Celebrity Gratuity Program - or not?

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 9,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:11 PM.
Adelaide, South Australia
109 Posts
Joined May 2017
Hi All

Must confess that the whole tipping thing does my head in. Being an Australian and not being used it as I'm sure my friends over the pond are, it just seems like an extra charge that should have been part of the cruise cost. To Celebrity's benefit however you can opt out and elect to tip just those folks you want to, in addition to 18% on all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services.

I'd much rather take that option and reward those people who stand out and provide exceptional service.

Question is - am I being unreasonable?

Regards
22 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by jzjcwg
Hi All

Must confess that the whole tipping thing does my head in. Being an Australian and not being used it as I'm sure my friends over the pond are, it just seems like an extra charge that should have been part of the cruise cost. To Celebrity's benefit however you can opt out and elect to tip just those folks you want to, in addition to 18% on all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services.

I'd much rather take that option and reward those people who stand out and provide exceptional service.

Regards

If you are booking a Celebrity Cruise in Australia the gratuities are included in your cruise fare so it’s a bit of a non-issue. You can’t opt out

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
109 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by Brisgal1290
If you are booking a Celebrity Cruise in Australia the gratuities are included in your cruise fare so it’s a bit of a non-issue. You can’t opt out

Thanks for tip, I'll check with my travel agent

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app
Canberra Australia
44,897 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Thanks for tip, I'll check with my travel agent

The Gratuities should be included for any sailing out of Sydney or Auckland. If you are cruising elsewhere however, they will be added on as a daily charge or you can opt to pre pay or have them removed for you to pay personally and sometimes you can even get them paid as one of the chosen perks .
Pepsicola FL
11,228 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Hi All

Regards

simply, yes.

the daily gratuity covers people that you do not interact with yet still provide you with direct services. feel free to offer a token extra ON TOP OF the daily surcharge to those you feel have gone above and beyond. 'when in Rome' and all that.

the fee covers your stateroom attendant and your dining, regardless of where on board you eat( in 'included' venues, not specialty dining or anything that incurs a surcharge). it is a fee that is simply listed separately and should be considered part of the total cruise cost.
Fredericksburg, va. USA
88,813 Posts
Joined May 2001
Taxes and port fees are "listed" separately, too (if you look at the breakdown!)....but it's ALL part of the cost of cruising.
Coastal GA USA
23,787 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Fair enough, still don't understand why they just don't include it in the cruise cost though.

Cruise line explanation has to do with the income tax structure in the countries of origin of the crew. For many of the countries, if it was included in the fare, it would be considered salary and the crew member would have to pay income tax on it. However, as a gratuity the do not pay income tax on it (or maybe avoid declaring it). EM
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Celebrity Equinox 08/25/18
Carnival Splendor 1/14/18 13 nites
Carnival Elation 12/11/17 5 nites
Carnival Fascination 10/8/17 4 nites
Carnival Magic 8/26/17 8 nites
Carnival Pride B2B 21 nites 2/19/17 Caribbean
Carnival Glory 8/27/16
MSC Divina 5/7/16
Carnival Fascination 22 Feb 2016 Bahamas
MSC Divina 11/20-23/2013 Bahamas
Coral Princess 17 July 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette 22 May 2013 Adriatic & Italy
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas
QM 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas
QE 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights
Pepsicola FL
11,228 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Fair enough, still don't understand why they just don't include it in the cruise cost though.

cuz they don't. Land based hotels don't either.. with taxes and fees adding as much as 25-30% on top of the advertised price. its just how the industry operates.
Minnesota
539 Posts
Joined Jan 2017

This is an income tax situation....if the gratuity were part of the cruise cost, then it would be counted as income to the cruise company. By listing it as gratuity, it is turned over to the staff and the staff claims/pays any income tax on it if applicable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Check out the new Positivity thread in the Float away Lounge:
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2625988

DH's other half
Coastal GA USA
23,787 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by rccampbell
This is an income tax situation....if the gratuity were part of the cruise cost, then it would be counted as income to the cruise company. By listing it as gratuity, it is turned over to the staff and the staff claims/pays any income tax on it if applicable.
I don't think this is quite right, but it leads me to word my explanation a bit differently. The crew are paid a 'modest' stipend on which they pay income tax in their home country. If the gratuities were included in the cruise fare, they would be disbursed to the crew as pay, and they would be taxed on it. But if they receive the money as a gratuity from the passengers, it is taxed/reported/treated differently and they get to send home more money. EM
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Celebrity Equinox 08/25/18
Carnival Splendor 1/14/18 13 nites
Carnival Elation 12/11/17 5 nites
Carnival Fascination 10/8/17 4 nites
Carnival Magic 8/26/17 8 nites
Carnival Pride B2B 21 nites 2/19/17 Caribbean
Carnival Glory 8/27/16
MSC Divina 5/7/16
Carnival Fascination 22 Feb 2016 Bahamas
MSC Divina 11/20-23/2013 Bahamas
Coral Princess 17 July 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette 22 May 2013 Adriatic & Italy
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas
QM 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas
QE 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights
Preston UK
2,258 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
Originally posted by cb at sea
Taxes and port fees are "listed" separately, too (if you look at the breakdown!)....but it's ALL part of the cost of cruising.
They are not" listed" separately in the UK for cruises in the UK or anywhere.
Maybe that is the same in AU.

OP is cruising in Europe - Italy and Greece
Preston UK
2,258 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
Originally posted by spookwife
'when in Rome' and all that.
He is in Rome??

"In Rome, waiters / taxi drivers are getting spoiled with foreigners leaving tips and are now often expecting them. But you don't need to tip in Italy"
109 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by Aulanis
They are not" listed" separately in the UK for cruises in the UK or anywhere.
Maybe that is the same in AU.

OP is cruising in Europe - Italy and Greece
Not sure about cruises out of Australia but tipping generally is rare and only done for exceptional service.

Canberra Australia
44,897 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Mediterranean, out of Rome.

No worries, in that case the gratuities will not be automatically included in the fare, you can choose to pre pay them or have them added as a daily charge on your cruise. You can also opt to remove them and pay out the gratuities to the staff personally (which is then pooled) as will not meet all the people who would normally get a benefit from the auto gratuity. They may be an opportunity to have picked the gratuity as a perk but if you are already booked that may not be the case.
In any case, it is your choice how you deal with it.
Canberra Australia
44,897 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Not sure about cruises out of Australia but tipping generally is rare and only done for exceptional service.

As mentioned, the gratuities are included in the fare for Australian cruises. And yes, you can still tip extra fro extraordinary service.
22 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by MicCanberra
No worries, in that case the gratuities will not be automatically included in the fare, you can choose to pre pay them or have them added as a daily charge on your cruise. You can also opt to remove them and pay out the gratuities to the staff personally (which is then pooled) as will not meet all the people who would normally get a benefit from the auto gratuity. They may be an opportunity to have picked the gratuity as a perk but if you are already booked that may not be the case.
In any case, it is your choice how you deal with it.

I am doing the same cruise out of Rome and the Celebrity fare from my Australian travel agent includes the gratuities. So confusing!

Canberra Australia
44,897 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by Brisgal1290
I am doing the same cruise out of Rome and the Celebrity fare from my Australian travel agent includes the gratuities. So confusing!

For overseas cruises, perhaps you got them included as part of the fare due to the deal they were offering, sometimes they include them automatically and sometimes it is as a perk.