Rhine water levels 2017 and similar topics

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:17 PM.
Rhine, Germany
2,164 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
That's bad to say the least. When I say storms I actually mean a very light breeze compared to what is happening in the Carribean, if one may dare compare. Safe journey.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Transocean Belvedere Danube April 2013
English Channel Crossings 1984 to present:
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Dutch island hopping 1980's
Many Rhine river short trips
Rhine, Germany
2,164 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
A storm of the stronger autumn type hit the Rhineland during the night, it woke me up but all the roof tiles seem to be still there and all trees are standing around my part of the town. We do not really have hurricanes... The warning category 3 (it can get up to 4) is in place for the hills Northeast of Basel, Eastnortheast of Strasbourg (over the Rhine in the Black Forest that is), Heidelberg and the whole North of Germany along the coast including Hamburg.

Looking out of the window one would not think so... it is sunny but the unsettled weather feeling is there, one knows the next gust of wind is lurking round the corner.

Hope all is well - or if not, getting better and that help is on its way - over the big pond.

To ease the tension about weather here is a story of perseverance, endurance, unhurriedness - or laziness, or just plain loss of interest . How to take your time when building large structures: http://www.dw.com/en/5-buildings-you...ild/a-19402414

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
601 Posts
Joined May 2005
Notamermaid... our place in Fl. Is ok unfortunately many places are devastated..no power for a few weeks but we will deal with it when we return from our river cruise. Monitoring alerts about rain and wind on the Rhine... I keep throwing warmer clothes in suitcase... Don't mind a shower but not torrential rain.. Do you see any improvement on the horizon? We leave Friday...for Amsterdam...😬
Rhine, Germany
2,164 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
I am afraid the weather forecast for the next four days shows unsettled weather conditions with rain on and off, showers with occasional thunderstorms and cool temperatures. It looks as if these conditions will stay with us into next week. The upper Rhine valley will get more rain (in total amount) than the middle or lower Rhine valley over the next four days. I found the wind quite cool this morning.

Water levels are fine. I hope the upper Rhine valley can cope with the amount of rain. If there is wideswept rain in the lower Alps, the Black Forest and the Vosges mountains at the same time it might be too much and the Rhine rises quickly. But as I said all is fine right now, levels are staying put or only rising very slightly. To give you an idea of what I mean: Maxau near Karlsruhe is at 486cm right now. The level nearly scraped the flooding mark I of 620cm (meaning slowed down, but not halted traffic) on 3 September after torrential rain. It has been falling in a sort of steadily fashion since then, till it started rising again at midnight and with all the rain coming down I expect the rise will continue. I will have a look tomorrow what the experts say on the official "info for citizens" website.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,164 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Beyond the standard ports... part 8

Next up in my series downstream from Engers would be Neuwied. The town is in the process of improving and restructuring its embankment creating a modern docking place. Due to some problems with the building contractor work was slowed down so they are behind schedule... and will have to wait till I revisit the situation at a later date.

So next is: Andernach

The small-ish town on the left bank of the Rhine is a Roman settlement with Celtic origins and has retained its medieval character with town wall remains and a nice market square. Some impressive finds have been unearthed in recent years that show the importance of the town in Roman times. Here is some info on the town: http://www.andernach.de/en/tourismus/tourismus.html Outside of town on a small island is the world's highest cold water geyser: https://www.geysir-andernach.de/?L=1

As regards location: Koblenz is at Rhine kilometre 591 and Andernach at 613.

Who stops there? Several German river cruise companies including Phoenix Reisen, Dutch companies and CroisiEurope on a few tours. Andernach is a stop for several ships chartered by UK tour operators and one company using the "Olympia" even has an itinerary starting in Andernach. Of non-European companies APT River Cruises (using the AmaWaterways fleet) stops there on its long itinerary crossing Europe, for the exclusive evening excursion at Namedy castle, which is nearby.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,164 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
The "Hochwasserportal" for Germany, with excellent regional information on water levels shows for Maxau 502cm right now. The prediction is for slightly rising, falling and then rising water levels again. No significant level for flooding is predicted for the next 7 days.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,164 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
The Rhine water levels show a significant drop compared to four days ago. Prediction is for stagnating or slightly falling levels. Depending on rainfall a slight rise inbetween is possible as well. Very good for sailing right now as it is neither low nor high anywhere. It is raining on and off and chilly, especially in the mornings. Autumn is here and the first leaves are turning red and yellow.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,164 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
We have a nice warm spell with sunshine during the day when the morning mists over the water have cleared. The river level has fallen a bit (not to worry) and it looks as if it is going to be a nice afternoon, temperatures in the Upper Rhine valley could reach 20 degrees today. Slightly lower temperatures are forecast for the next three days.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Huntley, Illinois
7 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Thank you, Notamermaid. I have been reading your very helpful information for the last several weeks. We will be sailing from Amsterdam on Sunday, 8 October and conclude our Rhine cruise in Basel on 15 October. BBC weather seems to indicate cool temperatures with spotty showers throughout the week. Does this agree with your own observations of weather conditions? Also, do you think the water levels will remain favorable? Thank you again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

