What to do in Matzatlan?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Mexican Riviera
Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:38 AM.
Hudson, OH
214 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Will be in Matzatlan for first time on November 1 (all Saints day) from 8am - 5pm - what is a good bet for a beach / resort day or day with some sights / historical value? Will be myself and wife, we are not Spanish speakers. Not overly concerned about cost, just looking for nice day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ruby Princess 10/17
Crown Princess 3/17
NCL Escape 10/16
NCL Getaway 5/16
Serenade OTS 3/16
NCL Breakaway 6/15
Summit 6/13
Carnival Dream 7/12
Golden Princess 5/09
Caribbean Princess 5/08
Caribbean Princess 5/06
Caribbean Princess 5/05
Explorer OTS 5/04
Grand Princess 5/02
Century 7/00
Sovereign OTS 6/96
Big Red Boat 4/90
Napa
24 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Kurtmo- I am glad you asked this question. I've been doing research and there are not a lot excursion choices. It seems to me that this port in recently being added back as stop. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I have been researching resorts that allow for day passes. I will be very interested in the responses to your inquiry. I'm going end of march so I may have spring breakers to contend with.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
33 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
We are going in October and have been trying to find a Pool/Beach Resort. I've posted on this board asking about Hotels with Day Passes and haven't got much feedback. At this point I think we will try the Riu Hotel. We will take a Pulmonia from the port to the Hotel and back, with stops along the way at the Cathedral and the Malecon.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The Lane Family - Feb 2012 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera - Sept 2012 Disney Wonder California Pixar Cruise - Oct 2013 Disney Wonder Halloween Bahamas Cruise - Feb 2015 Carnival Miracle Mexican Riviera - Oct 2015 Disney Wonder Cabo Cruise - Feb 2016 Carnival Inspiration

URL=http://www.cruisecritic.com][/url]
california
1,044 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
You might want to look at Stone island. An easy crossing from the cruise port. Not a hotel, but lots of beachfront restaurants and activities you pay for as you use them. Last time we rode horses. Think it is now Maria's as sadly Randi passed away. Also ate and drank at Victor's. Great Shrimp.
Newbury Park, CA
240 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Something completely different (seeing as you can do beaches and resorts in both Cabo and PV) - just follow the blue line to the Centro Histórico - visit the Teatro Ángela Peralta, the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, the Mercado Central, wander the streets of this delightful city, grab lunch at one of the many restaurants that line the Plaza Machado, indulge in a little retail therapy and stroll along the Paseo Claussen to watch the divers at El Clavadista before retracing your steps back to the ship...

Peralt
Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
22,833 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
There might be special things going on because of the holiday. We've seen parades etc in other Mexican cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Hudson, OH
214 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by BritinSoCal
Something completely different (seeing as you can do beaches and resorts in both Cabo and PV) - just follow the blue line to the Centro Histórico - visit the Teatro Ángela Peralta, the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, the Mercado Central, wander the streets of this delightful city, grab lunch at one of the many restaurants that line the Plaza Machado, indulge in a little retail therapy and stroll along the Paseo Claussen to watch the divers at El Clavadista before retracing your steps back to the ship...
BritinSoCal - Would you feel very comfortable doing this during daylight hours, it sounds interesting enough - as long as not through very "sketchy" areas on route and to/from ship. Does this route feel well-traveled with tourists? (Obviously you still have to be aware as always...)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ruby Princess 10/17
Crown Princess 3/17
NCL Escape 10/16
NCL Getaway 5/16
Serenade OTS 3/16
NCL Breakaway 6/15
Summit 6/13
Carnival Dream 7/12
Golden Princess 5/09
Caribbean Princess 5/08
Caribbean Princess 5/06
Caribbean Princess 5/05
Explorer OTS 5/04
Grand Princess 5/02
Century 7/00
Sovereign OTS 6/96
Big Red Boat 4/90
Hudson, OH
214 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by SadieN
There might be special things going on because of the holiday. We've seen parades etc in other Mexican cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
SadieN - yes, there is a parade, but it starts a few hours after we have to be back on the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ruby Princess 10/17
Crown Princess 3/17
NCL Escape 10/16
NCL Getaway 5/16
Serenade OTS 3/16
NCL Breakaway 6/15
Summit 6/13
Carnival Dream 7/12
Golden Princess 5/09
Caribbean Princess 5/08
Caribbean Princess 5/06
Caribbean Princess 5/05
Explorer OTS 5/04
Grand Princess 5/02
Century 7/00
Sovereign OTS 6/96
Big Red Boat 4/90
Ottawa, Canada
637 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Do you know if Rui offers a day pass?

