Linz or Cesky Krumlov

zenith32

CK is the definite choice. A charming old town with plenty to see, buildings, gardens, river and many places to eat. We really enjoyed our time there even with the long bus ride and even that was interesting.

Just realize that Cesky Kromlov is about an hour and a quarter, maybe longer, bus ride each way. If lunch is included, that also cuts into your sightseeing time. It is a beautiful, picaresque town.

"...not much to see in Linz..." I disagree. We only had an afternoon on our first visit as the morning was a visit to the Matthausen Memorial and that was not long enough. Our second visit was long enough to visit a couple museums and the Christmas Markets.

Just realize that Cesky Kromlov is about an hour and a quarter, maybe longer, bus ride each way. If lunch is included, that also cuts into your sightseeing time.

Perhaps grab a sandwich to go, and walk around viewing and eating. From our perspective non-essential food consumption, (i.e. when you're not dying of starvation), falls far behind 'experiencing & seeing'.

My husband and I are taking a cruise on the Viking Hermod. They have scheduled Linz and Cesky Krumlov for the same day. I would appreciate any feedback from people who have visited either destination. Thanks

What time of year will you be there? We went in Dec 2016 to CK and there was not a lot open, several restaurants were closed and we had a hard time finding a place for lunch. We had been there before in the spring and it was beautiful, everything open and the weather was nice to walk around.

If you do choose to go to CK, read “The Bloodletter’s Daughter”. Our tour guide told us about it on our tour and I wish I had read it in advance. One of the most unique towns I have ever visited! We stopped for a quick snack at an old tavern on the river on a lovely April day. The bus ride was long but comfortable and we learned lots about Czech Republic from great guide. Very worth it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you do choose to go to CK, read “The Bloodletter’s Daughter”. Our tour guide told us about it on our tour and I wish I had read it in advance. One of the most unique towns I have ever visited! We stopped for a quick snack at an old tavern on the river on a lovely April day. The bus ride was long but comfortable and we learned lots about Czech Republic from great guide. Very worth it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the book recommendation. I am visiting CK in June!

Juat finished the long overdue sorting of photos from our last year's Danube cruise. CK by far was the best included tour. We had a fabulous day! It is a beautiful old city. We had a "lunch" of beer and ice cream in an outdoor restaurant on the square. If I ever return, I want to do the boat ride around the city.

This and Durnstein were the best two stops on our Viking Danube Waltz cruise last June. Family members with us thought the day would be too long (they're younger than we are) and did extra cost bread making or something of the sort. All we could do not to tell them they missed the best thing on the cruise!

If you do have the chance, spend a little time in Linz. It is considered to be Hitler's hometown and was going to be the cultural center of the Reich. On my trip through the Danube my wife and I went out and about bar hopping and multiple groups of locals approached us to pick our brains about what we thought being in his hometown. This led to a series of fascinating discussions and I learned just a ton. Interactions like that are why I travel.