Who gets selected for special dinners

Mard940

how are people selected for the chefs or winemakers table dinners. Is it by pricess cruiser status, first come, those in suites or a random selection? We are leaving soon and want to understand the process... outside of slipping a $20 to the maitre d

how are people selected for the chefs or winemakers table dinners. Is it by pricess cruiser status, first come, those in suites or a random selection? We are leaving soon and want to understand the process... outside of slipping a $20 to the maitre d

There will probably be a sign up on the first day depending on your cruise and MD. Since these have "special events" have been around for a number of years the demand isn't what it used to be. If there is a big demand on a particular cruise they will usually run more than one event ex: chef's table. Getting in is not difficult at all.

Wine Maker’s Dinner– Diners in the Symphony and Concerto dining rooms can enjoy a unique dining experience in a private space inspired by a wine cellar. Surrounded by wine bottles, the circular area, which seats up to 12, offers a distinctive atmosphere for private functions and special celebrations. Wine cellar specialty menus developed in conjunction with noted winemakers have been designed to especially to pair with matching wines. Menu items include classic carved meats such as crown of veal rack, lamb Baron and veal rack a l’Orlov. Cover charge: $40

Never bribed anyone and just called to request as soon as boarding the ship.

We have balcony or lower cabins & have gotten the Chef’s Table, Winemakers Dinner & Ultimate Balcony Dinner each time we requested them...a dozen times. That leads me to believe that it’s first come, first served and not based on cabin nor on Captain’s Circle level.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I have been told you get turned down - or not selected - if you admit to having any food allergies.

We stopped attending Chef's Table as more recently it almost always turned out to be veal, and that is not something I will eat.

And also we found the MTP lunch we generally attend every cruise was equally good, and you get a choice of entrée. Not that this is an event you can sign up for. One great meal per cruise is enough.

I have been told you get turned down - or not selected - if you admit to having any food allergies.

We stopped attending Chef's Table as more recently it almost always turned out to be veal, and that is not something I will eat.

And also we found the MTP lunch we generally attend every cruise was equally good, and you get a choice of entrée. Not that this is an event you can sign up for. One great meal per cruise is enough.

DW has very unusual food allergies and for wine makers dinners they always accommodate her

We got picked three times out of four that we tried to sign up for the Chef's Table. Once we did not find out until nearly halfway through our cruise. And that was a partial Panama Canal cruise, so it was several days into the cruise. DH ended up having a sinus infection and not being able to do it. I did it on my own. Fortunately, others we had met on the cruise were also chosen for that night, so I knew someone at the table.

The Ultimate Balcony Dinner is our go-to event meal now. And you can sign up for that in advance.

Never bribed anyone and just called to request as soon as boarding the ship.

We have balcony or lower cabins & have gotten the Chef’s Table, Winemakers Dinner & Ultimate Balcony Dinner each time we requested them...a dozen times. That leads me to believe that it’s first come, first served and not based on cabin nor on Captain’s Circle level.

I think you are right with the exception of Chef's Table. I talked to the Maitre de on Royal & he said they do sometimes have "special guests" of the cruise line. It is the hardest to get selected as only 10 guests. They usually do it twice during a 10 day sailing & once on a 7. I would recommend you go in person to apply as the line is always busy embarcation day. A friend who went said they call you later to let you know if you are selected. Winemakers Dinner & Ultimate Balcony Dinner are much more open re # of people so I don't think there is much of a problem.

I think you are right with the exception of Chef's Table. I talked to the Maitre de on Royal & he said they do sometimes have "special guests" of the cruise line. It is the hardest to get selected as only 10 guests. They usually do it twice during a 10 day sailing & once on a 7. I would recommend you go in person to apply as the line is always busy embarcation day. A friend who went said they call you later to let you know if you are selected. Winemakers Dinner & Ultimate Balcony Dinner are much more open re # of people so I don't think there is much of a problem.

We are not a “special guest” but by calling room service on embarkation day we’ve been selected each of the 4 times we’ve requested the CT.

By calling room service we’ve been selected for the Winemakers Dinner all 4 times we’ve requested which like the CT has 10-12 passengers. So the availability for the WD is not much greater than for the CT and is about the same.

UBD is available twice per evening for a total of 4 times. That’s 8 passengers per evening & room service supervisors have said that it’s very rare for all available UBDs to be booked.

These have been my experiences & they have worked each time we requested these limited participation dinners.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We are not a “special guest” but by calling room service on embarkation day we’ve been selected each of the 4 times we’ve requested the CT.

By calling room service we’ve been selected for the Winemakers Dinner all 4 times we’ve requested which like the CT has 10-12 passengers. So the availability for the WD is not much greater than for the CT and is about the same.

UBD is available twice per evening for a total of 4 times. That’s 8 passengers per evening & room service supervisors have said that it’s very rare for all available UBDs to be booked.

These have been my experiences & they have worked each time we requested these limited participation dinners.

EDIT: My apologies, we called DINE line for CT & WD and room service for UBD.

You are correct! DW has a shellfish allergy so I attended while she went to a specially restaurant.

Chefs Table

38764744401_ffd54d1665_b.jpg

Veal, Lobster, Steak

Best meal I ever had

38764744221_64a2e70aaf_b.jpg

Howard

Usual is first come. We have done the Chief table twice. Found the table ASAP after embarkation where list was being taken. Since the actual process is done behind closed doors, VIP and tips/bribes are likely to get someone to top of list.

Chef's Table used to be tough to get when it cost $60 per person. At current prices we suspect they just wait for the suckers to sign-up. $230 a couple on Regal/Royal? And consider that you have already paid for dinner in your cruise fare and many folks will tip on top of that cost. We have done two Chef's Table Dinners (when they cost a lot less) and it was an excellent experience. The only way we would even consider $115 a person is if we knew the wines in advance and they were outstanding. But at our previous Chef's Table Dinners the wines at the table were just mediocre...although we did enjoy the real Champagne served in the galley.

Hank

There will probably be a sign up on the first day depending on your cruise and MD. Since these have "special events" have been around for a number of years the demand isn't what it used to be. If there is a big demand on a particular cruise they will usually run more than one event ex: chef's table. Getting in is not difficult at all.

FYI....I was on the Caribbean Princess last month & when I called the dine line I was put on a wait list for the Chef’s Table. I waited too long to call. Never received a call back. In my opinion you need to call the DINE line ASAP as they only take 12 people. It’s first come first served, so they take the first 12 people.

Tom😎