Caribbean Princess Getting New Televisions.

Kenswing

Woke up this morning and there are two new 43" televisions outside every stateroom on Dolphin deck.

Not sure how they're going to fit 43" TV's in the current cubby but I'm sure I'll find out this afternoon when we return from Princess Cays.

Woke up this morning and there are two new 43" televisions outside every stateroom on Dolphin deck.

Not sure how they're going to fit 43" TV's in the current cubby but I'm sure I'll find out this afternoon when we return from Princess Cays.

Don't get too excited over new TV's. When I was last on the Caribbean Princess I was able to connect my Nikon camera to one of the HDMI ports on the TV.

Recently on both the Regal and the Royal with new LG TV's you no longer have access to HDMI ports, the remotes are much smaller and do not allow you to change HDMI ports on the TV with their new custom software.

39654198692_d93c6f5db9_z.jpg

Hard to even get a hand in behind the TV

25813204508_1062c558ab_z.jpg

The new remote

39685229351_bdd79b671b_z.jpg

Howard

I thought the new TV on the Regal was good. Excellent picture quality, easy menu system and good content. Didn’t try connecting our own devices though.

Look forward to seeing if those on the Caribbean Princess are the same when we board on 18 March. Thanks for the heads up.

Don't get too excited over new TV's

Sorry, but I am going to get excited about the new tv. While I understand you would like to access the ports on the tv, I have no need to. The new tv system on the Royal Class ships is superior in every way to the older system. Being able to watch any movie when you want and start at the point where you left off is fantastic.

We were on the Island Princess in Dec after dry dock and they had just put the new 43" TVs in. They had removed the shelf over the refrigerator and mounted the TV to the wall on brackets at an angle. The TV now covers about half of the drape on that side of the slider. Nice picture for those that like to watch from bed.

It is almost impossible to watch from a chair because the screen is so large and up high. ...Even though we do not cruise to watch TV for us on cruises over 10 days we will not book a balcony, just a mini-suite, on the ships that have the TV mounted that way just for that reason.

No new system to watch movies when you want and the guide they had to tell you when a movie was going to start did not work 3/4 of the time. No printed schedule any more.

I don’t know if the TVs are still the same, but we sailed on the Royal in 2013 and 2015. I was able to access the TVs by unplugging the ships connector to HDMI Input 1 and plugging my own device.

I did the same also. Sometimes it's easy to reach their input, sometimes not.

On out last trip the TV could be swiveled away from the wall at the bottom & it made it much easier... although I still didn't use it for my own movies since they had a decent collection I hadn't seen before.

Sorry, but I am going to get excited about the new tv. While I understand you would like to access the ports on the tv, I have no need to. The new tv system on the Royal Class ships is superior in every way to the older system. Being able to watch any movie when you want and start at the point where you left off is fantastic.

The OP just said new TVs. They didn't say a new system.

Any update?

You would have thought they could provide just 1 external HDMI port on the front so people could use the set for their own material.:(

it is because of the ship safety system. If there is an extreme emergency on board, the ship can broadcast an emergency alert/message on the TV and other things

it is similar to the Emergency Alert System on land, that is why you sometimes see some test messages on your home TV

Don't get too excited over new TV's. When I was last on the Caribbean Princess I was able to connect my Nikon camera to one of the HDMI ports on the TV.

Recently on both the Regal and the Royal with new LG TV's you no longer have access to HDMI ports, the remotes are much smaller and do not allow you to change HDMI ports on the TV with their new custom software.

Howard

Do you think if you were able to get a hand behind and connect an HDMI cable, a universal remote might allow you to change inputs?

I don’t know if the TVs are still the same, but we sailed on the Royal in 2013 and 2015. I was able to access the TVs by unplugging the ships connector to HDMI Input 1 and plugging my own device.

Did you use a universal remote o change the inputs?

Bob

it is because of the ship safety system. If there is an extreme emergency on board, the ship can broadcast an emergency alert/message on the TV and other things

it is similar to the Emergency Alert System on land, that is why you sometimes see some test messages on your home TV

Sounds logical.

I didn't know that but I did notice a new WiFi signal on the Royal recently.

One of the crew members had somehow obtained a password & connected his own equipment to his cabin TV.

They somehow knew it had been compromised & made him remove his player.

Their HDMI connection to the TV comes from a unit behind the TV fed by a coax cable. In the past I've removed their HDMI cable to the TV & used it for my own but It makes me wonder if they would now know that their HDMI feed has been replaced?

... It makes me wonder if they would now know that their HDMI feed has been replaced?

HDMI is a two-way data transfer interface. Devices can "know" if their HDMI port is connected to another device and much more like what kind of device is on the other end and there's even control capability in both directions.

HDMI is a two-way data transfer interface. Devices can "know" if their HDMI port is connected to another device and much more like what kind of device is on the other end and there's even control capability in both directions.

Again, I didn't realize that.

I guess the times I've disconnected it they just didn't take notice or just didn't care. :evilsmile:

Do you think if you were able to get a hand behind and connect an HDMI cable, a universal remote might allow you to change inputs?

Bob

I didn't change any inputs. I just connected my iPad to the same input the ship uses.

I was recently in a mini-suite on royal. two tvs. two remotes.

Both tvs were viewsonic.

One remote was viewsonic, and one was princess.

Either remote was only able to do rudimentary functions.

Neither could select the input.

I presume princess has that disabled in the tv firmware.

In my opinion, pointless to bring a universal remote.

39676455052_55df9ff373_b.jpg

I thought the new TV on the Regal was good. Excellent picture quality, easy menu system and good content. Didn’t try connecting our own devices though.

Look forward to seeing if those on the Caribbean Princess are the same when we board on 18 March. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing them as well. Noticed you're on the same cruise but not sure if you joined our roll call. You should sign up for our rather large Meet and Greet and come join the fun.

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing them as well. Noticed you're on the same cruise but not sure if you joined our roll call. You should sign up for our rather large Meet and Greet and come join the fun.

Yes, Geoffa30, come on over and join the cruise Roll Call.

Link to Roll Call: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2357907&page=82

You can see our Roll Call List by clicking on the link in the signature section of my post.