re meat pies

I reckon I could murder whoever said, "as easy as pie."

DW & I both bake competitively. DW took out the Blue Ribbon for lamingtons at the Sydney Royal Easter Show this year and I believe that I am one of only two MEN in New South Wales who are qualified CWA Cookery Judges.

I'm wanting to take out the most successful exhibitor award at a small show coming up soon. There's an old dear who has won it every year since the day dot and I consider her one a worth adversary. It's all very friendly, mind.

Anyway one of the items in the schedule is an Apple Pie. So I thought I'd better get some practice in and my first ever apple pie is in the oven. I don't think it would win any prizes but we all have to start somewhere.

I still reckon I could murder whoever said, "as easy as pie."

I reckon I could murder whoever said, "as easy as pie."

DW & I both bake competitively. DW took out the Blue Ribbon for lamingtons at the Sydney Royal Easter Show this year and I believe that I am one of only two MEN in New South Wales who are qualified CWA Cookery Judges.

I'm wanting to take out the most successful exhibitor award at a small show coming up soon. There's an old dear who has won it every year since the day dot and I consider her one a worth adversary. It's all very friendly, mind.

Anyway one of the items in the schedule is an Apple Pie. So I thought I'd better get some practice in and my first ever apple pie is in the oven. I don't think it would win any prizes but we all have to start somewhere.

I still reckon I could murder whoever said, "as easy as pie."

Wow, an expert pie maker with us. Great stuff. :p My late Mum used to put cloves in with the pie apple, do you do something like that? Apple and cloves go well together.:rolleyes:

Wow, an expert pie maker with us. Great stuff. :p My late Mum used to put cloves in with the pie apple, do you do something like that? Apple and cloves go well together.:rolleyes:

Definitely not an expert pie maker! Cakes and biscuits, yes but I struggle with pastry. Last night's apple pie was the least one I've ever made because it's the only one I've ever made! I need to keep practicing. If anyone is passing through Cowra, NSW, you're welcome to call in and pick up any of my attempts. Goodness knows we don't need to eat the all!

Cloves are a traditional flavour accompaniment for apples and I believe that generations ago the lattice top of an apple pie was studded with cloves. Apparently our English word "clove" comes from the Latin "clavis" meaning "nail" and when you think about it they do look like tacks.

Definitely not an expert pie maker! Cakes and biscuits, yes but I struggle with pastry. Last night's apple pie was the least one I've ever made because it's the only one I've ever made! I need to keep practicing. If anyone is passing through Cowra, NSW, you're welcome to call in and pick up any of my attempts. Goodness knows we don't need to eat the all!

Cloves are a traditional flavour accompaniment for apples and I believe that generations ago the lattice top of an apple pie was studded with cloves. Apparently our English word "clove" comes from the Latin "clavis" meaning "nail" and when you think about it they do look like tacks.

Good post. Any good receipe for gluten free pastry for coeliacs like me. Many GF pastry products 'deconstructs.' When I was in Emerald, NQ, a few weeks ago, went to a bakery got a GF meat pie, they put it in the microwave to re heat and it deconstructed big time, looked liked a train smash, plastic knife and fork job with a plastic spoon for the gravy, but still edible.:halo:

BTW Been to Cowra a couple of times, nice town. Couple of my neighbours - Tracy and Kel moved here from there.

Good post. Any good receipe for gluten free pastry for coeliacs like me. Many GF pastry products 'deconstructs.' When I was in Emerald, NQ, a few weeks ago, went to a bakery got a GF meat pie, they put it in the microwave to re heat and it deconstructed big time, looked liked a train smash, plastic knife and fork job with a plastic spoon for the gravy, but still edible.:halo:

BTW Been to Cowra a couple of times, nice town. Couple of my neighbours - Tracy and Kel moved here from there.

Fortunately I'm DW and I aren't coeliac and therefore we haven't had to become GF experts. A number of years ago I made 27 dozen cupcakes and it was more bother to make the one dozen that were gluten-free, dairy-free (taste-free :rolleyes::')) than the other 26 combined! Having said that GF flours have come a long way since then and these days you usually don't have to resort to the old trick of adding an extra egg.

