[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:47 AM.
Point Richmond CA
5,762 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by wripro
Not the mention if you want a similar amount of space in your cabin on Oceania as you get on Regent you have to book at least a penthouse, thereby bringing the cost up to the same on both lines, if not more on O.

As a sloop sailor, I am always amazed at how folks would find the smallest cruise ship cabin "too small."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Washington State
23,655 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by wripro
Not the mention if you want a similar amount of space in your cabin on Oceania as you get on Regent you have to book at least a penthouse, thereby bringing the cost up to the same on both lines, if not more on O.
Good point and very true. For luxury cruisers, being in a small cabin doesn't work for most people (as evidenced by the few small suites on Regent's Explorer that Regent regulars tend to avoid). OTOH, if you are moving up to Oceania from a mainstream cruise line with truly small cabins, the Oceania staterooms are just fine. The PH suites on Oceania's newest ships are fine (we stayed in one) but the PH suites on the other ships are minimal and not something we would book.
10 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Hi,
Well I was the one who started this thread. We have done NCL Haven on the larger ships and like it. The problem is the lack of choices of where theses big ships go.
So we have our first Oceania cruise booked for next year. We are sailing on the Rivera in an Oceania Suite.
I find their website a bit confusing and am new to this board also.
So Flatbus Flyer you sound very knowledgeable regarding Oceania.
Is there a way I can message you thru the board here and ask a few questions if you don’t mind?
If this is frowned upon on the board I do apologize like I said New here

quote=Flatbush Flyer;54691646]Firstly, all that one needs to know as regards "luxury" is that Oceania is a world apart from mass market lines. In particular, if you compare "premium" Oceania to its sister "luxury" line Regent, you'll find the only major difference in the inclusiveness of particular items. Regent includes things like booze and basic excursions while Oceania includes a choice of one of several "no extra charge" items.

Often, if you add all Oceania options that would be included on Regent (I.e., comparing apples to apples), you may find that Oceania's price is a true value at hundreds to thousands less than Regent for basically the same product.

Do a mock booking on O website and you'll see the specific "O Life" perks for that particular cruise (extent of perks depends on itinerary.

Currently, O Life includes unlimited internet (one account per cabin), economy airfare (or air credit) and a choice of X $ OBC or X # of excursions or basic alcohol (wine/beer at meals) per cabin. The basic alcohol option choice can be upgraded to unlimited booze for $20/person/day (which includes the tip). As always, all other beverages, specialty restaurants, etc are included at no extra charge.

For example, our next cruise is Sydney to L.A. in May 2018. We opted for $2000/cabin in O Life OBC and the air credit of approx $1000/person. TA is adding $1000 in refundable added OBC and gratuities at about $1350 over 38 days. Given that we prefer a mix of ship/private excursions and not drinking daily on a long cruise, the OBC perk from O made the most sense for this cruise.

Always worth mentioning is the other value of what you don't get on Oceania: no photogs, art shows, chair hogs, obnoxious smokers, canned music, mediocre food, the list goes on ....

Though basically Oceania loyalists, we always compare a proposed itinerary with all cruise line segments. We have yet to find any comparison of "net daily rate" in light of quality value (particularly the food) that would make Oceania a bad choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote]
Washington State
23,655 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Just want to respond to a couple of comments. First, Oceania is not like their sister company Regent in ways that matter the most. For instance, you really cannot just add in some of the included items on Regent and compare it to Oceania. An example would be the fact that Oceania has included coach air while Regent has included international business class air (an inclusion that costs up to $8K per person - depending upon the destination). However, Oceania is a fine product. I also find their website and promotions confusing. IMO, the posters need to explain what 'O" ships and "R" ships are and an explanation of "O-Life" in clear English would be nice.

Second, Oceania is not a luxury cruise line (as per the CEO of the parent company - the man that started Oceania) - it is a premium plus or luxury lite cruise line. Their competition is Azamara and Viking Ocean.

I think that you may get a better response on the Oceania board.

