
34 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
St Albans sounds like a good fit for you but it's very hilly and to be honest the Roman Ruins are not very exciting.....please don't think it's anything like Pompeii. If you google Verulamium Museum you will see what I mean.

The Abbey is beautiful and very historic with a wonderful tea rooms in the building next to it. A link here https://www.stalbanscathedral.org/. Will help you.

I think if your husband is able to cope with some cobbled streets and the stroll down the hill and back up to the Abbey you would enjoy it.

When are you thinking of visiting out of interest?

We will be in London from August 18 - 22, the last four days of a three-week trip including a 12-day British Isles cruise. So, Saturday, August 19, seemed like a good day to get out of the city for a day trip.

I would love to see all the places that have been suggested. Every place is appealing, but I'm trying to be sure it's not too difficult for my husband and gives us a break from a very busy trip. St Albans still has appeal for those reasons. My husband can navigate the hills as long as we can go at our own pace - slow ! That's one reason we like to do these trips on our own.

Cambridge and Ely sound interesting, too. When looking at info on Cambridge, I noticed the American Cemetery is close by. I'm wondering how far it is from Cambridge and if there's transportation (bus, etc.) to it. We are visiting the Normandy beaches and American cemetery during a stop in France on our cruise, but it would be nice to see this cemetery as well; it looks beautiful and solemn. Since my husband is a Navy veteran and my son, a Marine veteran from the Iraq war, this is interesting to us.

You and everyone else have some great suggestions. I wish had more time but alas, I will have to chose. St Albans or Cambridge and Ely are the ones that seem to be of most interest. I just need to determine which would be most enjoyable and relaxing.
Roanoke VA
34 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Also how are you planning on getting to places as if you have a car it opens up a lot more places.
Please google these for more info
British Royal History.....Hever Castle, or Warwick Castle
If you like military history Duxford RAF Museum or Bovington Tank Museum
If your into historic houses.....Blenheim Palace or Hatfield House
Abbeys......Canterbury or York

And last but not least Stafford upon Avon but that's a bloody long way for a day trip but very pretty ( quite a tourist trap tbh. But still worth a visit)

If you like St Albans it's very close to Hatfield where you can visit stunningly pretty and very historic Hatfield House http://www.hatfield-house.co.uk/

I live between the 2 and more than happy to talk real details if you would like. However as we are off travelling Australia and the USA for 5 months from November we may not be about to join you for a cup of tea and a chat xx

A cup of tea and a chat sound great and another plus for St. Albans !

As I mentioned in my other post, we are looking at August 19 (Saturday) for our day trip out of London.

Where in the USA are you planning to travel, if you don't mind me asking?
Near Orlando but California Dreaming
14,305 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
You could spend three months in London and still not see or do everything it has to offer. Why the urgency to leave?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises...
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
October 2005--RCCL Mariner Western Caribbean
August 2002--Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.
My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here
20" rolling bag packing list for two weeks in a cool/cold climate here.
1,254 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by wandergal
Cambridge and Ely sound interesting, too. When looking at info on Cambridge, I noticed the American Cemetery is close by. I'm wondering how far it is from Cambridge and if there's transportation (bus, etc.) to it. We are visiting the Normandy beaches and American cemetery during a stop in France on our cruise, but it would be nice to see this cemetery as well; it looks beautiful and solemn.
The American cemetery is on the edge of Cambridge, about two miles from the centre. However the city tour bus includes the Cemetery on its route.

If travelling to Cambridge by train there are two routes out of London, either from Kings Cross or Liverpool Street. There is a slight difference in the length of the journey and differences in the price of the tickets, but both arrive at the same station in Cambridge. The station is about a mile or so from the centre, so you would need to take a taxi to the centre.
Quebec City, QC Canada
4,026 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by saltydog28
How far is Kew Gardens from central London?
Google Maps puts the public transport options from Picadilly Circus to the Victoria Gate entrance at between 35-47 minutes; all easy 1-transfer routes.

