What to do in Matzatlan?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Mexican Riviera
Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:52 PM.
San Diego, CA
5,963 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Originally posted by OC SeaPA
We were looking at stone island tours- seems $35 or so for a 1 hr catamaran around mazatlan, lunch, open bar on island, and 2 activities is a great deal. Anyone use either Johann & Sandra from Mazatlan tours or stoneisland tours? Both seem about the same.
We have read here / heard from friends that organized tours to Stone Island are really not necessary since it is so easy (and cheaper) to do it on your own.

So that is what we're doing. We'll be sitting on the beach on Stone Island with our toes in the sand enjoying lunch and a few cold cervezas on Oct 3rd!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Otherwise known as 'Don Quique'..
CA
19 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
We just got back from Mazatlan on the Carnival Miracle, and walked to Stone Island from the cruise terminal. It was very easy. We did go to Lety's restaurant. The waiter there offered us a number of activities they could supply (banana boat, ATV rental, Kayak...). We rented kayaks from them (200 pesos per kayak for more than 2 hours). They kept our personal belongings safe for us while we were out kayaking. After kayaking we enjoyed some very delicious cheap margaritas.

I would highly reccomend it. To help people out I made 2 versions of a tiny little map to print out:

Ottawa, Canada
645 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by cap'n chunk
We just got back from Mazatlan on the Carnival Miracle, and walked to Stone Island from the cruise terminal. It was very easy. We did go to Lety's restaurant. The waiter there offered us a number of activities they could supply (banana boat, ATV rental, Kayak...). We rented kayaks from them (200 pesos per kayak for more than 2 hours). They kept our personal belongings safe for us while we were out kayaking. After kayaking we enjoyed some very delicious cheap margaritas.

I would highly reccomend it. To help people out I made 2 versions of a tiny little map to print out:

Great maps thanks. Can you provide an approximate distance/time required to get from 1-5?

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Currently working on our next 200 nights at sea!
CA
19 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by Josie2
Great maps thanks. Can you provide an approximate distance/time required to get from 1-5?

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Conservatively probably about 20-30 minutes at a leisurely pace depending on how quickly you can get on a boat. No more than a mile of total walking.

Google maps says it is 700m (~0.4 miles) from the cruise terminal to the water taxi pier. Probably about the same distance from where you get off the boat at stone island to Lety's Restaurant if you walk along the beach.
10,821 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
When you get off the water taxi, there will probably be a guy with a vehicle who will take you to Lety's or one of the other places for a couple of dollars if you don't want to walk.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rich people stay rich by living like broke people
Broke people stay broke by living like rich people

I noticed the squirrels are starting to gather nuts --
Are you in a safe place ??
San Diego, CA
5,963 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Originally posted by swedish weave
When you get off the water taxi, there will probably be a guy with a vehicle who will take you to Lety's or one of the other places for a couple of dollars if you don't want to walk.
Yes, but that's the lazy way.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
10,821 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by KroozNut
Yes, but that's the lazy way.
The,walk along the beach is nice, but those with mobility issues appreciate the ride.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by cap'n chunk
Conservatively probably about 20-30 minutes at a leisurely pace depending on how quickly you can get on a boat. No more than a mile of total walking.

Google maps says it is 700m (~0.4 miles) from the cruise terminal to the water taxi pier. Probably about the same distance from where you get off the boat at stone island to Lety's Restaurant if you walk along the beach.
Thanks for the map, very helpful. Is it possible to parasail at Stone Island? Most of the operators I've seen are at El Cid.
10,821 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by SnowSmurf
Thanks for the map, very helpful. Is it possible to parasail at Stone Island? Most of the operators I've seen are at El Cid.
I have been to Stone Island quite a few times and have not seen parasails. You may be able to email some of the tour sellers and see if any have moved in there recently.. Filippe at Letys may know, also.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
22,916 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Could take a Pulmonia for a two hour tour (~$20). Doing this in November, ending at the Mercado. Then walking the Blue Line back to port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Hudson, OH
220 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by SadieN
Could take a Pulmonia for a two hour tour (~$20). Doing this in November, ending at the Mercado. Then walking the Blue Line back to port.
SadieN - what will you try to see in your 2 hours? I'd like to walk around old town and see sights, maybe shop a little, and see the malecon (based upon reading about great people watching and getting a vibe for the people). Is "golden zone" worth seeing or just a tourist trap?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ruby Princess 10/17
Crown Princess 3/17
NCL Escape 10/16
NCL Getaway 5/16
Serenade OTS 3/16
NCL Breakaway 6/15
Summit 6/13
Carnival Dream 7/12
Golden Princess 5/09
Caribbean Princess 5/08
Caribbean Princess 5/06
Caribbean Princess 5/05
Explorer OTS 5/04
Grand Princess 5/02
Century 7/00
Sovereign OTS 6/96
Big Red Boat 4/90
10,821 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Kurtmo. We like to get a pulmonia driver to take us on their rather standard tour that includes a lookout point and through the houses on the hill called Mazatlan Beverly Hills then down to the malecon to see the divers and statues. Next they go downtown to the church and Mercado for some shopping. They will go to the gold zone if you want. It is some high end shops and the beach is pretty good.
The drivers,will go wherever you ask them to, and will adjust the tour and times for you.
We skip the Gold zone and have them take us to the water taxi for Stone Island.where we walk the beach to Lety's for some cold beer and play in the water. The food at Letys is very good. Coconut shrimp gets a lot of good comments

It makes a good day for us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Hudson, OH
220 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by swedish weave
Kurtmo. We like to get a pulmonia driver to take us on their rather standard tour that includes a lookout point and through the houses on the hill called Mazatlan Beverly Hills then down to the malecon to see the divers and statues. Next they go downtown to the church and Mercado for some shopping. They will go to the gold zone if you want. It is some high end shops and the beach is pretty good.
The drivers,will go wherever you ask them to, and will adjust the tour and times for you.
We skip the Gold zone and have them take us to the water taxi for Stone Island.where we walk the beach to Lety's for some cold beer and play in the water.
Swedish Weave,
This sounds pretty good, how much time do you allot for the Pulmonia "tour" versus how much time do you spend going to / at Stone Island? Do you need to walk the malecon or is riding along people watching good enough?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ruby Princess 10/17
Crown Princess 3/17
NCL Escape 10/16
NCL Getaway 5/16
Serenade OTS 3/16
NCL Breakaway 6/15
Summit 6/13
Carnival Dream 7/12
Golden Princess 5/09
Caribbean Princess 5/08
Caribbean Princess 5/06
Caribbean Princess 5/05
Explorer OTS 5/04
Grand Princess 5/02
Century 7/00
Sovereign OTS 6/96
Big Red Boat 4/90
10,821 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by KurtMo
Swedish Weave,
This sounds pretty good, how much time do you allot for the Pulmonia "tour" versus how much time do you spend going to / at Stone Island? Do you need to walk the malecon or is riding along people watching good enough?
We allow two or three hours for the pulmonia ride. If the ship arrives early morning, it can be a little cool for the beach at Stone Island.
We stay in the vehicle along the malecon except at the divers. Because we do that early, not too many people are walking the beach or malecon.
Example -- If we dock at 8am, we will get to the Mercado shortly after the merchants open, We sometimes go by the outdoor fish marlet to see the fresh fish, shrimp,lobsters etc. We have seen the beautiful old church enough, so we skip that. It is very near the mercado. The drivers know approx what time the divers do their thing, We watch them and we will get to Stone Island around 11:30 to noon.
If you have six or eight people, it is fun to go outside the terminal and get a pickup with bench seats in the back and stereo. The music is good and we had people dancing in the street as,we drove by.

It is warm -- The beer is cold --- Water feels great --- and sometimes we have the shrimp or chips and salsa or guacamole.

The trip back.to the ship may take 30 minutes or so. It is about three blocks from the,water taxi terminal to the port.

Great way to spend the day..
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

California
1,091 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
HI, i'm on the same sailing (10/28) and plan to go to Stone island on the local ferry if the weather is nice. I've done it a couple times and it was convenient and now I know where i'm going . We are having a cruise critic meet and greet and I was going to offer to get there as a group if others want to go. You are welcome to join
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
a bunch of others.....
Sapphire Princess January 2014
Caribbean Princess March 2013
NCL Epic March 2013
NCL Jade October 2012
Crown Princess August 2012
Review for Sea Princess- Alaska 5/13-23 2012 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1640072
NCL Pride of America Hawaii September 2007
70 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Originally posted by wiseguycruising
Go to Stone Island, rent ATV ride along the beach, then have some seafoods before head back to the ship.

How much is it to rent the ATV's & for how long? TIA

Webster, NY
38 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Thank you for all these suggestions! We will be on pour first mexican Riviera cruise in November and need all the port suggestions we can get. Thanks for sharing.
San Diego, CA
5,963 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Just back from Mazatlan and we did our own thing to Stone Island as well. Very easy and a great day.

Doing it all again next year!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature