Whale Watching

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Mexican Riviera
Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:46 AM.
UK
1,913 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
I asked this question in another thread but it got 'lost' among the fantastic photos of whales so I am posting it again as a separate thread.

A read of a thread about whale watching in Cabo would suggest that someone with back problems may be better off on a 'bigger' boat rather than a zodiac? Did I read that correctly? I've just been diagnosed with neck and back problems and the last thing I want to do is to 'set off' the pains that I occasionally suffer from. Have seen a surgeon who has ruled out surgery at the moment, but....

Perhaps then I would be better off paying the premium of booking a ship excursion.

Your thoughts please.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
2017Eastbound T/A - Cunard. 2016 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Bahamas & Florida - NCL: 2015 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2014 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Norway/Iceland - P&O: 2013 Canary Islands - NCL: 2011 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2011 Southern T/A - Celebrity: 2011 Australasia - Princess: 2009 Australia/New Zealand - Royal Caribbean: 2005 Norway - Louis Line: 2004 Alaska - Celebrity: 2000 Eastern Caribbean - Royal Caribbean
10,755 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by babs135
I asked this question in another thread but it got 'lost' among the fantastic photos of whales so I am posting it again as a separate thread.

A read of a thread about whale watching in Cabo would suggest that someone with back problems may be better off on a 'bigger' boat rather than a zodiac? Did I read that correctly? I've just been diagnosed with neck and back problems and the last thing I want to do is to 'set off' the pains that I occasionally suffer from. Have seen a surgeon who has ruled out surgery at the moment, but....

Perhaps then I would be better off paying the premium of booking a ship excursion.

Your thoughts please.
I think the sea conditions will be the big factor for you. If the sea is calm, the small boats will give you a smooth ride.

I suggest waiting until you get to Cabo to decide. There are always people near the dock who book tours.
If whales are close, a panga could be a better choice than a zodiac.

I think you can still book some of the bigger boats at the dock if water is rough.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rich people stay rich by living like broke people
Broke people stay broke by living like rich people

I noticed the squirrels are starting to gather nuts --
Are you in a safe place ??
Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
22,600 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
A Zodiac will be bumpy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

San Diego, CA/Cabo San Lucas Mexico
14,029 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by SadieN
A Zodiac will be bumpy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
I agree, and a panga doesn't offer seating with back support. There are a number of medium size yachts that I think would be better for you. There is the Rissalena, Day Sail Cabo, Cabo Sails, Tropicat to name a few. Google them for reviews. I would recommend getting a reservation because the smaller boats fill up during prime whale season.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
440 Days on the Sea and Counting