Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

They placed the garden-mulch-filled box in the usual forward starboard crew area. Box was a little small, definitely not 4’ square, but she managed to fit diagonally! The next day, it was impossible to get to it since All the starboard side doors to the deck were locked or couldn’t open against the wind. A nice crew member came along, helped us get to the box, and suggested he could move the mix to the port side. That location worked out fine.

I had a long chat with someone at Celebrity corporate regarding the inaccessibility of the relief box (on our last cruise it was also deck 5 Starboard - which was inaccessible all day because it was blocked off for embarkation). I have had good luck with getting the relief box moved after speaking to the hotel director after we have boarded the ship. I asked if it was possible to get the location settled before boarding (so that I didn't have to spend most of the first day dealing with the issue) and the best he could come up with is that he would put it on his calendar to e-mail the hotel director to let him know that I wanted to meet with him once we boarded.

Dianne

I'm probably leaving Scooter with son in Feb, but not positive. We are on the way to the airport and fly to San Diego right now. We'll see how he flies this time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Good luck with you flight.

On the "S" class ships - as you are facing the theatre, go out the automatic doors to the right and then the box will be located to your left forward in the crew area.

Dianne

Again, if you have a cabin with a veranda convince them to place the box on it. Although, I have to tell you guys, my daughter was not crazy about having the box on the veranda......she said she thought that it took away from the "veranda experience" and, we had an extended balcony. She really wouldn't have liked it on a "regular" balcony. I don't mind it at all and quite frankly prefer it to be there than anywhere else. it's so convenient to open the door, let Horton step out and go potty. Either there or a stairwell, on my deck.

I prefer the balcony too Roz. So much more convenient, especially first thing in the morning. If they would not let me have the box on the balcony, then I would probably start parading around the ship in my jammies!!

Dianne

They placed the garden-mulch-filled box in the usual forward starboard crew area. Box was a little small, definitely not 4’ square, but she managed to fit diagonally! The next day, it was impossible to get to it since All the starboard side doors to the deck were locked or couldn’t open against the wind. A nice crew member came along, helped us get to the box, and suggested he could move the mix to the port side. That location worked out fine.

We have had Celebrity block the doors with a "closed due to high winds" ribbon, but they have never locked it. We just always went under the ribbon or took it down and had a crew member or some strong fellas open the door for my friend and her seeing eye dog. (The wind made it hard to open.) Once the deck was blocked due to embarkation and again we got a crew member to let us through.

One time they had a box way to small for the 75 pound Labrador. It was the size for a 25 pound dog! I told the crew member the urine would go on the floor, and the crew continued to insist it was fine. At that moment, Gary, the dog, lifted his leg on the box, and though his aim was fine, it went on the floor. Immediately the staff sent someone ashore to Home Depot to buy more wood to build a bigger box before we set sail. Celebrity has always been good to work with, once you find the right crew member.

We have had Celebrity block the doors with a "closed due to high winds" ribbon, but they have never locked it. We just always went under the ribbon or took it down and had a crew member or some strong fellas open the door for my friend and her seeing eye dog. (The wind made it hard to open.) Once the deck was blocked due to embarkation and again we got a crew member to let us through.

One time they had a box way to small for the 75 pound Labrador. It was the size for a 25 pound dog! I told the crew member the urine would go on the floor, and the crew continued to insist it was fine. At that moment, Gary, the dog, lifted his leg on the box, and though his aim was fine, it went on the floor. Immediately the staff sent someone ashore to Home Depot to buy more wood to build a bigger box before we set sail. Celebrity has always been good to work with, once you find the right crew member.

Every ship has a wood-working dept. This is where they repair furniture, cabinets, drawers, etc. Sometimes they go through such nonsense to perform the simplest of tasks!

I prefer the balcony too Roz. So much more convenient, especially first thing in the morning. If they would not let me have the box on the balcony, then I would probably start parading around the ship in my jammies!!

Dianne

Dianne, on one cruise I looked like "Sasquatch", early in the morning; with rollers in my hair, p.j.'s, slippers and no bra. I had to take an elevator to another deck where the box was placed. The poor folks who had to run into me at 7:00am. We had a Suite, with a huge veranda and you know I insisted that the box be moved there once I was introduced to the Hotel Manager. Again, they try to tell me about the health laws that prevent them from doing this.......THERE IS NO SUCH LAW! Always insist and they will listen!

Dianne, on one cruise I looked like "Sasquatch", early in the morning; with rollers in my hair, p.j.'s, slippers and no bra. I had to take an elevator to another deck where the box was placed. The poor folks who had to run into me at 7:00am. We had a Suite, with a huge veranda and you know I insisted that the box be moved there once I was introduced to the Hotel Manager. Again, they try to tell me about the health laws that prevent them from doing this.......THERE IS NO SUCH LAW! Always insist and they will listen!