Very much worth it, especially the new treetop walkway.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data"

Sovereign of the Seas - 27/01/1998
Norwegian Majesty - 10/02/2003
Diamond Princess - 22/01/2005
Noordam - 03/01/2009
Norwegian Gem - 30/10/2011
Celebrity Equinox - 26/10/2012
Queen Mary 2 - 03/01/2015
12,794 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
We let Golden Tours do the driving for us. We went on a day tour out of London about 18 months ago to: Leeds Castle, Dover, Canterbury and Greenwich. It was probably one of the best tours I've been on because it was so well done. We didn't have enough time in Greenwich to see much of it and it was very dark by the time we were there (winter time) but if had just cut out some of the long breaks at some of the venues, we would've had more time there. Even still, it was a really good tour!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite, RCI Diamond, Celebrity Elite, Cunard Platinum, Azamara Discoverer - 42 Completed Cruises so far
Upcoming Cruises:
2017: 4 completed cruises
2018: Crown Princess, Emerald Princess & Azamara Quest

2019: Ruby Princess, Royal Princess & Azamara Journey?
29 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
A cup of tea and a chat sound great and another plus for St. Albans !

As I mentioned in my other post, we are looking at August 19 (Saturday) for our day trip out of London.

Where in the USA are you planning to travel, if you don't mind me asking?

Please do contact me and I am more than happy to meet for Tea and Chat on the 19th if you do choose St Albans.

As for where we are travelling in the USA?
We fly from Sydney to Hawaii spending 10 days there
Hawaii to Seattle for 8 days ( staying with friends)
Seattle to Orlando for 16 Days ( I've never been to Florida or any Disney park )
We then drive to Charlotte NC ( staying overnight in Savannah on the way) stay with family for a week
Then Drive up to Richmond for 3 days
Then Washington DC for 4 days
Then Gettysburg got 3 days
Then across the states as in the pictures.....to Denver then monument valley, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Monterey, Santa Barbara, LA all by car about 5,500 miles
Then fly to New York for a few days before flying home.....including the Time we are in Australia and New Zealand we will be away from home 5 months

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Miss CakeyBun

Roanoke VA
34 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Sounds like a great trip. We live just 4 hours from Richmond VA. Hope you have a lovely time. Since my last post, our personal situation has changed and we debated cancelling our trip. We have decided to go, but under the circumstances, we will probably opt for a quick excursion down the Thames to Greenwich. But thanks for all the suggestions and help. I appreciate the suggestions and information.
Dunstable UK
1,591 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
We were hoping for a relaxing day - a break from the big tourist areas. Heard that St Albans has a lovely, historic Abbey, some Roman ruins and artifacts and on certain days, a nice market. And wasn't too far out of London. Sounded very appealing, especially toward the end of a three-week trip.

We like history, art and exploring new places. My husband walks with a cane, so hiking and beaches are not practical. Towns and cities afford places to stop and rest so it works out for us. I'd like to see some place beyond the major tourist attractions.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app
I think St Albans would fit your bill easy train ride from London 15 minutes walk from Station may be better to take bus bit uphill Abbey (Now Cathedral) is very interesting and old its in nice park you could walk down to the Lake and have lunch in the Oldest Pub in England. You could climb to the top of the Clock Tower maybe not your husband, nice street market Wednesday & Saturday nice web site http://www.enjoystalbans.com/things-...ns/index.html#
I live 20 minutes by car from St Albans if I can be of any help let me know, would be only to pleased, we had some friends over from New Zealand the other week they loved St Albans.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Link to Roll Call Data Base For 14 Day Southeast Asia Cruise Jan 2018
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Link to Roll Call Data Base for NCL Spirit 12 Night cruise March 2018
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Sailing Celebrity Millennium Jan 18 Vietnam, Asia.
Sailing NCL Spirit March 18 Canary Islands
Sailing Celebrity Eclipse Sept 18 Greek Islands
Sailed Celebrity Eclipse May 17 Norway Fjords
Sailed Celebrity Eclipse March 16 Caribbean
Sailed Celebrity Equinox Sept 15 Med
Sailed Celebrity Solstice Nov 14 New Zealand
Sailed Celebrity Eclipse June 14 Baltic
Sailed Celebrity Century June 13 Alaska
Roanoke VA
34 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by snowyboy
I think St Albans would fit your bill easy train ride from London 15 minutes walk from Station may be better to take bus bit uphill Abbey (Now Cathedral) is very interesting and old its in nice park you could walk down to the Lake and have lunch in the Oldest Pub in England. You could climb to the top of the Clock Tower maybe not your husband, nice street market Wednesday & Saturday nice web site http://www.enjoystalbans.com/things-...ns/index.html#
I live 20 minutes by car from St Albans if I can be of any help let me know, would be only to pleased, we had some friends over from New Zealand the other week they loved St Albans.
Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. It would be lovely. Unfortunately, we had to cancel our cruise and trip to England last week. My mother became very ill and had to be hospitalized and I lost my job. So we will not be visiting your lovely country.
We are so disappointed, but appreciate everyone's suggestions. Best of everything to you.