Do I really want to make a 6 hour drive for the interview to get Global Entry Status?

Kate-AHF

Really depends on your tolerance and frequency when crossing the boarder or flying?

When I got GE I was doing a lot of international flying. I was able to make an interview appointment at one of the airports I was connecting at so, it really wasn't that inconvenient for me like it is for you.

I can share that I'm so happy to have GE today. I don't do as much international flying now but, every time I fly back to the US I am just amazed at the long lines for immigration/customs without GE. Also domestically flying, it is so nice to automatically get the pre check security line instead of the normal (because we have GE).

I would suggest trying a different airport if you are flying and making a connection somewhere. If not, I would personally make a day trip out of it and do the 6 hour drive (I say day trip as in doing something else in addition to the interview).

Cheers,

John

check other airports if you can. We began the GE process in July.

We live in South Florida and in NC. ONLY airport in NC that we could have made an appt for was Charlotte--about 2.5 hrs away.

We then checked Ft Lauderdale...about 20 minutes trip; earliest we could have gotten an interview was in January!

We checked Miami...an hour away. All time slots open for weeks! No brainer which place we went!!!

The interview was about 5 minutes!

Will be testing out GE Monday when we travel through Miami, Dallas, & Sydney airports!

Well, Dulles is our only option. Charlotte is 5 hours, so is Philly. Can anyone comment on how long it takes after the interview to get the status? We will be flying out of Dulles internationally twice next year, and we could arrange it on our first trip.

Somehow we got TSA Pre status in March this year for a Panama Canal cruise out of Florida. I didn't apply, it was just on our tickets. Because of it, the domestic airport experience was... really not awful. That's what started me down this path. We probably aren't making enough overseas trips, but I'm still thinking it I would like to have it.

We had a 2.5 hr drive, each way, to BNA. Getting GE was worth it for us!

After the interview, we got notice that we were approved and in the system within about three days. It took a couple of weeks longer to get the GE ID cards, which we never use. The cards just have our known travelers numbers on them.

After you get GE, update your frequent flyer accounts with the information to get precheck.

Cpp;

Funny story flying into Sidney on the A380. Australia accepts our GE. We collected our bags and start to go through the line. Everyone on that flight must have had GE! The line up was incredible. We looked at the standard line and almost no one was in. We processed through in about 2 minutes while those in the GE lines waited for quite awhile. Always look at the lines, before finally choosing which one you want!

Edited by pinotlover

pinotlover.....good advice about choosing the lines!

Yeah, we kinda think that people who fly to Sydney and to Mumbai (cruise after Sydney) are probably the same people who would get GE--making for those lines you described!!!

Now we just want the ports on the Mumbai-Rome to get calm before we get there....3 UAE ports, Luxor, Petra, Suez Canal, and Jerusalem.....peace out, everybody!!!

definitely it is worth it. You were lucky you got a TSA Pre last time. CBP is going to discontinue the random ones.

IAD is a pain -- did mine there the first time. The last time I did it at MCO (yes they require another interview for renewal -- at they did 4 years ago). Next year I get another renewal. Hard to believe the program is almost 10 years old. (I was one of the first on the pilot trial at IAD)

My DW did at it Miami. Both Orlando and MIA do not have any appointment queues as FLL does. IAD did talk walkins if there was a cancellation or no show, When It did the renewal there were 5 people who go in that way.

Worth it -- yes would have missed many connecting flights without GE and TSA Pre. Last trip from Arrival at Gate in Newark -- thru passport - customs, up stairs to train at B terminal to C terminal through Security to gate/lounge -- in under 20 minutes. For those that did not have it -- likely well over an hour as the queue and customs and passport was HUGE.

There is now a GE lane for cruise passengers -- (not automated -- you show the card).

I agree that the 6 hours doesn't seem to be worth it, but if you have a layover in a location where you can do the interview do it that way. The TSA pre you experienced was an intro that was a sales effort by the airlines, it is no longer being given out.

Really depends on your tolerance and frequency when crossing the boarder or flying?

When I got GE I was doing a lot of international flying. I was able to make an interview appointment at one of the airports I was connecting at so, it really wasn't that inconvenient for me like it is for you.

I can share that I'm so happy to have GE today. I don't do as much international flying now but, every time I fly back to the US I am just amazed at the long lines for immigration/customs without GE. Also domestically flying, it is so nice to automatically get the pre check security line instead of the normal (because we have GE).

I would suggest trying a different airport if you are flying and making a connection somewhere. If not, I would personally make a day trip out of it and do the 6 hour drive (I say day trip as in doing something else in addition to the interview).

Cheers,

John

John,

Agree with everything you say.

We too made an appointment in CLE on a family trip as the appointments at SFO were several months out.

Getting the GE was one of the best things we've done and have already renewed it once.

Just one additional thing - there are several CCs that will cover the cost of the GE (in addition to the other benefits - like miles, etc).

Also, remember that there is a special line for GE for customs as well - a line that can be very long otherwise.

As Canadians we have Nexus cards. In addition to expedited customs screening into Canada it gives us access to GE, priority security screening at most airports in Canada, and TSA Precheck in the US. Best $50 we ever spent.

We made the drive because at the time we could not get an interview at our local airport about an hour from us so we had to go to the nearest one after that about three hours away.

We are thrilled to have GE. Great for international and we also have TSA Pre Check.

Keith

Global Entry expedited clearance is good, but the automatic TSA pre-check on domestic flights (much more frequent) is the real value. Definitely worth it if you plan to fly a few times during the next five years : that six hour investment can easily save an hour on each round trip domestic trip. We average at least two or three per year plus one international arrival.

If you really do not fly much - probably not worth the effort.

Well, Dulles is our only option. Charlotte is 5 hours, so is Philly. Can anyone comment on how long it takes after the interview to get the status? We will be flying out of Dulles internationally twice next year, and we could arrange it on our first trip.

Somehow we got TSA Pre status in March this year for a Panama Canal cruise out of Florida. I didn't apply, it was just on our tickets. Because of it, the domestic airport experience was... really not awful. That's what started me down this path. We probably aren't making enough overseas trips, but I'm still thinking it I would like to have it.

Do you realize that you can get trusted traveler status without as many hoops to jump through? If you are not flying internationally that is really all you need. You get precheck all the time, and that is the key. With the new mobile passport app flying back into the country it's pretty easy to clear customs and immigration. Last time my wife and I flew home I cleared quicker than she did and she has global entry and I don't. This with through ATl, which can be bad, but not like at JFK.

Interesting that you asked this today. I just drove to Dulles (2 hours each way) on Thursday to have the interview. A friend had also applied so we made our appointments at the same time. Our appointments were at 12:15 and the e-mail saying I now had Global Entry was sent at 3:06 p.m. They will send a card but that is only for driving over the border to/from Mexico or Canada. You use your PASSID number for everything else.

The interview is really only to take your picture and your fingerprints. Basically you are already approved when they ask you to make an appointment. The only two questions I was asked was if I was having a good day and if I had any questions.

I had first checked into getting TSA pre-check but for $15 more I went for the Global Entry.

Not sure where you live in Virginia or when you want to use it but you can now have interviews near the Richmond airport. Only reason I had to go to Dulles was that Richmond had no appointments before April 3 and I leave in January.

I live in CO and when i was looking at getting GE here in Denver i would have had to wait for over 6 months. We were getting ready to go on an AK cruise which started in Vancouver BC. They have an office there for GE so i made the appointment for when i got off the plane. Walked in was asked a few questions, finger printed and done. Got GE status email pretty quick. Card was home after the cruise.

Have used it several times getting off of flights and it has been great. The TSA pre check is wonderful most of the time.

Totally worth it! The lines in regular customs are generally awful, and if you ever find yourself with a short domestic connection when returning from an international flight (ex. When flying from Paris to Houston, one option is to connect through LaGuardia) it can help you not miss a flight! Last group I traveled with, those with GE made the connection, those without did not.

My suggestion - Make a day of it and have a nice lunch/dinner in DC if possible, but do make the drive because it’s worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Three hours up to Dulles, three hours back. Worth it?

Here in Northern California, folks sometimes do that length drive just to go to dinner. [emoji41]

BTW, you could set an appointment for a time around when you're flying in or out of any airport where CBP does the interviews. No extra driving that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just because you got Pre-Check for one trip, does not mean you will get it every trip. Unless you apply for it.

And Global Entry is so much more convenient when returning to the US.

And to me it is a no brainer, $85 for Pre-Check or $100 for Global Entry, which includes Pre-Check.

BTW, Pre-Check is not just for domestic flights. It also works for international flights on US carriers, and some, but not all, foreign carriers.

I would wait until you are flying out of Dulles, or through an airport you can do the interview.

I live about 2 hours from Dulles, but fly out of there often. So I made my appointment for a day I was leaving, got the airport early, checked in, then went down for my interview.

BTW, in the DC there are a number of locations you can do it in the city, no need to do to Dulles airport. I did my renewal at the Reagan Building. Easy Metro access.

Just because you got Pre-Check for one trip, does not mean you will get it every trip. Unless you apply for it.

And Global Entry is so much more convenient when returning to the US.

And to me it is a no brainer, $85 for Pre-Check or $100 for Global Entry, which includes Pre-Check.

BTW, Pre-Check is not just for domestic flights. It also works for international flights on US carriers, and some, but not all, foreign carriers.

That last line is great info, thanks. If we continue to fly from Montreal to the states (which can save us a few hundred over flying from a US airport) we'll have to get Global entry since it would have reduced the amount of time for processing between connections, which can be tight.