Dinner in Southampton

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
British Isles/Western Europe
Amsterdam, Brugge, Dublin, Edinburgh, London (Dover, Harwich, Southampton)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:31 PM.
Redditch England
1,893 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by John Bull
Currently most taxis charge a fee (3 to 4%?) for credit card use.
JB
Charges for CC use are going to be banned; in April next year I believe. This may mean that more taxis will not want to accept them, especially for small amounts, or all fares will go up to compensate. We will have to see how it works out.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” ― Søren Kierkegaard
Romsey England
11,640 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Bob++
Charges for CC use are going to be banned; in April next year I believe. This may mean that more taxis will not want to accept them, especially for small amounts, or all fares will go up to compensate. We will have to see how it works out.
Hi Bob,

Yes, aware of the up-coming banning of cc charges.

In the early days of wireless POS terminals, mobile (cell) phone charges were high - but nowadays the charges are pretty inconsequential so taxi operators will be failing to gain rather than losing, if you catch my drift.

Can't imagine fewer taxis accepting cards, too many folk rely on plastic.
And the fares of hackney cabs (for non-Brits they're the ones you can hail in the street or pick up from a rank) are regulated.
Mebbe the private-hire cabs (the ones you have to phone for) will jack their prices up a tad, but it's a competitive business.

JB
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anyone who looks like their passport photo is too ill to travel (Will Kommen)
UK
134 Posts
Joined May 2014
Originally posted by brickgirl
......Can you tell me if all the restaurants you mention and the taxis take credit cards or the US dollar? Should I be getting some pounds before we come across the pond from the US? Thank you very much
Why would you think that US dollars might be acceptable in the United Kingdom?
Romsey England
11,640 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by sailing canary
Why would you think that US dollars might be acceptable in the United Kingdom?
Because, my feathered friend, they're accepted in a lot of places in the world such as everywhere in the Caribbean & many places in S E Asia
Same as the euro is accepted in a lot of places adjacent to euroland.
Both currencies can be good "reserve" currencies when travelling.

But no, not in Blighty.

JB
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anyone who looks like their passport photo is too ill to travel (Will Kommen)
1,295 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by John Bull
Yes, aware of the up-coming banning of cc charges.

In the early days of wireless POS terminals, mobile (cell) phone charges were high - but nowadays the charges are pretty inconsequential so taxi operators will be failing to gain rather than losing, if you catch my drift.

Can't imagine fewer taxis accepting cards, too many folk rely on plastic.
And the fares of hackney cabs (for non-Brits they're the ones you can hail in the street or pick up from a rank) are regulated.
Mebbe the private-hire cabs (the ones you have to phone for) will jack their prices up a tad, but it's a competitive business.
In London the regulator has had to force black cabs to take cards after years of reluctance to install them, and even then the machines were frequently 'broken'.

The excuse that was always given was it was the cost of processing credit cards that made them undesirable for taxi drivers, however you have to wonder if it was more significant that card payments leave a paper trail and cash doesn't.
Apopka, Florida
799 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Thank you John Bull. I appreciate all of your input !
I will second that. We just booked a cruise for next year and the information that JB (and others) have provided is greatly appreciated
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bill & Nancy- A bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work!

Upcoming cruises: 11-30-17 Brilliance of the Seas (IL Divo- Charter), 2-8-18 Brilliance of the Seas

2017: Jan- Brilliance of the Seas, Feb- Harmony of the Seas, March- Carnival Vista, Sept- Majesty of the Seas, Oct- Oasis of the Seas, Nov- Freedom of the Seas
2016: Nov- Carnival Valor, Sept- Majesty of the Seas, May- Enchantment of the Seas, April- Majesty of the Seas, Feb- Oasis of the Seas, Jan- Nieuw Amsterdam
2015: Nov- NCL Sky, Oct- Adventure of the Seas, Sep- Grand Celebration, May- Carnival Sensation, March- NCL Epic, Feb- Enchantment of the Seas
2014: May- Enchantment of the Seas, March- Eurodam
2009: May- Carnival Sensation
2007: May- Carnival Imagination
2005: March- Enchantment of the Seas
2004: March- Carnival Paradise, Feb- Grand Princess
2003: Oct- Disney Wonder, May- Sovereign of the Seas, March- Carnival Triumph
2002: July- Carnival Sensation
2001: May- Carnival Paradise, Feb- Carnival Fantasy

Los Angeles
764 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Is Uber available in Southampton? Or are taxis our only option to go from the Central Railway Station to a Southampton hotel? We will be staying at the Pig in the Wall, which is a little further than we want to walk with suitcases, even if they are rolling.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Betty
40 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Uber is available but with the distance you are travelling, price wise there won't be much in it, journey time will be 3 /5 minutes but agree no point in walking with luggage if a taxi is that quick convenient and cheap
Toronto On. Canada
6,031 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
John Bull, you are so full of knowledge! I appreciate your responses also. Can you tell me if all the restaurants you mention and the taxis take credit cards or the US dollar? Should I be getting some pounds before we come across the pond from the US? Thank you very much
I was on a Princess tour with purchase your own lunch. One couple did not bring any £, he thought every place would take a credit card or US$. He eat at a place that took either. He had to go to the Post Office (where you can get money) to exchange US$ to £ and return to the restaurant to pay his bill. Everyone told him, do you expect in the States stores/restaurants to take £.
Redditch England
1,893 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Nearly all places that you might stop for lunch will take credit cards. They may not take them all (Visa and MasterCard are universal - American Express and Diners Club not so much) but there is often a minimum spend. A place where I often go has a minimum of £10.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” ― Søren Kierkegaard