That gave me a good laugh Roz - I can just picture you! All we need to add is a green mud mask and maybe we can scare the other passengers enough to get them to move the box without a hassle.

I have always insisted that the box be placed on my balcony because I need to be able to access it myself in a wheelchair. I would not be okay with having to hunt down a crew member to open the door for me. Try explaining to a dog that she can't go outside to do use the box because the doors are locked and the deck is closed.

Dianne

Hi, Cindy. We took the standard APHIS form and also the form my vet copied & pasted onto his letterhead, then filled out and signed, per Mexico’s instructions (required text shown on the APHIS site now as Option B.) I did not need to have either of those endorsed by the state APHIS office.

I had to take the dog down before the ship cleared in Cozumel to have her inspected by a nice woman, one of the Mexico officials. She looked at the papers, looked in Raylene’s ears and examined her two front paws. She gave me a copy of the ship’s clearance document (stating one dog) to carry ashore in case I needed it.

Thanks so much for the info! We have sent our vet the webpage and will figure it out when we see her.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Hi All, we’re back from a short Celebrity cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. We picked a great week to be gone since it was so cold even in Florida. All went well, except for weather. The ship skipped Key West and it poured rain after we got off in Cozumel. (We didn’t do the paperwork for Cayman on purpose, and we’ve been there several times, so stayed on board. The ship had to anchor away from Georgetown to tender as often happens due to high waves at the port there.)

Enjoyed being back on Celebrity Reflection and saw some crew we met previously. It’s my favorite of their ships. We even booked the same cabin from two years ago.

I didn’t care about the bad weather since we like being on board and just enjoying relaxing on the ship. And it wasn’t really BAD, cold weather. But I was sorry for other people who wanted more sunshine and hot weather.

Is Celebrity the one that puts the box down a wind tunnel? I remember going down this metal hallway to a crew area. Johns wheelchair barely fit. And the wind was unbelievable.

They told us that on our last cruise and the hotel director said that there was no such law. I hate that those women lied to us. They actually had a Tupperware size plastic box like you would put leftovers in it for a 70lb dog. Anyway they did accommodate us and put it on our huge balcony. Now if we can get that and the grass it will be perfect.

On the "S" class ships - as you are facing the theatre, go out the automatic doors to the right and then the box will be located to your left forward in the crew area.

Dianne

Exactly. Barb, as Dianne says, it is an area (with a rope “crew only” sign you have to take down or step over) usually on Deck 5 for Solstice Class, forward on starboard Side. Sometimes the ship has smokers using the deck leading toward that area, designated with deck chairs and standing ashtrays, other times smokers are on port side.

Isn't it funny how inconsistent they are? Mexico was the one place that did not want to inspect Henri - Guatemala and Costa Rica inspected her and Columbia wanted a fee to inspect her if we were taking her off the ship.

Dianne

It is crazy! We had the same scenario in the past (except Colombia was not on the itinerary).

Is Celebrity the one that puts the box down a wind tunnel? I remember going down this metal hallway to a crew area. Johns wheelchair barely fit. And the wind was unbelievable.

Yep, that’s the place! On the Solstice class ships. Once they filled the box with sawdust and shavings that blew all over that corridor. My room steward finally arranged for mulch to be obtained halfway through.

That gave me a good laugh Roz - I can just picture you! All we need to add is a green mud mask and maybe we can scare the other passengers enough to get them to move the box without a hassle.

I have always insisted that the box be placed on my balcony because I need to be able to access it myself in a wheelchair. I would not be okay with having to hunt down a crew member to open the door for me. Try explaining to a dog that she can't go outside to do use the box because the doors are locked and the deck is closed.

Dianne

I would absolutely fight for the balcony if I were in a wheelchair! The other location has been difficult at best even without mobility issues - every single time.

Exactly. Barb, as Dianne says, it is an area (with a rope “crew only” sign you have to take down or step over) usually on Deck 5 for Solstice Class, forward on starboard Side. Sometimes the ship has smokers using the deck leading toward that area, designated with deck chairs and standing ashtrays, other times smokers are on port side.
Geez. Most if the time on cruises I've been on, the port side is the smoking side. The starboard side has the Cafe Al Bacio, one of my favorite spots. I cannot imagine choosing there to put the dogs box, since they often mark it off as unsafe to go out there!

I'm still working on getting a box put together at home. We have an awesome spot of grass just off the driveway he goes on quite frequently.