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Currently working on our next 200 nights at sea!
Newbury Park, CA
240 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by KurtMo
BritinSoCal - Would you feel very comfortable doing this during daylight hours, it sounds interesting enough - as long as not through very "sketchy" areas on route and to/from ship. Does this route feel well-traveled with tourists? (Obviously you still have to be aware as always...)
The Centro Histórico is at the end of Mazatlan's famous blue line (literally a blue line in the middle of the street that runs from the cruise terminal and which you can also find plenty of Mazatlan volunteers - mostly US and Canadian snowbirds - who take US State Department advice with a hefty pinch of salt (and in all fairness I also ignore the FCO threat alerts regarding the US). We're talking the historic downtown centre of Mazatlan here, not some dodgy run down area of Cleveland

But yes, it's perfectly safe. The historic centre is incredibly popular with tourists and locals alike, and yes I've traced those steps on many an occasion... Just take the same kind of precautions you would in any city abroad... or at home.
San Diego
7,369 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Agree that the walk described above is perfectly safe.
We are seniors who have done it on our own several times and have also gotten a ride in a pulmonia(open air cab) from the central plaza when we were tired. This is a lovely city with lots of Americans and Canadians who make it their retirement home or winter vacation destination.
There is no need to be afraid of visiting.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UP next:
Splendor March 24,2018-annual Mexican "honeymoon"
Coral Princess Panama Canal December 7,2018

Hudson, OH
214 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Thanks for your comments,
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ruby Princess 10/17
Crown Princess 3/17
NCL Escape 10/16
NCL Getaway 5/16
Serenade OTS 3/16
NCL Breakaway 6/15
Summit 6/13
Carnival Dream 7/12
Golden Princess 5/09
Caribbean Princess 5/08
Caribbean Princess 5/06
Caribbean Princess 5/05
Explorer OTS 5/04
Grand Princess 5/02
Century 7/00
Sovereign OTS 6/96
Big Red Boat 4/90
Vancouver
509 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
Take the Carnival excursion that's all-inclusive to the El Cid resort. It's awesome on it's own but when you're there keep an eye out for private parasailing operators on the beach, they can give you a great experience for $40 which includes way more time in the air than official excursions.

Seriously, some of the most fun I've had in my life...

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
16 Past Sailings with Carnival
Check out the videos!

Upcoming Sailings
Carnival Inspiration December 4, 2017

Carnival Miracle June 17, 2018
SoCal Baby!
3,677 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
We've been to MZ many times.. If you like water sports and relaxing on the beach with some good eats, I'd suggest Stone Island. You can get there by water taxi for a couple of bucks. From there, you'll jump in a small truck and it'll take you straight to the beach! I suggest hanging out at Victors. They have great food and can hook you up with jet skis, parasailing, fishing, etc. One year, they just finished fishing and had this beautiful Mahi Mahi. We paid $40 and Victors' cooked it for us! It was the bomb! After Victors, you can check out Sr. Froggs, but if you're not partiers, you can do some shopping by the cruise terminal and call it a day......
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Tropicale 85 Mex Riv. First Cruise, got hooked!
Commadore Caribe 86 West Caribbean. 1st Cruise with my future wife! Had separate cabins, lol!
Carnival Jubilee (2) 90, 94 Mex Riv. Some of the funnest times!
Carnival Sensation 96 West Caribbean.
Explorer of the Seas 01 West Caribbean. First cruise for my boys (3 and 9 years old)!!
Princess Star 02 Mex Riv. Drama Cruise!
Carnival Spirit 04 Mex Riv. First 8 day!
Carnival Valor 05 West Caribbean. Crazy times, I'm on fire!!
Vision of the Seas 08 Mex Riv. Good Times w/friends and family!
Mariner of the Seas 09 Mex Riv. Favorite Ship!
Mariner of the Seas 10 Mex Riv. Favorite Ship!
Carnival Splendor 12 Mex Riv. Cruise with family and sons' future in-laws!
Allure of the Seas 14 East Caribbean. Missed the ship in Nassau!
Celebrity Equinox 5/17 Southern Caribbean. Anniversary Cruise! First 10 day, it was awesome! Met great people!
Ruby Princess Mex Riv. 10/17 Friends and Family cruise. Had a blast with 30 friends/family! Ship was boring though.
Norwegian Escape East Coast/Canada.10/18 Spend some time in NY before/after.
Royal Princess Pacific Coastal. 5/19
Royal/X/RCCL? Europe.10/19
and possibly a few others in between, can't remember!
10,809 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by klfhngr
We've been to MZ many times.. If you like water sports and relaxing on the beach with some good eats, I'd suggest Stone Island. You can get there by water taxi for a couple of bucks. From there, you'll jump in a small truck and it'll take you straight to the beach! I suggest hanging out at Victors. They have great food and can hook you up with jet skis, parasailing, fishing, etc. One year, they just finished fishing and had this beautiful Mahi Mahi. We paid $40 and Victors' cooked it for us! It was the bomb! After Victors, you can check out Sr. Froggs, but if you're not partiers, you can do some shopping by the cruise terminal and call it a day......
The last few times I visited Stone Island, Victor's has been closed.

I was told by one of the locals that his drinking was the problem.

I have found Lety's (next door) to be very good.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rich people stay rich by living like broke people
Broke people stay broke by living like rich people

I noticed the squirrels are starting to gather nuts --
Are you in a safe place ??
SoCal Baby!
3,677 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by swedish weave

Oh wow!! That's not good!! Thank you for the heads up! Friends of ours were there 2 or 3 years ago and he was still there.
Total bummer!

I heard good things about Lety;s, so we'll go there!

Thanks again!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Tropicale 85 Mex Riv. First Cruise, got hooked!
Commadore Caribe 86 West Caribbean. 1st Cruise with my future wife! Had separate cabins, lol!
Carnival Jubilee (2) 90, 94 Mex Riv. Some of the funnest times!
Carnival Sensation 96 West Caribbean.
Explorer of the Seas 01 West Caribbean. First cruise for my boys (3 and 9 years old)!!
Princess Star 02 Mex Riv. Drama Cruise!
Carnival Spirit 04 Mex Riv. First 8 day!
Carnival Valor 05 West Caribbean. Crazy times, I'm on fire!!
Vision of the Seas 08 Mex Riv. Good Times w/friends and family!
Mariner of the Seas 09 Mex Riv. Favorite Ship!
Mariner of the Seas 10 Mex Riv. Favorite Ship!
Carnival Splendor 12 Mex Riv. Cruise with family and sons' future in-laws!
Allure of the Seas 14 East Caribbean. Missed the ship in Nassau!
Celebrity Equinox 5/17 Southern Caribbean. Anniversary Cruise! First 10 day, it was awesome! Met great people!
Ruby Princess Mex Riv. 10/17 Friends and Family cruise. Had a blast with 30 friends/family! Ship was boring though.
Norwegian Escape East Coast/Canada.10/18 Spend some time in NY before/after.
Royal Princess Pacific Coastal. 5/19
Royal/X/RCCL? Europe.10/19
and possibly a few others in between, can't remember!
249 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by swedish weave

Victor's was open as recently as March of this year. It was my first time back in nearly ten years but it didn't look like much had changed. Great spot on the beach to spend an afternoon.
San Diego, CA
5,897 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Another vote for Stone Island, which we'll be visiting in about 2 weeks!

A good friend of ours who visits Mazatlan frequently also recommends Stone for a great, laid back beach day. His favorite hangout there - Molokay.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Otherwise known as 'Don Quique'..
The OC, CA
1,080 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Originally posted by KroozNut
Another vote for Stone Island, which we'll be visiting in about 2 weeks!

A good friend of ours who visits Mazatlan frequently also recommends Stone for a great, laid back beach day. His favorite hangout there - Molokay.
We were looking at stone island tours- seems $35 or so for a 1 hr catamaran around mazatlan, lunch, open bar on island, and 2 activities is a great deal. Anyone use either Johann & Sandra from Mazatlan tours or stoneisland tours? Both seem about the same.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2017- Ruby princess to mexico
2017- Celebrity Equinox to Caribbean
2016- Ncl Jade TA Barcelona to Tampa
2016- NCL Jewel to Mexican Riviera- Jan & May
2015- to 1978- 30 or so more to come !