Xmas Markets Second Thoughts Anyone?

Los_Pepes

Anyone having second thoughts of going to the Xmas markets this year in light of the State Department warning and today's arrest of the ISIS members?

I was unaware of both of these. Details, please. Thank you. Whatever the warning, it probably wouldn't change my mind. The odds are nothing would happen to me personally. I've been traveling since terrorist threats first started happening in the 1970s.

Roz

I wonder if that will change based on the arrests today.

I too don't generally get spooked by world events and let it impact my travel plans. This is a little different since the exact places I am taking my wife and kids to are being targeted.

Nope. I am in more danger driving on the freeway in my big city than I will be there. I refuse to live my life in fear. Bad things happen every day, everywhere. Live each day to the fullest and no regrets.

...Whatever the warning, it probably wouldn't change my mind. The odds are nothing would happen to me personally. I've been traveling since terrorist threats first started happening in the 1970s.

This is my philosophy as well. Probability of something happening is minimal and if we remain at home out of fear, the bad guys win. Yes, sometimes something happens, but look at all the times and places where nothing happens every day. That said, it doesn't hurt to remain alert and aware of what is going on around you when you travel.

FWIW, I worked terrorism at DOD until I retired so while I'm no longer working the subject, I keep abreast as best I can of what is going on around the world where I might be traveling.

Edited by Sir William

Be alert and have fun. That's my motto. If we don't go and have fun - the bad guys win. Sure something might happen - but something might happen here where I live. So the other option is to become a hermit and never venture out. That's not living.

We were in Strasburg last year on Christmas Eve, which was deemed a terrorist target. Everywhere we went, we saw increased security, all of whom appeared on high alert. We had a wonderful time. Obviously, anything could have happened, but I am also one of those that does not intend to let my life be governed by a terrorist. As I write this we are getting ready to head out to a large venue in the US where anything could happen here. It's not just a risk in Europe.

Still, whenever I travel internationally, I always take some common sense precautions. Always remain alert to your surroundings and the people around you, particularly when you are in a crowded area. Don't just follow the guides blindly. Pay attention to where you are and make sure you know how to get back to the boat on your own if you need to. I carry either our passports or copies of our passports with me at all times and make sure that I have credit cards and cash on me (can be US dollars). This gives me options if the unthinkable happens. I load into my cell phone the addresses and phone numbers of the nearest US embassies/consulates near where we will be, and make sure I know the emergency 911 number in each country. I also carry travel insurance that includes medical and civil unrest evacuation coverage. These are simple guide rules that security experts install at businesses for executives who travel. They are just as applicable when you are vacation, maybe even more so.

Go and have a great time. The markets are wonderful.

I'm currently living in Germany, and I've not heard a murmur of concern from any of my German colleagues about the Christmas Markets. We're planning a group outing to the one in Cologne.

For what it is worth, I've never felt unsafe in Germany, even walking home late. In the US, even living in a safe Chicago suburb, I felt more at risk.

We’re on a river cruise in a little over two weeks and have no intention of canceling. Not being fatalistic but if it happens - it happens. We’ll be careful and hope for the best for everyone. Safe travels to all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anyone having second thoughts of going to the Xmas markets this year in light of the State Department warning and today's arrest of the ISIS members?

We leave in 12 days and can't wait!

We love the markets and go often. The last several years have seen an increase in security, which is very visible.

I'm currently living in Germany, and I've not heard a murmur of concern from any of my German colleagues about the Christmas Markets. We're planning a group outing to the one in Cologne.

For what it is worth, I've never felt unsafe in Germany, even walking home late. In the US, even living in a safe Chicago suburb, I felt more at risk.

One can’t prevent terrorism attacks the same as prevented being attacked in a place ridden with crime. Unfortunately no place in the world is safe from terrorism. The odds of it happening to you are still very minute. Think about automobile accidents. We all unfortunately know people who perished or were seriously injured in an automobile accident. Yet that does not stop us from driving in cars. Live life and pray to stay safe is all we can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My take on this sort of thing is that I absolutely refuse to live in fear. That being said, I don't think I'm likely to travel to places that are known for extended and constant acts of violence associated with terrorism. But otherwise, with the recent advent of people renting trucks to use as a weapon, you could be in Anytown USA and get mowed down.

We leave in 10 days and am so excited. I too refuse to live in fear - but will be aware and cautious while in Europe. But it's the same here whether in Dallas, New York, LA or at church. It can happen anywhere as we have seen in recent weeks here in the USofA.

By far and away the most dangerous thing you do is drive. You are 100 times more likely die in a car than a terorist attack. You can check the math it’s true.

We leave on Dec. 4 for our fourth Christmas market cruise and our 23rd river cruise overall. Have never felt threatened on any and they have been in many different countries. So looking forward to France and it's Christmas markets.