Stupid Question, please do not flame me

az-cruiser

Do you mean like calling people "so nasty"?:rolleyes:

If you can express your opinion (even if it isn't "nice"), so can others.

Well if the “nasty” shoe fits, they should wear it! Calling people “fools” or saying they look “ridiculous” or like “Street people” qualifies as nasty in my book! Some opinions (especially hurtful ones) should be kept to oneself! Have a great (and hopefully warm!) day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well if the “nasty” shoe fits, they should wear it! Calling people “fools” or saying they look “ridiculous” or like “Street people” qualifies as nasty in my book!

That is your OPINION and you are free to express it.

Others who view something as "ridiculous" are also expressing their OPINION.

It's hypocritical to call people nasty and also state that "if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all”.

Some opinions (especially hurtful ones) should be kept to oneself!

If you actually feel that way, you should apply the same line of thinking to yourself. You calling people "nasty" isn't nice even if it is truly your opinion.

If you want others to keep their opinion to themself when it isn't nice, you should keep your opinion to yourself when it isn't nice.

If you want to express your opinion when it isn't nice (you can), others should also express their opinion when it isn't nice (they can).

Wow! People are so nasty! Why is it necessary to be insulting and call people names? Didn’t your mother teach you “if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all”?

It's certainly possible to say I don't like XYZ clothing and leave it at that, I suppose. :)

As free as people are to say hurtful nasty things I am also free to not like it and have an opinion about it....especially if it is directed at me.

Of course, you can have that opinion. You are also free to express that opinion.

The problem is when someone states that "if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all" immediately after posting a comment that insults people.

On NCL, does a staff member actually stand by the,doors, checking everyone for dress code violations? It does seem like a waste of time. Hmm.

Actually, Yes. My friend was sent back to his cabin to change from shorts to long pants. This was a few years ago in the main MDR. They may be more lenient now.

Of course, you can have that opinion. You are also free to express that opinion.

The problem is when someone states that "if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all" immediately after posting a comment that insults people.

Ok, so perhaps I should’ve said “some of these comments are so nasty”. And now, I’m out. Good night all!

Ok, so perhaps I should’ve said “some of these comments are so nasty”. And now, I’m out. Good night all!

I saw extremely tacky evening dresses with Taylor Swift style cut outs in very cheap looking poly satin that in my view were a lot tackier than the ripped jean look. Fabric, cut, fit and how you wear it has a lot to do with in my view makes people look and feel good.

My son went to Bayamo at 6pm at age 12 in Lacoste dress shorts (knee length) and a collared button down with boat shoes and dressy socks. He was far better dressed than some of the Ross evening wear 4 sizes too small I witnessed throughout the cruise. To each their own but point is that elegance is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

Anyway, I'm a believer than when you agree to set sail with 4k passengers, you kind of need to respect the ambience other people expect. For some people, spending $2k on a vaca is very special and they want to count on the ambience they expected would be honored.

That said - I don't think lunch is anything to dress up for on Norwegian ships.

I saw extremely tacky evening dresses with Taylor Swift style cut outs in very cheap looking poly satin that in my view were a lot tackier than the ripped jean look. Fabric, cut, fit and how you wear it has a lot to do with in my view makes people look and feel good.

My son went to Bayamo at 6pm at age 12 in Lacoste dress shorts (knee length) and a collared button down with boat shoes and dressy socks. He was far better dressed than some of the Ross evening wear 4 sizes too small I witnessed throughout the cruise. To each their own but point is that elegance is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

Anyway, I'm a believer than when you agree to set sail with 4k passengers, you kind of need to respect the ambience other people expect. For some people, spending $2k on a vaca is very special and they want to count on the ambience they expected would be honored.

That said - I don't think lunch is anything to dress up for on Norwegian ships.

You seem conflicted as to what is appropriate. Maybe I'm reading you wrong?

There are holes in the knees that look like this and like this. The smaller and singular hole in the knee pants may get in with a nice blouse/shirt accessorized with jewelry. The other pair...it depends I guess!

I asked for pictures (for informative purposes..;)) waaaaaaaayyy back in post #2 but the OP never gave an example of what she wants to wear.

It's ultimately up to whomever is working the restaurant on a given night but I suspect that the top pants would be allowed but the bottom 2 would/should not be.

I saw extremely tacky evening dresses with Taylor Swift style cut outs...

I wasn't aware that Taylor Swift had a style.

He was far better dressed than some of the Ross evening wear 4 sizes too small I witnessed throughout the cruise.

Is that a shot at Ross or at "plus-sized" women? :')

The expectation may not mesh with what NCL allows. Some ships allow shorts in ALL MDRs (for example) and some people get upset when they see shorts in the more "formal" MDR but if NCL allows it, there's no reason to be upset even if the "expectation" is that shorts shouldn't be worn in that MDR.

Yes - Taylor Swift made crop tops and dresses with cut outs very popular circa 2015 and 2016. She is tall, thin, and young and able to afford that look with taste.

No - not a dig at plus size. Ross sells awful fabrics - I’m personally a believer in less wardrobe, avoid trend and look more at quality and fit. But to each their own.

Yes - dress on ships seems always to be polarizing and I suppose I do come across as conflicted. I don’t think it’s black and white - and I don’t think distressed jeans at lunch really matters just like dress shorts for a 12 year old at 6pm worked because of how he wore them - he got compliments from cruisers for looking so nicely pulled together and age apppropriate.

Are men and women treated equally when it comes to clothing? Are the standards the same?

If you are asking if the wording on the dress codes for both is identical - the answer is no. Women can certainly look nice in a sleeveless blouse but you would be hard pressed to find a sleeveless men’s shirt that looked nice. While I’m in the boat that dislikes ripped jeans. I do think a female in ripped jeans that fit well is much more likely to get in than a male in ripped jeans.

At the end of the day, if you walk in looking nice with clothing that is clean and fits well, I think you will get in. If you walk in with baggy ripped jeans and a stained t shirt I think you will be asked to change.

If there are 4000 people on the ship it would be totally insane to think that 4000 people's idea of restaurant ambiance is the same in order to please ALL people. @@ There are actually very straightforward but freestyle relaxed rules to follow and if you know what they are then you know what ambiance to expect. If you want formal...then either pick another cruise line or create your own formal ambiance at your own table and wear your formal attire. No one will notice or care.