*Celebrity Reflection ~Eastern Caribbean~ 11/15, *Celebrity Reflection ~Mediterrean~ 9/5/14, *Celebrity Silhouette ~Caribbean~ 3/30/14, *Celebrity Constellation ~Western Caribbean~ 2/18/13, *Pride of America ~Hawaii~ 7/12, *Maasdam ~New England~ 9/10, *Carnival Legend ~Western Caribbean~ 10/09, *NCL Sky ~Bahamas~ 8/08, *Sun Princess ~Alaska~ 6/06, *Rhapsody of the Seas ~Western Caribbean~ 6/04, *Majesty of the Seas ~Western Caribbean~ 6/95, *Star Princess ~Southern Caribbean~ 3/93
Rhine, Germany
2,164 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Hello memadiane,

my pleasure. I have actually not reported back since the 24th as the week has been uneventful. And it looks as if it will in the next 10 days as well. The water level is at 143cm in Kaub and at 135cm in Koblenz. The trend is for falling levels but the rain that is forecast will halt the trend probably. Showers it is indeed according to the forecast, temperatures in the double digits during the day but cool. Usually cloudy with the most sunshine to be expected in the Upper Rhine valley rather than middle or lower valleys.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,164 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Port expansion at Basel

https://www.thelocal.ch/20170928/switzerlands-main-river-port-in-basel-to-be-expanded
If you are interested further in the port at Basel have a look at its website: http://www.portofbasel.ch/en/index.phpIt also gives the water level and you can look up the docking of river ships in the pier assignment schedule.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Texas
159 Posts
Joined May 2016
Thank you notamermaid for the Basel pier assignment schedule (two weeks). This along with a previously posted link for Amsterdam (as much as a month) should put to rest the 'first come first serve' myth for docking assignments, at least for major river ports. (It's probably true for rafting positions.) Watching vesselfinder it is clear that some companies consistently have the same docks in some cities (Regensburg and Budapest for example).

The cruise companies know in advance where they will be docking and bear responsibility for service there - barring some unforeseen disaster. Skipping a port because "there are too many ships there" as did Vantage recently is not an acceptable excuse.
Rhine, Germany
2,164 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Sorry. It happened because I did not leave a space between the link and my following word. Tried to resolve that earlier. Here it is: https://www.thelocal.ch/20170928/swi...to-be-expanded

notamermaid

Alternatively try: https://www.thelocal.ch/search/?q=port+Basel
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,164 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Basel port again: http://www.portof.ch/de/index.php

The level has risen due to the recent rain and makes for comfortable sailing throughout according to the official figures. It has been a very windy day.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,164 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
We had a violent storm in Germany, I mentioned the wind in post #256. I live further South than the storm area so fortunately only experienced a little of it. People in the North of Germany where not so lucky and tragically, seven lives were lost. The storm reached hurrican force level in parts: https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...avier/70002916

Hurricane force winds happen in autumn but the severity and frequency varies from year to year. They rarely reach anything near what the US experiences. Yet the airbus trying to land in a storm at a German airport - as shown on television - was scary enough.

A friend of mine sent a message that he was stranded around 200km North of home and could not make it back that day as there was no train running, much of the Northern network was halted because of fallen trees and damaged power lines.

For the time being this is behind us in the valley and things are running smoothly.

So here is a curiousity thing...

Love the Rhine, love ships, have money to spare? - Get your own ship

Have you ever dreamed of sailing on your own boat on the Rhine and taking friends along or even being captain on the Rhine? You can buy the excursion boat MS Düsselschlösschen on a well-known online auction platform in Germany. With some serious money-spending you will be the owner of a nice and neat - not so new - boat. Look for: Fahrgastschiff in Düsseldorf Personenschiff Fähre. Only problem: it is 55m long and you need to pick it up yourself as sending it is tricky. And hurry as the auction runs out on Tuesday...

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,164 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Beyond the standard ports... part 9

On a recent thread the small town of St. Goar (read Sankt Goar in German) was mentioned so I am heading back upstream in my series, into the Rhine gorge. This small town has long been popular with day trippers and lies opposite the town St. Goarshausen. It was a place of pilgrimage to the shrine of Saint Goar in the Middle Ages. Here is some info: http://www.welterbe-atlas.de/rheinorte/stgoar/?L=2 Towering over the village is the Rheinfels castle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinfels_Castle From St. Goar it is only a ferry trip and a short drive to the Loreley rock. If you want to see it well you need to stay on the side of St. Goar of course.

As you can imagine it is quite touristy and also popular with day cruisers, at least two lines (companies) stop there regularly with excursion boats. The Goethe paddlewheeler is of course the most impressive boat. Yet, I find it not as overrun as Rüdesheim for example.

Who stops there on river cruises? Ther German lines Arosa, DCS Touristik and Phoenix Reisen offer a few cruises each with a stop in St. Goar. Of international European ones I could only find CroisiEurope on its New Year's cruise. Viking has chosen St. Goar as a stop on its fairly new itinerary Paris to the Swiss Alps. It is a convenient vantage point for the offered excursion up to the Loreley rock. Which would mean a ferry ride across or the ship letting passengers get off the ship at a short stop at St. Goarshausen.

If you have been on this itinerary or with another company to St. Goar not mentioned here it would be great to hear about your experiences.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Nashville, Tennessee USA
1,016 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
St. Goar

I really like the idea of St. Goar as a stop on the Rhine. In researching trips I've looked at and even looked into staying at the castle hotel. I think that more and more people are being turned off by the crowds in Rudeshiem so St. Goar is a nice alternative. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
FuelScience

2018: The Douro: Portugal's River of Gold & Spain w/Madeira extension, Vantage Douro Serenity (April)
2017: Burgundy & Provence, Avalon Poetry II
2016: Canals, Vineyards, and Paris, Avalon Affinity II
2015: Switzerland & the Heart of the Rhine & Moselle, Vantage River Navigator
2014: Tulips & Windmills, Viking Atla
2013: Romantic Danube, Viking MS Vienna (leased)
2012: Cities of Light, Viking Sky