Red Hook to Manhattan Ferry

Solent Richard

The New York Ferrry map shows a dotted line denoting “summer only service” to Red Hook Atlantic Basin.

An online schedule dated 11/4/17 shows service to Red Hook weekdays and weekends.

Maybe its like white chicken gravy, we have a confusion over English and USA notations—4/11/17 could be the start of summer, what there is of it , in England

Will it be running for our January 3 boarding?

David

My interpretation is the same as Underwatr's.

Look for the solid pink line on the NYC ferry route map which I understand to be the year-round South Brooklyn Route service from Wall Street to Dumbo, Atlantic Avenue, and Red Hook, and then on to Sunset Park, and Bay Ridge.

The dotted pink line for the South Brooklyn "Summer Service" is additional seasonal service to Governors Island.

And yes, the online South Brooklyn Route schedule that states "Effective: 11/4/2017" is using the US format for dates, meaning that schedule is effective from November 4, 2017.

Now granted I haven't used the NYC ferry service yet, but that's my interpretation of the situation regarding the ferry service to Red Hook.

Edit: The NYC Ferry app shows the South Brooklyn service to Red Hook is effective on January 3, 2018 and the schedule is the same as shown in the online schedule from the web site.

Regards, John

Edited by bluemarble

But it's all moot for us this trip. Our experience with luggage leaving Penn Station convinced us to take a cab all the way to the pier on Friday.:loudcry:

WOO BOY! The words "Penn Station" and (well anything, but especially...) "Luggage" should not be used together. Especially since there's no great transportation to the Wall St. pier with lots of luggage.

About the only decent transportation terminal for New York is Grand Central (and it's a beauty!) - but Penn Station, LaGuardia, Newark, and most of JFK is an embarrassment to such a great city. (The three passenger cruise terminals each have their own issues, but that's another story)

We are staying near Penn Station New Years weekend for our Jan 3 QM2 departure. (Amtrak from Pittsburgh PA, big bags shipped by White Star)

We are going to try riding the MTA 1 train Penn Station to South Ferry, walking 8 minutes with our weekend bags to the Wall St. Ferry Terminal, and riding to Red Hook. Both Penn Station and South Ferry are listed as accessible, but we will check to see if escalators or elevators service the platforms we need.

No taxis or hire cars we have ever used (since 1980) have been able to find any place in Brooklyn from Manhattan— I have to give them directions.

We have walked from Carroll Street and Smith/Ninth several times are are lucky to be fit enough to be able to do some stairs with medium sized cases—but its embarrassing and a little scarey as really very helpful locals always volunteer to help. We started doing bag/stairs training on the London Tube in the 70’s.

We have often used the B61 bus from the Downtown Brooklyn Fulton Mall station.

I want to try the Ferry direct to the Atlantic Basin—should somewhat more room on the ferry for two medium suitcases than the B61 bus.

I think summer service runs to Governor's Island but the service to & past Red Hook/Atlantic Basin runs all year.

We took the Redhook to Wall Street Ferry from the QM2 on the 8th December. One of the locals on the ferry told me that the service is now running continuously through the winter (he was a commuter from Brooklyn to Wall Street and will be using the ferry every day for the foreseeable future) and told me that this is the first winter that the service has run. As others have stated the destinations other than Wall Street may have different timetables but Brooklyn Redhook Atlantic Basin to Wall Street runs every day - during the mornings and afternoons midweek it is every half hour with slightly less frequent service at times outside of the peaks. Weekend schedules are slightly different.

The Cunard on-board tour office can print off the current ferry schedule and a map which you can take with you. It is a fast and efficient service with a good capacity for passenger numbers. There are two stops between Redhook and Wall Street with the stop just before Wall Street being the Brooklyn Bridge on the opposite side of the water to Manhatten. Even in choppy water conditions the gangway moves nicely with the ferry bobbing up and down so it is not hard to get on and off in almost all weathers.

I was very impressed with the service quality, and efficient crew, and for the price it is unbeatable, especially compared to any other means of getting from the ship to Manhatten.

An update on our recent experience with the ferry. We disembarked on 22 December. There were three of us, with 4 *large* bags between us, and some smaller bags. I'd done a dry run on the ferry, so knew what to expect. It was an easy walk from the Terminal to the ferry slip, even with our bags. Getting on the ferry was painless. Since we were heading to Penn Station, at Wall Street we transferred to the East River Ferry to 34th Street (I wanted to avoid the subway, and also wanted as short a taxi ride as possible). I had thought that one of us would take the luggage in a taxi, and the rest would ride the free ferry shuttle bus. But the taxi I flagged down was a 'handicap' version. He dropped down the ramp and rolled our bags right into the back. The three of us hopped into the back seat. I couldn't believe how well it worked out. Traffic that day was horrendous, but we were at Penn Station in about 20 minutes. I have access to the Acela Lounge at Penn Station, so we relaxed there for 40 minutes, then had a Red Cap trundle our luggage to the train. We were painlessly aboard and on our way. well worth the Red Cap's tip. At least in our experience, the ferry/taxi combo worked out really well.

And, the bonus of departing on the ferry is the treat of bidding adieu to the Queen Mary with water views.

Thanks for the additional advice—I did not research enough to realize there were ferry busses to the East River as well as the Hudson.

Wow, should be a great ride—UN Building, Brooklyn Bridge, and water approach to the QM2!

David

• 2 months later...

Just saw news reports from yesterday discussing these new "Lower East Side" and "Soundview" routes on the NYC ferry with additional stops which could offer some more options for travel by ferry between Red Hook and Manhattan (or even the Bronx for that matter). Perhaps not news to those who have been following the NYC ferry closely, but this was new to me. As the site states, "Coming Summer 2018".

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/lower-east-side/

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/soundview/

Having found inspiration on these pages, and particularly from 'Post Captain'...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2519678

...I have hopefully written a definitive guide on the NYC Ferry service between Red Hook and Pier 11, Manhattan on my cruise blog...

37090685266_d891e63f69_z.jpg

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/09/25/new-york-brooklyn-transfers-update/

36609638103_cdfc1a63cb_z.jpg

36609637423_778a48b728_z.jpg

37421445055_74a7f85a7e_z.jpg

If any member does have any further advice or comment I am always happy to update the blog

Stunning service! We loved it on our last visit on QM2 to NYC. Regards

Skillies

• 2 months later...

Looks like there may be a minor revision to the route map for service on the South Brooklyn ferry route. Here is what I found on the NYC Ferry web site when drilling down specifically to the page for the South Brooklyn route and schedule.

SB-Route-Map.png

This is slightly different to what is shown for the South Brooklyn route on the full route map of all the NYC Ferry services with regard to the seasonal service to Governors Island.

My understanding is that the dotted line for service between Wall Street and Governors Island represents weekend service starting May 26, 2018. We are planning to take the ferry from Wall Street to Red Hook to join QM2 on Sunday, June 10. So now I'll just make a mental note to make sure we take the South Brooklyn ferry in the direction of Bay Ridge rather than in the direction of Governors Island when boarding at Wall Street.