Captain just announced man overboard on QE

ah030

Now another announcement. All crew was asked to report to emergency stations "for exercise" purposes only, due to a "simulated" emergency: a fire in the crew galley on deck A, zone four. This announcement was made first outside the staterooms, and then inside the staterooms themselves following the emergency tone. Seems like a strange time to do simulated emergency exercises.

Now another announcement. All crew was asked to report to emergency stations "for exercise" purposes only, due to a "simulated" emergency: a fire in the crew galley on deck A, zone four. This announcement was made first outside the staterooms, and then inside the staterooms themselves following the emergency tone. Seems like a strange time to do simulated emergency exercises.

Could we hope for the 'man overboard' is a simulated exercise as well? I sincerely hope so. It is SO difficult to find a person in the sea.

emergencies at sea can happen at any time as do drills

I would not expect a drill to commence during an actual emergency. If they're announcing a drill (particularly into staterooms) I would conclude that the emergency wasn't actual.

I would tend to agree with you. If the announcement of MOB was for real, normal protocol would be for the ship to turn around and return to the spot that it occurred to initiate a search.

At this point I think we are about 600 miles off Bermuda. Sea is fairly calm.

can you confirm if the ship did one or more of these actions, do a Williamson turn( steer reverse course on recipical bearing, slow down, launch FRB, carry out a search pattern from search datum position (where person went OB) such as creeping line ahead, expanding square, ask passengers to go to upper deck as extra eyes. If casualty was seen immediately only some of these actions would have been required.

Can you advise asap of the outcome whether this was a drill or for real.

Ignore the OP's post ! :mad: This was drill, it was announced well in advance .

Thanks Bell Boy. I was just about to report the best I can tell from the somewhat sporadic positioning information available on marinetraffic is that it appears QE has been making a steady westerly course at about 18-19 knots since that initial report about 9 hours ago. Glad to hear all is well with regard to that MOB situation.

Regards, John