Note: We have sailed Oceania's Riviera twice - it is a lovely ship!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

"Sometimes all you have to do is shift your perspective to see someone else's truth" (Dan Brown - Origin)
Total nights: Regent = 400 (Titanium) / Silversea = 36 / Oceania = 26 (Upcoming 79 nights: 3 Explorer, 2 Voyager)

Sailings per ship: Explorer (4), Voyager (11), Mariner (11), Navigator (3), PG (1), Silver Spirit (1), Silver Whisper (1), Silver Shadow (1), Oceania Riviera (2)

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (3 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Barcelona - Miami / Cape Town – Rio (2 sailings) / Cape Town - Cape Town / E. & W. Caribbean (4 sailings) / CHRISTENING CRUISE - Explorer - Monte Carlo-Monte Carlo / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Istanbul / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona 2 sailings) / Miami-Miami (Amazon) / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Rome to Lisbon / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo
Point Richmond CA
5,762 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Travelcat2
Just want to respond to a couple of comments. First, Oceania is not like their sister company Regent in ways that matter the most. For instance, you really cannot just add in some of the included items on Regent and compare it to Oceania. An example would be the fact that Oceania has included coach air while Regent has included international business class air (an inclusion that costs up to $8K per person - depending upon the destination). However, Oceania is a fine product. I also find their website and promotions confusing. IMO, the posters need to explain what 'O" ships and "R" ships are and an explanation of "O-Life" in clear English would be nice.

Second, Oceania is not a luxury cruise line (as per the CEO of the parent company - the man that started Oceania) - it is a premium plus or luxury lite cruise line. Their competition is Azamara and Viking Ocean.

I think that you may get a better response on the Oceania board.

Note: We have sailed Oceania's Riviera twice - it is a lovely ship!

As far as explaining "O Life" et al., just using the "search" function on CC works great.

Point Richmond CA
5,762 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Salf777
Hi,

Well I was the one who started this thread. We have done NCL Haven on the larger ships and like it. The problem is the lack of choices of where theses big ships go.

So we have our first Oceania cruise booked for next year. We are sailing on the Rivera in an Oceania Suite.

I find their website a bit confusing and am new to this board also.

So Flatbus Flyer you sound very knowledgeable regarding Oceania.

Is there a way I can message you thru the board here and ask a few questions if you don’t mind?

If this is frowned upon on the board I do apologize like I said New here

quote=Flatbush Flyer;54691646]Firstly, all that one needs to know as regards "luxury" is that Oceania is a world apart from mass market lines. In particular, if you compare "premium" Oceania to its sister "luxury" line Regent, you'll find the only major difference in the inclusiveness of particular items. Regent includes things like booze and basic excursions while Oceania includes a choice of one of several "no extra charge" items.

Often, if you add all Oceania options that would be included on Regent (I.e., comparing apples to apples), you may find that Oceania's price is a true value at hundreds to thousands less than Regent for basically the same product.

Do a mock booking on O website and you'll see the specific "O Life" perks for that particular cruise (extent of perks depends on itinerary.

Currently, O Life includes unlimited internet (one account per cabin), economy airfare (or air credit) and a choice of X $ OBC or X # of excursions or basic alcohol (wine/beer at meals) per cabin. The basic alcohol option choice can be upgraded to unlimited booze for $20/person/day (which includes the tip). As always, all other beverages, specialty restaurants, etc are included at no extra charge.

For example, our next cruise is Sydney to L.A. in May 2018. We opted for $2000/cabin in O Life OBC and the air credit of approx $1000/person. TA is adding $1000 in refundable added OBC and gratuities at about $1350 over 38 days. Given that we prefer a mix of ship/private excursions and not drinking daily on a long cruise, the OBC perk from O made the most sense for this cruise.

Always worth mentioning is the other value of what you don't get on Oceania: no photogs, art shows, chair hogs, obnoxious smokers, canned music, mediocre food, the list goes on ....

Though basically Oceania loyalists, we always compare a proposed itinerary with all cruise line segments. We have yet to find any comparison of "net daily rate" in light of quality value (particularly the food) that would make Oceania a bad choice.

[/quote]

There's no "private message" function (at least in the app, which is what I use). So, you'd have to provide an email address (use "dot" instead of ".")

Burbank, CA
16 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Curious about Seabourn and why it wasn't mentioned much in this thread. Would it be a Luxury line or premium? We're considering sailing Seabourn next as we've already sailed with Crystal and Regent and loved them both, but I just love variety and especially being on a fabulous ship, so want to try them all before settling down with one line. Regarding Seabourn, it's something about the small size of their ships that seem appealing. If Itinerary was not a factor, what would your next move be after Regent and Crystal? Would love any opinions and feedback from experiences. Thanks!