Nervous about travel documents - please help!

travelingfrugal

Hi cruisers,

First time cruiser here. Sailing an Eastern Carribean itinerary (San Juan, Saint Martin, Labadee) in about one month.

I applied for a passport yesterday and paid the extra fee for expedited processing. (No overnight shipping, though)

Since I needed to submit my BC with the application, I’ve already ordered a second copy from the vital statistics office via VitalChek.

I do not have a driver’s license. I do have a state ID.

If there is a delay in processing my passport application, will the BC + my ID be enough to cruise?

Since it is closed loop, I believe so. However, I have read that some of the ports themselves require passports and if your ship is going to one of them, they won’t even let you board with a BC + ID

Thanks!

Since all of your ports are in the Western Hemisphere, the WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative) covers your ability to travel on a cruise using just your birth certificate and your DL (state ID in your case). All of the nations in the Western Hemisphere have agreed to this initiative, so you will be okay. The only problem area is Belize, where due to their sketchy passport controls, ships sometimes get a little more stringent interview when returning to the US.

Since all of your ports are in the Western Hemisphere, the WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative) covers your ability to travel on a cruise using just your birth certificate and your DL (state ID in your case). All of the nations in the Western Hemisphere have agreed to this initiative, so you will be okay. The only problem area is Belize, where due to their sketchy passport controls, ships sometimes get a little more stringent interview when returning to the US.

Good to hear! Thanks.

You should have your passport back if you have expedited it.

I would check with the cruise line on the documentation that you need.

Keith

I agree that you should have your passport back in time. Unless your cruise line is one of the few that requires passports of all passengers your back up documentation will be sufficient (as long as your state ID has a photo on it).

You should have your passport back if you have expedited it.

I would check with the cruise line on the documentation that you need.

Keith

I hope so! I had to submit a bunch of extra documentation because I don’t have a DL. It should be fine, if they don’t ask me for more information.

I will probably inquire with the cruise line too.

I agree that you should have your passport back in time. Unless your cruise line is one of the few that requires passports of all passengers your back up documentation will be sufficient (as long as your state ID has a photo on it).

I don’t think it is? (RCCL) my state ID does have a photo.

While not relevant to OP's concerns, this is not correct: both Cuba and Brazil are in the Western Hemisphers and passports and visas are required on cruises stopping there.

Of course, we all should remember that some cruise lines require that all passengers on all itineraries present (and often surrender) valid passports at embarkation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t think it is? (RCCL) my state ID does have a photo.

RCCL does not require passports of all passengers on all itineraries, that's only done by some of the luxury lines (I guess they don't trust their passengers to make up their own minds;)).

RCCL does not require passports of all passengers on all itineraries, that's only done by some of the luxury lines (I guess they don't trust their passengers to make up their own minds;)).

That’s what I thought. Glad I didn’t book with a luxury line (nothing against them - it would just make this process a lot more stressful)

I know you know the real reason why. [emoji41]

But, just for those who may wonder why:

Requiring the passports from everyone on every cruise (including surrendering it to the purser on most itineraries) is a courtesy to passengers and a cruise line efficacy.

The passenger courtesy:

>no worries about what is or isn't an acceptable ID.

>no need to be available for early AM customs/border examination on arrival in port (with a very few exceptions).

>no hold up due to other passengers' ID issues.

>no problem locating/transferring passport to port agent for anyone who misses the ship.

The cruise line efficacy:

>all of the above (so, basically, eliminate any ID related problems).

And, of course, there's some common business sense here as well. Most of the premium/luxury segment cruisers are already passport holders (or can easily afford one/many if they're a newbie). So, requiring a passport is seldom a "deal breaker" for someone contemplating one of those cruises.

While not relevant to OP's concerns, this is not correct: both Cuba and Brazil are in the Western Hemisphers and passports and visas are required on cruises stopping there.

With regards to Cuba, due to its recent addition to cruises from the US, I tend to forget its "special status", since the US didn't have relations with Cuba when the WHTI was implemented. Mea culpa.

With regards to Brazil, I'm not aware of any closed loop cruises from the US to Brazil, so I'm not sure if the WHTI clearance to cruise there on a BC and DL has been proven or not. Perhaps I should have been more specific in my answer, limiting it to closed loop cruises from the US.

With regards to Cuba, due to its recent addition to cruises from the US, I tend to forget its "special status", since the US didn't have relations with Cuba when the WHTI was implemented. Mea culpa.

With regards to Brazil, I'm not aware of any closed loop cruises from the US to Brazil, so I'm not sure if the WHTI clearance to cruise there on a BC and DL has been proven or not. Perhaps I should have been more specific in my answer, limiting it to closed loop cruises from the US.

I was really just referring to your statement referring to "all countries in the Western Hemisphere" - and admittedly outside the area of OP's interest. There are, however, a number of round trip itineraries from Florida ports stopping in Brazil: HAL, Oceania, Cunard, Princess among them - which are probably definable as "closed loop", and therefore arguably covered by WHTI.

You cannot enter Brazil w/o a passport and a visa (US Citizens). Regardless of itinerary.

Brazil is not included in the WHTI.

If you want to get extra technical, Brazil doesn't really require a visa "fee" for a US citizen. Rather, the current $160 USD is a reciprocity fee.

However, that may all change in the next few months as Brazil is scheduled to start using ETAs in the US. But, who knows what that will mean.

If you want to get extra technical, Brazil doesn't really require a visa "fee" for a US citizen. Rather, the current $160 USD is a reciprocity fee.

However, that may all change in the next few months as Brazil is scheduled to start using ETAs in the US. But, who knows what that will mean.

Interesting...if they did away with the fee, regardless of name, I might consider an itinerary that included Brazil.

Regardless, Brazil has no standing with the WHTI. Passports required.

You would have been fine with your BC and DL....assuming you're American. That's all you need for a "closed loop" cruise to the Caribbean.

I am American. I was just getting the passport for good measure. Since there was a chance I might not get it in time, I want to be absolutely sure this documentation is sufficient.