[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:27 PM.
Enosburg Falls, VT
20,034 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by Je Souhaite
There was a time when you paid less for Carnival and actually got more. These days are L O N G gone.

It's worth the investment of paying more for a better experience, on a better ship with superior service and entertainment. Plus, you end up sailing with others that appreciate the same.
It might be worth more to some, but it certainly doesn't apply to everyone. I have no interest at all in paying more for a "nicer" ship or "better" entertainment and the service on CCL is perfectly acceptable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323
NCL Gem Bahamas May 2014 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=255699
CCL Fascination S. Caribbean October 2016 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=551888
CCL Glory W. Caribbean November 2017 https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberr...EntryID=600224
CCL Pride Bahamas February 2018 https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberr...EntryID=612050

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!
N. California
684 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
After 12 Carnival cruises and two Royal Oasis class cruises. I believe Royal has a better product overall. Carnival does provide a great cruise, has the best pizza, excellent steakhouse but the cutbacks have taken a toll on my experience. The Vista was a let down. Looking forward to the Glory in a couple weeks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future:
2018 – RCCL Symphony (Caribbean)

2018 – Carnival Splendor (Mexican Riviera)
2019 – RCCL Adventure (Fall Foliage – NJ to Quebec)
2019 – Carnival Splendor (Mexican Riviera)

Past:
2004 – HAL Zuiderdam (Caribbean)
2006 – Carnival Triumph (Caribbean)
2007 – Costa Fortuna (Europe)
2008 – HAL Zuiderdam (Caribbean)
2008 – Carnival Spirit (Mexican Riviera)
2009 – Carnival Spirit (Alaska)
2010 – HAL Oosterdam (Mexican Riviera)
2011 – Carnival Valor (Caribbean)
2011 – Carnival Spirit (Mexican Riviera)
2012 – Carnival Breeze (Europe)
2012 – Carnival Liberty (Caribbean)
2013 – Carnival Breeze (Caribbean)
2013 – Carnival Inspiration (Mexican Riviera)
2013 – Carnival Miracle (Mexican Riviera)
2014 – HAL Eurodam (Caribbean)
2014 – Carnival Breeze (Caribbean)
2015 – HAL Noordam (Caribbean)
2015 – Crown Princess (Mexican Riviera)
2016 – RCCL Allure (Caribbean)
2016 – Carnival Vista (Europe)
2017 – RCCL Harmony (Caribbean)
2017 – HAL Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska)
2017 – HAL Nieuw Amsterdam (Pacific Coastal)

2018 – Carnival Glory (Caribbean)
622 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
Originally posted by sparks1093
It might be worth more to some, but it certainly doesn't apply to everyone. I have no interest at all in paying more for a "nicer" ship or "better" entertainment and the service on CCL is perfectly acceptable.
I agree.
622 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
I have found the rooms smaller on Royal, the food better on Carnival and the entertainment no better on either. For now we'll stick with the best value and that's Carnival.
All over the world
2,826 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
Originally posted by sparks1093
Spot on.
Charlotte, NC
11,119 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by Rh2458
I have found the rooms smaller on Royal, the food better on Carnival and the entertainment no better on either. For now we'll stick with the best value and that's Carnival.
Best value says it all... but value is a personal conclusion. My value may not equal your value. It's good to have lots of choices, and competition drives even better values in the future.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
08/18 Carnival Fascination | 04/12 NCL Spirit | 01/11 Carnival Liberty | 08/10 NCL Pride of America | 11/09 Carnival Miracle | 8/08 NCL Pearl | 5/08 NCL Majesty | 3/07 Celebrity Mercury | 9/06 Elation | 3/06 Carnival Valor | 2/05 NCL Majesty | 11/03 Jubilee | 9/01 Holiday
Marietta Ga
1,608 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Hate to admit it, but I have a spreadsheet that calculates My Value. I assign 1- 5 points for Price, Ship, Dates (Length), Ports of Call, Departure Port. Highest overall score gets booked.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Jim and Jane
Last 5
RCI Freedom of the Seas 9/2015
RCI Radiance of the Seas 6/2016
CCL Triumph 11/2016
RCI Oasis 9/2017
CCL Vista 2/2018
Phila. PA
20,577 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
I don't know which RCI ships you sailed on but the entertainment on the Oasis class ships is not in the same league as Carnivals.

I'd still sail both depending on what kind of cruise and itinerary I was looking for.

Bill
Fort Lauderdale, FL
3,757 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by lcpagejr
Agree... That poster appears to always be more negative.... I have noticed he leaves his mark on almost every lines forum.... and his/her responses are usually short. That should tell you something!
I have had riclop on ignore for quite some time. You should do the same
Fort Lauderdale, FL
3,757 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by Computer Nerd
For the cost, CCL is better.
My Allure cruise next year was cheaper than Glory for the same dates....
Fort Lauderdale, FL
3,757 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by Domino D
Thanks for the reply. I didn't notice any difference in wait times, but I'm not always paying attention to that. In fact I wad surprised that it never felt crowded on the Freedom or Oasis.

