April Danube cruise...How much rain?

gladgirl

I agree, plan for all. I depends a bit on when you go in April. The end of the month hardly ever has snow. But I went early in April, it had snowed only a few days before and the hills where still covered in snow. Had lovely sunshine and around 12 degrees in Budapest. Had drizzle inbetween ports.

notamermaid

The April in central Europe is known for it's fickleness, there is even a German proverb regarding this. So it is very hard to predict the weather. It is totally possible, that there is rain all the time, or just one day and the next day is sunny, some years it even snows in April. So the best choice is to plan for everthing and to check the weather report shortly before your trip starts.

It depends on when you go in April... and where in Central Europe. We did Bucharest to Budapest at the end of April a few years ago - and hit a heat wave -- many days in excess of 30 degrees C. I watch the weather, and then take at least 1 item that will get me through both warmer or colder days....

Enjoy!!

Fran

Thanks! Is the forecast a week out dependable? I am hoping to pack light but if the weather can swing from snow to rain that might be difficult!
I would depend on a week out forecast to generally be dependable within 10 degrees, which of course could make the difference between rain or snow. But personally I'm going to take the same gear either way:

waterproof hiking boots sturdy enough for cobblestones

good quality rain / wind shell, large enough for layering underneath, with attached hood

rain / sun hat

wool watch cap

wool gloves

wearing an undershirt, flannel shirt and fleece jacket under the shell I am easily good to 20F if I am moderately active (ie walking)

if I am expecting weather colder than 20F I also take a vest

if I am expecting lots of rain or strong winds I take goretex rain pants

Given that for most river cruises I'm flying from DC to Europe and the seasons are similar, all the exterior gear will be worn in transit and is not requiring additional luggage space. I hardly ever check a bag and have actually gone to Antarctica with only a carry-on bag. 2 years ago we did an early April Douro River cruise; during the Lisbon tour the first day it was 40F with heavy rain and gusty winds (every umbrella was inside out) and I was one of the few who stayed warm and dry, and I did that with only carry-on (on Lufthansa who was enforcing an 8kg carry-on limit [okay both my "carry-on" and my "personal item" were right at 8kg]). I decided many years ago that I'd rather own my luggage by traveling light, rather than have my luggage own me. Laundry is your friend.

Thom