Hotels in Anchorage?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:03 AM.
Pacific North West
4,341 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by RBAlbany
What are pros and cons of Captain Cook? Princess booked us there. I added two more as we are arriving early to spend time with a friend. I don't think it would be worth switching, but I am flexable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app
I was in Anchorage 2 weeks ago and spent my teens years there. Visited my parents who still live there. The Captain Cook is right downtown walking distance to great restaurants, has lovely views of the inlet, city and mountains. Do remember if you have an Inlet view the Sun will blast your hotel windows most of the day. My advice ask for a city/mountain view and have a cooler room and a wonderful view.
Desert & cocktails in the Crows Nest at the top of the Capt Cook are a treat (dinners are wonderful but will cost a mtg pmt). If you have dinner up there get reservations ahead of time, in fact dinner reservations anywhere downtown are recommended.

I don't think there is a down side to a tourist visiting Anchorage, the Capt Cook is in a great location. Best breakfast in the city is accross the street at the Snow City Cafe. Get there early as the lines can get long
Tennessee
585 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Originally posted by Coral
I can't think of a con. It is a hotel with great service. It has a dark wood, nautical theme in the lobby so I guess if there is a con, some may say the lobby can be dark.

I found the room wonderful, the view amazing, service was top notch, location great. I liked the theme in the lobby. There are a lot of restaurants close by.
So glad to hear that. We are also coming in early and booked an extra night.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
09-06-2014 Golden Princess - Happy 9th Anniversary to us!
03-22-2015 Emerald Princess - Kids first cruise!
01-30-2016 Coral Princess-Just out of DRY DOCK DEBACLE
09-11-2017 Star Princess- BACK to Alaska! Land and sea !!!

11-11-2018 Regal Princess - Eastern Caribbean
25,051 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by Mrs.Gosse
So glad to hear that. We are also coming in early and booked an extra night.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app
I don't think you will be disappointed. Hotels in Anchorage don't match up with hotels in let's say NYC but for Anchorage, it was a wonderful hotel. It is not a luxury hotel but I really liked it. I love nautical items so I loved the theme.

I was taking a cruise out of Seward but booked the hotel and RR by myself. The hotel staff told me if I put the cruise line luggage tags on my luggage, they would include it with those who booked with the cruise line. I dropped off my luggage in the morning with them and it was in my room on the ship next time I saw it. They didn't have to do that but they went the extra mile. Really nice people.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me
Pacific North West
4,341 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Ha I remember the Captain Cook Hotel being built. At the time the tallest and fanciest thing in Downtown Anchorage. I remember seeing the cranes lifting the pieces of the hotel together. The Original tower was modular and all the city came out to see the puzzle pieces being lifted into place. This would have been about 1970-71 I think. Boy we sure thought it was super fancy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
231 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
We stayed at Millinneum Alaska Hotel (used to be called Lakefront)on Spenard Road last year & it was very nice. Good restaurants & airport shuttle plus air conditioner in the room. It was hot so AC was great.
Pacific North West
4,341 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by biojeep
We stayed at Millinneum Alaska Hotel (used to be called Lakefront)on Spenard Road last year & it was very nice. Good restaurants & airport shuttle plus air conditioner in the room. It was hot so AC was great.
The trouble with this location is that it takes a taxi to get to downtown. Can't walk anywhere from this location. Crappy part of town too. Watching the float planes taking off and landing is the only plus I can think of.
Sacramento, California
949 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
I've stayed at the Hilton. It's nice (pretty standard Hilton) and it's close to the train station and to the museum. For August, we have reservations at the Voyager Inn. It's a block from the Captain Cook. Hertz has a location there where we will pick up our rental.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app
Albany, NY
301 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
I worked at the Quik Print print shop on 4th. The corner next to us was a strip club I think called the Wild Cherry. Diagonally was a pawn shop. I am looking forward to my return in 26 days.

Pacific North West
4,341 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
I worked at the Quik Print print shop on 4th. The corner next to us was a strip club I think called the Wild Cherry. Diagonally was a pawn shop. I am looking forward to my return in 26 days.

My parents Owned a Hallmark store/Gift shop on the corner of 4th & C Street. Worked there as a teenager, it was called Bering Sea Originals.

Pacific North West
4,341 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
I don't remember the cross street. We also had a shop on Northern Lights Blvd. A less exciting area!

No that's where the only Mall Anchorage had when I was a teen, the Sears Mall!!!! Northern Lights Blvd is one of the main cross streets 40-50 yrs ago (in my day) 😳
Minnesota
1,114 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by 1964IceCreamLady
We haven't been there yet, but the Lakefront LOOKS amazing. VERY close to airport. We are staying there next month.
How was your stay at Lakefront?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
June 15, 2018 - RCI Radiance of the Seas - Alaska
Feb 18, 2017 - RCI Harmony of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean, Feb 13, 2016 - RCI Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean, Oct 18, 2015 - RCI Independence of the Seas - Western Caribbean, April 6, 2014 - RCI Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean, 2013 - NCL Norwegian Dawn - Western Caribbean, 2008 - RCI Brilliance of the Seas - Mediterranean, 2004 - NCL Norwegian Dream - Western Caribbean, 2001 - RCI Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas, June 21, 1998 - Carnival Inspiration - Southern Caribbean
Minnesota
1,114 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
I think I have a better grasp on our itinerary now... We likely won't get to the hotel until 6pm, and then our flight leaves the next day at 6am. I think we would prefer a clean place to stay, with a free 24 hour shuttle to the airport, and close to AWESOME food, and maybe a nice bar. We are getting to the hotel via a tour, so we would have had an Anchorage tour prior to arriving at the hotel. Any further recommendations?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
June 15, 2018 - RCI Radiance of the Seas - Alaska
Feb 18, 2017 - RCI Harmony of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean, Feb 13, 2016 - RCI Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean, Oct 18, 2015 - RCI Independence of the Seas - Western Caribbean, April 6, 2014 - RCI Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean, 2013 - NCL Norwegian Dawn - Western Caribbean, 2008 - RCI Brilliance of the Seas - Mediterranean, 2004 - NCL Norwegian Dream - Western Caribbean, 2001 - RCI Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas, June 21, 1998 - Carnival Inspiration - Southern Caribbean
Pacific North West
4,341 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Lakefront is close to the airport. They have food with a view of the Seaplanes taking off and landing. The bar is right there also.

Anchorage, Alaska
1,175 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
We live in Midtown Anchorage. Have been in the same home for 52 years. I'm amazed how Anchorage has grown during that stretch. I spend most of my summers in mountains of the interior, about 300 miles directly east of Anchorage.

When I get back home in the Fall I am always surprised at the amount of hotel construction that has taken place close to us. For instance, we are one block west of C Street on Arctic Blvd. That general area has began to be called "Hotel Row". Right now we have 10 or more relatively new hotels within not much more than a stones throw of our house. All within 10 minutes of the big airport as well, with shuttle service. A cab from our house to the airport costs $10.00 to $11.00. They include the Hyatt House, Crowne Plaza, Fairfield inn and Suites, Motel 6, Home @ Suites by Hilton, Homewood Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, Aspen Suites, Hampton Inn, Spring Hill Suites and other less known ones. Many name chain eateries separate these establishments.

https://www.adn.com/business/article/why-anchorages-c-street-hotel-cluster-exists/2015/11/15/
Boston, MA
172 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
We just stayed at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek in August. It was close the train station, but also had an airport shuttle. It was just outside of downtown but it was an easy 10 minute walk, although a bit uphill. It was clean and the room was huge. No frills, but the price was good and we barely spent any time in the room!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous Trips
NCL Sun - August 2017 Alaska Southbound Trip Report
NCL Pearl - February 2016 Gronk's Party Ship
NCL Dawn - May 2015 Boston to Bermuda
Anchorage, Alaska
3,217 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
La Quinta just opened this year in Anchorage. Not the best location but the hotel is new. They gutted an old property and everything is brand new. Rates were $85-$150 this summer. They offer shuttle service to/from the airport as well as the train depot.
406 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by Glaciers
La Quinta just opened this year in Anchorage. Not the best location but the hotel is new. They gutted an old property and everything is brand new. Rates were $85-$150 this summer. They offer shuttle service to/from the airport as well as the train depot.
Those must have been opening specials. i just checked for June 2018, and it came up as $307/night!