You did remind me of another Carnival plus... the Hub App. That is a real plus for Carnival and we missed it a lot on Royal.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app
Wait times are generally much worse on Carnival than a ship like Harmony.
Fort Lauderdale, FL
3,757 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Reading through the comments.... "Best value" "cheaper" "less expensive" "value".... That about sums it up. Carnival is cheap. The experience isn't comparable to the larger Royal ships. Carnival certainly competes with, or beats the smaller Royal ships, though. If prices were the same, it's clear Royal offers a better product on their larger ships than Carnival is able to provide. I would say Carnival's itineraries are generally superior, though.
NC
276 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by BNBR
Reading through the comments.... "Best value" "cheaper" "less expensive" "value".... That about sums it up. Carnival is cheap. The experience isn't comparable to the larger Royal ships. ...
My last experience with RCI leads me to respectfully disagree. Cruising on ("larger") Oasis five years after our first cruise on her was pretty much a complete letdown. We also sailed Allure a year after our first on Oasis, and both of those first cruises were all about the newness of the experience. But on our second Oasis cruise we were both sorely disappointed. Ship cleanliness was off, crew seemed to barely be there with few exceptions, MDR and other food was bland and/or overpriced for what we got, MDR service was some of the slowest I've ever seen... Just my experience, my opinion, but there it is. I don't even look at RCI as a cruise choice any more.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I have sworn... eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
(T. Jefferson)
- - -
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Conquest
Carnival Destiny
Carnival Dream (2x)
Carnival Legend
Carnival Magic
Carnival Triumph
Celebrity Eclipse
RC Allure Of the Seas
RC Oasis Of the Seas (2x)

Fort Lauderdale, FL
3,757 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by Moonarino
My last experience with RCI leads me to respectfully disagree. Cruising on ("larger") Oasis five years after our first cruise on her was pretty much a complete letdown. We also sailed Allure a year after our first on Oasis, and both of those first cruises were all about the newness of the experience. But on our second Oasis cruise we were both sorely disappointed. Ship cleanliness was off, crew seemed to barely be there with few exceptions, MDR and other food was bland and/or overpriced for what we got, MDR service was some of the slowest I've ever seen... Just my experience, my opinion, but there it is. I don't even look at RCI as a cruise choice any more.
These are mass market lines. Service changes like the wind from passenger to passenger. The food is about the same as is cleanliness. They all operate almost identically in these regards. You like to save money, it's OK, just admit that's the reason.
622 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
Originally posted by Moonarino My last experience with RCI leads me to respectfully disagree. Cruising on ("larger") Oasis five years after our first cruise on her was pretty much a complete letdown. We also sailed Allure a year after our first on Oasis, and both of those first cruises were all about the newness of the experience. But on our second Oasis cruise we were both sorely disappointed. Ship cleanliness was off, crew seemed to barely be there with few exceptions, MDR and other food was bland and/or overpriced for what we got, MDR service was some of the slowest I've ever seen... Just my experience, my opinion, but there it is. I don't even look at RCI as a cruise choice any more.
These are mass market lines. Service changes like the wind from passenger to passenger. The food is about the same as is cleanliness. They all operate almost identically in these regards. You like to save money, it's OK, just admit that's the reason.
I reread that statement a few times and don't see where you're coming from that it has anything to do with saving money. Where's that coming from?
Fort Lauderdale, FL
3,757 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by Moonarino My last experience with RCI leads me to respectfully disagree. Cruising on ("larger") Oasis five years after our first cruise on her was pretty much a complete letdown. We also sailed Allure a year after our first on Oasis, and both of those first cruises were all about the newness of the experience. But on our second Oasis cruise we were both sorely disappointed. Ship cleanliness was off, crew seemed to barely be there with few exceptions, MDR and other food was bland and/or overpriced for what we got, MDR service was some of the slowest I've ever seen... Just my experience, my opinion, but there it is. I don't even look at RCI as a cruise choice any more.

I reread that statement a few times and don't see where you're coming from that it has anything to do with saving money. Where's that coming from?
Because you didn't read the entire thread.
All over the world
2,826 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
The experience isn't comparable to the larger Royal ships.
I agree. The experience, for what I cruise for, if far exceeded by Carnival and RCCL's ships don't compare.
Fort Lauderdale, FL
3,757 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by Computer Nerd
I would have to see it to believe it.
Sure. I just so happened to snap pics of the prices as I was discussing it with another CC'er. It was for the same date, same amount of days, and both ocean view balcony.

I enjoyed Glory a lot in 2016. I'm not saying Carnival is bad. I merely pointed out that they are generally a cheaper option and when you can save $500 - $1000... I totally get it. Carnival puts out a great product. But it's kind of ridiculous to act like Carnival can offer the same or better quality experience you can get on a ship like Allure. And for the same price, it's a no brainer to sail Allure. These are mass market cruise lines with similar food and service. The ships make the difference. And if you follow this thread, lots and lots of comments about Carnivals low prices being a major factor - that's not my words. And when they were much cheaper, I'd agree that for many, it's the difference.

Glory:

Allure: