Orient Bay Beach post-Irma

davidmbfonz

Hello - heading to St. Martin next month and wondering if anyone can elaborate on the condition or feasibility of going to Orient Bay Beach? That's been my dream to go there.

I'm assuming we can get there with a taxi (family of five) and that the beach itself is fine. Are there any restaurants or shops open along the beach?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Orient beach is ready for you. Taxis are easily available inside the port. 8 dollars pp if you are eight ppl or more. You can share with others who are going to same place. Perhaps assure they will come back to pick you up as it may not be busy enough there for taxis just to wait for people.

As of today There are at least two temporary bars selling food, booze , drinks , chairs and umbrellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Getting mixed signals between this board and Trip Advisor. While I understand it isn't what it once was, is it a decent beach to go to? Most interested in getting chairs and umbrellas and maybe a snack and/or drinks.

Yes about 200 lounge chairs available , most in the clothing optional area. Umbrellas , about 100 most on the clothing optional area,

Yes full hot menu and even mixed frozen drinks

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/72670-orient-beach-five-stars-restaurants-to-be-re-built

Is the debris of the broken beach bars disposed of? I heard that it will take about 3 more weeks.

Judging from several facebook groups and their updates, its still a work in progress, but looking better everyday.

Yes about 200 lounge chairs available , most in the clothing optional area. Umbrellas , about 100 most on the clothing optional area,

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/72670-orient-beach-five-stars-restaurants-to-be-re-built

Did you use a taxi to get there? As of last week many taxis in the port area were discouraging people from going to the French side. I've read many reports from Club Orient, and want to go to that beach again. Fortunately I have 100 days left, so things should improve. In my previous visits, it was easy to find someone to call you a cab back to the ship. I hope that is the case again.

Did you use a taxi to get there? As of last week many taxis in the port area were discouraging people from going to the French side. I've read many reports from Club Orient, and want to go to that beach again. Fortunately I have 100 days left, so things should improve. In my previous visits, it was easy to find someone to call you a cab back to the ship. I hope that is the case again.

I’ve got a taxi booked to go there next week with 10 other people. I know of cruise ship passengers who have gone recently. There are plenty of tourists on the island who go daily. Orient beach (sand and water) is still beautiful and at least two places are renting chairs , umbrellas , food and drink and toilets available. Looking inland you will still see destruction as of this date. So don’t go if that matters.

Tell the taxi driver to screw off if they discourage you! :-)

My husband and I were just to Orient beach on Jan. 12th. As was said above the sand and the water are the same as always. It is still a beautiful beach. Club Orient and one other bar have chairs, umbrellas and refreshments available.

We asked at the taxi stand about going to Orient and were told there was minimal amenities, but there was no problem taking us there, and arranging for a pickup later.

They need tourists to visit there to help get them back on their feet. We had a beautiful day there and would go again in a heartbeat.

Thank you for this information! Do you recall approx. how much the taxi was? Also, how did you arrange back?

My husband and I were just to Orient beach on Jan. 12th. As was said above the sand and the water are the same as always. It is still a beautiful beach. Club Orient and one other bar have chairs, umbrellas and refreshments available.

We asked at the taxi stand about going to Orient and were told there was minimal amenities, but there was no problem taking us there, and arranging for a pickup later.

They need tourists to visit there to help get them back on their feet. We had a beautiful day there and would go again in a heartbeat.

I've been reading about some feuding over this as Club Orient, which was obviously on the clothing optional side has put out chairs to attract cruise ship visitors and since the old class sign is down, some people are getting offended by nudity and there have been problems. I won't be there till May, hope it continues to get better.

I’ve got a taxi booked to go there next week with 10 other people. I know of cruise ship passengers who have gone recently. There are plenty of tourists on the island who go daily. Orient beach (sand and water) is still beautiful and at least two places are renting chairs , umbrellas , food and drink and toilets available. Looking inland you will still see destruction as of this date. So don’t go if that matters.

Tell the taxi driver to screw off if they discourage you! :-)

Thanks for your input.

Thank you for posting this update.

I've been reading about some feuding over this as Club Orient, which was obviously on the clothing optional side has put out chairs to attract cruise ship visitors and since the old class sign is down, some people are getting offended by nudity and there have been problems. I won't be there till May, hope it continues to get better.

How unfortunate. Hopefully the signage gets put back up soon. That’s a quick and easy thing to do. I’m hoping to go in August, and would prefer not to be in a contentious situation where people on the beach are upset with each other over a misunderstanding of the clothing optional side of the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OK, so total NOOBIE to SXM question - when you DO get in that taxi and ask them to take you to Orient Beach, what kind of a border crossing/checkpoint is involved? Do we need to bring our passports or other ID off the ship? Thanks!

The border is completely open, no crossing or checkpoint. The only way you know you crossed is you will drive past a sign marking the border. No passport is needed. As always, bring your ship card and a photo ID like your drivers license.

I'm also trying to keep an eye on recovery. We plan on visiting in September and it will be our first time there. Do the taxi drivers take USD? And does Orient Beach offer some good spots for snorkeling? We may bring our own equipment.

Yes to US dollars. Never snorkeled their but heard that for St Maarten off-beach snorkeling it's decent. I have not heard that any rentals are up and running yet but September is a long way away still.

We are planning on going to Orient Beach on the 27th. It is a little concerning that there are not a bunch of taxis waiting to take you back. You never know what can happen but that is the chances you take. The nude beach does not concern us and I personally think people should do their own research before going down and causing problems for them.