Disembarkation - "My Two Cents"

SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:03 PM.
Virgina
4,176 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I'm sorry this bothers you. I guess we all have little quirks. For me it is when I encounter the self centered mind sets - the rush to get on the ship, the cattle like push to disembark, failure to follow dress code because it is my vacation, I paid for it and I am gonna wear what I want...etc.

I will take a note from Princess any day over a rude passenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Royal Caribbean February 2000 (Eastern)
Carnival Valor March 2007 (Western)
Carnival Legend March 2008 (Western)
Carnival Fascination March 2009 (Key West/Nassau)
Carnival Glory August 2009 (Eastern)
Carnival Glory June 2010 (Canada)
Carnival Fascination December 2010 (Bahamas)
Carnival Legend March 2012 (Western)
Caribbean Princess March 2013 (Southern)
Carnival Victory January 2014 (Western)
Carnival Fantasy March 2014 (Eastern)
Grand Princess May 2014 (Alaska)
Carnival Sunshine February 2015 (Western)
Carnival Conquest December 2015 (Western)
Carnival Sunshine October 2016 (Canada)
Carnival Magic December 2016 (Eastern)
SAN RAMON, CALIFORNIA
1,615 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
I am a little surprised by the amount of approvals for the current system. Having disembarkation details booked ahead of time, would limit the amount of onboard paperwork and hassle. This could really just be an optional selection online, but like booking a flight time, you could at least get it done ahead of time. For those onboard that have not selected, then they get to fill out and submit the form onboard or for those that want to change it...change it!
SAN RAMON, CALIFORNIA
1,615 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by A&Jfamily
I'm sorry this bothers you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
My overly dramatic intro to this thread was only for fun, I could really care less what Princess does.

But in reality, everything else in life is online and paperless, why not this one? Just sayin!
Issaquah, WA
3,915 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
I didn't used to mind it, but it seems to be earlier and earlier lately. I think we got it on the 2nd day of the cruise on my most recent cruise. I sure don't want to think about getting OFF the ship when I only just got ON! If they are going to do it that early, they might as well do it online before the cruise, or as part of check-in at the port.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sherry

Carnival Spirit - Alaska - July 11, 2001
Star Princess - Alaska - July 26, 2009 - Honeymoon!!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 14, 2010 - 1st Anniversary!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 6, 2011 - With the family this time!
Golden Princess - Alaska - July 21, 2012 - 3rd Anniversary!
Star Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2013 - With Mom and Aunt!
Grand Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2014 - With 4 teens/young adults!
Crown Princess - Alaska - July 25, 2015 - Splurged on a balcony!
Westerdam - Alaska - July 23, 2016 - First time on Holland America!
Emerald Princess - Alaska - July 23, 2017 - Family cruise before sending my baby to college
Whidbey Island, WA
874 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Getting the notification on the 6th day of our 7 day Caribbean cruises didn't bother me. But when we took a 3-day California Coastal Getaway, waiting for us in the room the day we got aboard was the "When do you want to disembark form". Now THAT was kind of a downer... but only for a few minutes. ;-)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed!
USS Midway - '72-73 - Subic Bay Philippines (x9), Hong Kong, Singapore, Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
USS Ranger - '76 - Subic Bay Philippines (x3), Singapore, Perth Australia (Shellback)

USS Independence - '80 - South Atlantic, Cape of Good Hope, Mauritius, Indian Ocean, Gulf of Oman,(123 continuous sea days), Suez Canal, Mediterranean Sea, Straits of Gibraltar

USS Independence - '81 - Straits of Gibraltar - Mediterranean Sea, Naples Italy (x2), Straits of Gibraltar

Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean 3/25/12 - Silver Anniversary Cruise
Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean 2/3/13 - Gayle's Birthday Cruise
Norewgian Pearl - Alaska 6/16/13 - 4 Generation Family Cruise
Golden Princess - West Coast Getaway 9/30/13

UPCOMING:
Star Princess - Hawaii 9/23/17
12,920 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
I'd rather fill out as much stuff ahead of time online and be done with it than have to deal with it when I'm on vacation. My brain tends to go into relaxation mode once I'm on the ship and I'd much rather just veg.

It should be an easy thing to add to the Personalizer. Just make one more tab. If you don't fill it out, do so onboard. If you have a change, fill out a new form onboard. Simple. Then those of us that prefer online forms don't have to deal with it when we're more interested in thinking about cruising, not leaving.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite, RCI Diamond, Celebrity Elite, Cunard Platinum, Azamara Discoverer - 42 Completed Cruises so far
Upcoming Booked Cruises:
2018: Crown Princess, Emerald Princess & Azamara Quest

2019: Ruby Princess, Royal Princess & one other
And possibly another couple cruises in between those above!
California
5,324 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by DrivesLikeMario
I'd rather fill out as much stuff ahead of time online and be done with it than have to deal with it when I'm on vacation. My brain tends to go into relaxation mode once I'm on the ship and I'd much rather just veg.

It should be an easy thing to add to the Personalizer. Just make one more tab. If you don't fill it out, do so onboard. If you have a change, fill out a new form onboard. Simple. Then those of us that prefer online forms don't have to deal with it when we're more interested in thinking about cruising, not leaving.
Exactly.

I'm not sure why this is a one-or-the-other proposition.

Doesn't matter anyway. OP's idea is a good one, but it may as well be a fart in the wind as far as Princess is concerned. Their technological advances have more to do with tracking your every movement on the ship. No IT budget for website and customer-facing process improvements.
SAN RAMON, CALIFORNIA
1,615 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by DrivesLikeMario
Exactly!!
Las Vegas
11,153 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by MTJSR
I really dislike receiving that letter in my cabin that sounds like this; “Whilst we do not wish to focus on the end of your cruise, we do need you to select your disembarkation time”

I don't understand why Princess waits until we are all onboard and in full cruise relax mode to bring up this question. We are all required to enter our flight numbers and personal details in the Cruise Personalizer, why not indicate our preferred disembark time request as well?

That gives Princess plenty of time to organize and we do not have to think about the end of cruise, until the end of the cruise!
Has never bothered me. Seems as if you are over reacting to nothing.

DON
California
5,324 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by donaldsc

DON
The manual crank engine didn't bother anybody either, until a better way came along.

Why is it a problem for folks to discuss this? Is it really over-reacting? Or maybe just reacting and discussing?
SAN RAMON, CALIFORNIA
1,615 Posts
Joined Jan 2006

DON
Lol, thank you for stopping by!
2,963 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
If you look at most cruises a large percentage of cruisers are first timers, a lot of booked through TA's. For if you try and require that in advance you have to build in a fairly complex process, expecting it to be completed by a number of people that have never gone through a disembarkation process or need to funnel the info through their TA's.

With the current process you have a short communications loop (letter to passenger, document back, tags distributed), you have easy access to customer service to answer any questions, and you have a short time frame between information collection and departure leading to fewer changes.
San Jose, Calif
1,805 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by RDC1
If you look at most cruises a large percentage of cruisers are first timers, a lot of booked through TA's. For if you try and require that in advance you have to build in a fairly complex process, expecting it to be completed by a number of people that have never gone through a disembarkation process or need to funnel the info through their TA's.

With the current process you have a short communications loop (letter to passenger, document back, tags distributed), you have easy access to customer service to answer any questions, and you have a short time frame between information collection and departure leading to fewer changes.
And much less confusion and uncertainty! I have zero issues with the current process. It works. It isn't broken. It doesn't need to be replaced.
Chico, California
9,581 Posts
Joined Sep 2012

DON
Doesn't bother me a bit. My wife takes care of it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

19,163 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by MTJSR
I really dislike receiving that letter in my cabin that sounds like this; “Whilst we do not wish to focus on the end of your cruise, we do need you to select your disembarkation time”

I don't understand why Princess waits until we are all onboard and in full cruise relax mode to bring up this question. We are all required to enter our flight numbers and personal details in the Cruise Personalizer, why not indicate our preferred disembark time request as well?

That gives Princess plenty of time to organize and we do not have to think about the end of cruise, until the end of the cruise!
Totally agree, they usually do it on the 2nd day.
9,590 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by RDC1

I challenge your premise that it's necessary to have gone through a disembarkation process in order to complete disembarkation information online in advance. It would be no more complicated than the current method is -- you'd be answering the same questions/providing the same information on your post-cruise plans. Sure, there's a tiny percentage who are going to be too dumb to figure it out, but it's not like they'll get any smarter once they're onboard.
I come from a land down under
23,480 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by jollyjones
First world problems ... sigh ...

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Which applies to any topic on Cruse Critic.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wisconsin
92 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
I don't know. If it has to be done why not do it the first day so you can get back to vacation and forget about leaving faster?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sep 2015 Carnival Valor - Western Caribbean
Aug 2013 Star Princess - Alaska
Sep 2011 Norwegian Star - Pacific Coast
Nov 2009 Carnival Splendor - Mexico
Apr 2007 Carnival Liberty - Eastern Caribbean
Nov 2005 NCL Pride of Aloha - Hawaii