Our next few cruises are all on Silhouette, and we have Alcoves reserved for a number of days. So the idea of taking Scooter scares me. The grass would be right there and he would assume it was for him!

I'm taking my first cruise with Lox in May with Carnival. I've gotten everything taken care of with Carnival and have the appointments for the health cert and endorsement scheduled. Both my ports are in Mexico. Carnival said lox should be able to go on most excursions with me. What should I expect if I try to go into a restaurant or store at port? Any issues I should be prepared for on board? Advise? Does Mexico have any laws on service dogs? Lox's vest is made out of my old uniforms. Should I invest in a red vest?

Sorry I haven't been around much but I was off between Christmas & New Years. Then went back to work and the whole family came down with colds and a cough. We still alll have it. I know I don't really have to say this but Roz, I hope your not going to let you company get away with breaking ADA law!! Keep us posted.

0acc1f9caf6b8be1bee57e52b53ad74c.jpg

This is part of our balcony. Last year was the first time we got to have the box out there. How wonderful not to get up, shower, get dressed and take him to the box. Im spoiled now!

ab981404cfce176bfa12544ed0e56e64.jpg

The picture of John reminds me of a picture I took of Morey, while he was in a wheelchair onboard the Oosterdam and looking out at the sea.......he truly loved the magic of those sparkling, blue waters. And, the box is absolute perfection!!!!

I'm taking my first cruise with Lox in May with Carnival. I've gotten everything taken care of with Carnival and have the appointments for the health cert and endorsement scheduled. Both my ports are in Mexico. Carnival said lox should be able to go on most excursions with me. What should I expect if I try to go into a restaurant or store at port? Any issues I should be prepared for on board? Advise? Does Mexico have any laws on service dogs? Lox's vest is made out of my old uniforms. Should I invest in a red vest?
Mexico shouldn't be an issue, although some times the red does help.

If you do some of the islands, they have no camo rules. Our ship wouldn't allow a passenger off a couple of years ago because the 3 year old was wearing pink camo shorts. There is a steep fine in some places and no camo of any kind is allowed.

The vest is not the most important factor. Don't worry about it. There are no laws that insist that our SD's wear a vest. CCI provides one for us and they're always good for the public to see when we're boarding the ship. They also have zippered pouches on both sides to carry potty bags, sail cards and other I.D. Again, they're not necessary.

I love your dogs name. "Lox".

The shops in Mexico are notoriously small and crowded. Be prepared to move Lox around quickly to avoid being stepped on. And, look out for strays, both in the streets and on the beaches. Most of the shop keepers want your money so badly, they won't fuss with your dog. Make sure he's on his best behavior and again keep an eye out for merchandise being spilt and strays being curious.

Mexico is DEMANDING that our SD's be on Heartguard and flea and tick abatement. This must be spelled out clearly on the Aphis 7001 form [no initials or abbreviations on the form.] Recent immunizations are expected and your dog's ear and skin to be in good health. He will be inspected by their Agricultural Dept. before you can leave the ship. The Purser's Desk will call your stateroom the day before to ask if your planning on taking Lox ashore and they will set up an inspection time for you.

Have a wonderful cruise and be prepared for lots of questions from your fellow passengers and folks who will want to pat Lox.

Sorry I haven't been around much but I was off between Christmas & New Years. Then went back to work and the whole family came down with colds and a cough. We still alll have it. I know I don't really have to say this but Roz, I hope your not going to let you company get away with breaking ADA law!! Keep us posted.

They just plugged in a room purifier outside of my office. The fresher air is good for Horton! :p And, although they've made Horton's space bigger it's still a bit congested when he doesn't lay in his crate or bed and decides to sprawl-out in the middle of the floor.

I'm very reluctant to take him into the bathroom with me and I don't take him in the staff kitchen. I have yet to explore the staff lounge which has recliners, sofa's, t.v.s, coffee, tea, candy, donuts, etc., etc. I could care less about their offerings but I do know that he has as much right as any other employee to go into these areas. I just don't need to push, not just yet!

I'm learning a whole new computer program [not being paid more], working for all the exec's and performing tasks I've never done before......again, did I mention; [NOT BEING PAID MORE!!!!] I had a talk with Horty about maybe staying home and enjoying the rest of our lives together......not worrying about other folks who really don't like us that much, anyway. We'll see, maybe it's time to get that hernia repaired and take some medical leave.....we'll see!

One thing is for sure, if I stay on the job.......Horty and I will be seen [slowly, but surely] in all the areas mentioned above! ;p

Have a wonderful, warm and dry weekend everyone ♥ It's a long weekend for a lot us.......enjoy!