Having said all of that, pastry is a whole other kettle of fish. I'm outside my area of expertise here but I understand that in pastry making you don't want to develop gluten strands that are too long by over kneading BUT you do want a certain amount of gluten (or gluten-like) structure in between the pockets of butter (or other fat). This being the case, gluten-free pastry gets a little tricky. I'm guessing that the commercial pie makers resort to fancy chemicals (such as xanthan gum) to make GF pastry.

Fortunately I'm DW and I aren't coeliac and therefore we haven't had to become GF experts. A number of years ago I made 27 dozen cupcakes and it was more bother to make the one dozen that were gluten-free, dairy-free (taste-free :rolleyes::')) than the other 26 combined! Having said that GF flours have come a long way since then and these days you usually don't have to resort to the old trick of adding an extra egg.

Having said all of that, pastry is a whole other kettle of fish. I'm outside my area of expertise here but I understand that in pastry making you don't want to develop gluten strands that are too long by over kneading BUT you do want a certain amount of gluten (or gluten-like) structure in between the pockets of butter (or other fat). This being the case, gluten-free pastry gets a little tricky. I'm guessing that the commercial pie makers resort to fancy chemicals (such as xanthan gum) to make GF pastry.

Thanks for advice, we don't do much baking of cakes, pies, but if we do, we use Rice Flour. But it is the gluten in the wheat flour that provides the flexibility in the dough, if you know what I mean, 'elastic' is probably a better word. Yes, good commercial GF pastry is almost impossible to find and probably even harder to make.:(

Well looks like I'm off to wauchope next week, I'd rather not be, but I do have to work, and not just because of money.

So I must try a Timbertown Pie this trip.

We would like a briefing on your return, please Mr Gut. Not on the court work but on the Timber Town Pie Shop quality.:p

Wish I was in Cowra.

And good luck on the show.

Maybe Sparky can post the apple pies out,

Please just send a self addressed Post Pack (get a box that fits inside the post bag) with postage included to Sparky and they can send them back to us before it gets too hot.

Note to Sparky, we will add the Cream when they arrive. :p

Maybe Sparky can post the apple pies out,

Please just send a self addressed Post Pack (get a box that fits inside the post bag) with postage included to Sparky and they can send them back to us before it gets too hot.

Note to Sparky, we will add the Cream when they arrive. :p

How do we get the Clotted Cream from Devon??

Apple pies are okay but I prefer apple turnovers with cream of course.
Hi,in the UK most bakers and all the supermarkets do apple turnovers with fresh cream in them.Is that what you were talking about if so they are one of my favourites,cheers,Brian.

Actually, I have been known to make clotted cream, too. But that was years ago, after discovering it on my first trip to the UK. I must do it again sometime but DW and I are trying to loose weight at the moment.

I will bring some back for you next year.:p

Surely 'clotted cream' (aka Devonshire Cream or Cornish Cream) is available in Straya? I will check with Aldi this arvo when I go to Aldi to stock up on my Oktoberfest produce. You know, the bockwurst, liverwurst, cabbage rolls, sauerkraut and all that great stuff.

I reckon Woolworths or Coles might stock ye olde clotted cream. Just take an extra simvastatin.

Edited by NSWP

I will bring some back for you next year.:p

Surely 'clotted cream' (aka Devonshire Cream or Cornish Cream) is available in Straya? I will check with Aldi this arvo when I go to Aldi to stock up on my Oktoberfest produce. You know, the bockwurst, liverwurst, cabbage rolls, sauerkraut and all that great stuff.

I reckon Woolworths or Coles might stock ye olde clotted cream. Just take an extra simvastatin.

I haven't seen clotted cream in the supermarkets here; admittedly I haven't been looking for it though. I kinda hope it's not available as it could really be detrimental to my weight loss. I stood on the scales this morning and worked out that I need to loose another 10kg to be overweight (as opposed to being obese). :eek:

Actually, I have been known to make clotted cream, too. But that was years ago, after discovering it on my first trip to the UK. I must do it again sometime but DW and I are trying to loose weight at the moment.
Hi,sounds like you're in the wrong game.Try broccoli growing compos instead,lol.Only joking,cheers,Brian.

I haven't seen clotted cream in the supermarkets here; admittedly I haven't been looking for it though. I kinda hope it's not available as it could really be detrimental to my weight loss. I stood on the scales this morning and worked out that I need to loose another 10kg to be overweight (as opposed to being obese). :eek:

I know a Tasmanian company make it and Harris Farm Markets certainly stock one brand, not sure about coles or woolies.