Acropolis Access

Travelswithmycamera

Visited many years ago when my husband and I were much younger and fitter. Planning on a night in Athens post cruise and looking at either a 1/2 day tour or a self tour to the Acropolis and area. My question is how far to the entrance can we get by either tour or taxi to avoid an uphill climb. I heard about an elevator but we are not at that point yet.

Thank you all for your kind replies.

You can take a taxi to the point of entry at the ticket plaza -- presumably some tours will also drop you off in that area, but it would be wise to double-check. Otherwise, you can walk up the side with the more gentle slope (starting near the Acropolis metro station) versus the side with the steeper slope (near the Greek Agora).

However, while this avoids part of the slope, you still will have to climb the stretch of marble steps leading up to the ancient entrance to the Acropolis itself.

I'm sure you remember that the steps are uneven and slippery but there are also places to stop along the way -- just take it slowly. If you can go first thing in the morning (e.g., when it opens), you'll be less bothered by the crowds and heat that can make the climb more unpleasant.

• 2 months later...
Visited many years ago when my husband and I were much younger and fitter. Planning on a night in Athens post cruise and looking at either a 1/2 day tour or a self tour to the Acropolis and area. My question is how far to the entrance can we get by either tour or taxi to avoid an uphill climb. I heard about an elevator but we are not at that point yet.

Thank you all for your kind replies.

We had visited Athens before our cruise and booked a small tour withthree other travellers, forming a small group of 8. An elderly woman in ourgroup used a foldable wheelchair and our driver recommended that she use thelift up to the Acropolis. He dropped her off as near as he could and then herdaughter pushed her to the lift. The rest of the group used the main entrance.Although the steps are worn and slippery, the climb isn’t very difficult. As Iam not too fit, I made several stops along the climb (the heat didn’t help).Whatever you decide, make sure that you reach the Acropolis early in themorning so as to avoid the crowds and the heat.