Marseilles Hotels

JUSRN

Please help!

I am totally overwhelmed by all the hotel options in Marseilles for 4 nights pre-cruise next month.

I'm looking for nice hotel in safe location within walking distance of restaurants, cafes, shops, transportation, activities and nice views. Will be using points on credit card so might be able to splurge a little.

We will be doing day trips to Nice and Monaco too.

A few possibilities are InterContinental and Sofitel.

Does anyone have any input?

Please help!

I am totally overwhelmed by all the hotel options in Marseilles for 4 nights pre-cruise next month.

I'm looking for nice hotel in safe location within walking distance of restaurants, cafes, shops, transportation, activities and nice views. Will be using points on credit card so might be able to splurge a little.

We will be doing day trips to Nice and Monaco too.

A few possibilities are InterContinental and Sofitel.

Does anyone have any input?

I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly...are you doing a day trip to Nice and Monaco from Marseilles? That's along way...probably a bit over 2 hours by car on a boring road, each way just to Nice. And, over 2 1/2 by train to Nice.

I guess being a contrarian is in my blood. but if cruising out of Marseille there is no way we would spend more then a single night in Marseille....and would most likely spend no nights. We have traveled extensively in France, and Marseille is one of our least favorite cities.....and also a city with one of the worst crime rates in Europe. But the main reason we would not stay in Marseille is because there are just too many other more desirable locations within a short distance from Marseille. Our own preference would be to probably stay in Avignon (we have rented apartments in that city) or perhaps St Remy (if one wants a smaller town). But a more convenient location would be nearby Aix en Provence. All of these locations provide a must better jumping off point for exploring Provence.

We do understand that there are some folks who would prefer Marseille, but I must admit that in over thirty years of traveling throughout France...we have never met one. Yes, Marseille has some charm....but it pales by comparison to the other places I mentioned..and we have only scratched the surface of fabulous places to stay within Provence...that will still allow easy access to Marseille for embarking on a cruise.

Hank