No Next Day Stayover on my TA 15Nt. out of Orlando

ShakeDaddy

Land at 12:20pm on Saturday, it's only a 50 minute ride to the port 30 miles.

At the port by 2:45pm.

Last boarding on the ship by 4:00pm.

Good golly, no need to stay over in pathetic Florida. :hearteyes:

Edited by ShakeDaddy

If you want to keep your flight, get trip insurance and prebook transportation. If at all possible, make sure all your luggage can be carried on (I did this for a two week vacation in Europe before I had kids. Now each kid gets a bag the size of my carry on for Europe just for the plane).

My SIL once found a great deal on a flight from the east coast to SF. It was the last flight of the day, and required her to switch planes in Las Vegas. She got grounded by fog for two hours before taking off, and missed her connection, which was the last one of the day. It was a weather related delay so the airlines didn't technically owe her anything, but they saw her there alone with two toddlers and kindly issued meal vouchers and a hotel voucher. But she didn't have any clothes or toiletries for herself and her oldest child (and her oldest kid spilled juice all over herself and the mom so they were both soaked). If you can't carry everything on, make sure you have enough packed in your carry on to hold you until Bermuda, which should be a fairly easy flight from Florida. But without trip insurance you'll need to pay for a hotel room in Florida or Bermuda until you can meet the ship.

Your counting on everything to go 100% right that day and risk missing the ship because you don’t want to pay for a hotel for one night near the port? You don’t know where your plane your counting on is coming from to be in position at the exact time you need it. There’s still a chance of winter weather issues in parts of the country and what happens if that plane is stuck on the ground in some city. I personally wouldn’t risk it during winter weather months

Two years ago, I was back east before a huge blizzard and I only got out of Newark because my plane had spent the night before in Miami, flew up to Newark that morning and was in the position to fly me cross country home. It hadn’t even snowed yet, but half the planes couldn’t get to Newark because the storm was coming from the west and many flights were canceled already.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We once spent 3.5 hours trying to get to the port the day there was a shooting on the highway...by the time we got to the port, the porters were gone and we and the other people on our shuttle were the last ones through. It is not a good feeling at all!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The OP is from Arizona, I’m guessing not a lot of weather there? Living under 25 miles from 3 major NE airports, delays and cancellations are common.

I’m just saying planes fly in from all parts of the country and then airline is sending the plane his flight will use, let’s say from Boston to Phoenix and its snows, that plane is stuck in Boston or delayed for a long period of time and then the plane will either be late going to Florida or cancelled because that plane it needs for the flight is stuck on the ground. Airlines seldom have spare planes just sitting on the ground during the day.

Easy to be on the Epic by 2:30 and sail away isn't until 5pm.

You've already made up your mind that there will be no flight delay and no traffic delay. So there's no sense in asking us for our opinion.

I’m just saying planes fly in from all parts of the country and then airline is sending the plane his flight will use, let’s say from Boston to Phoenix and its snows, that plane is stuck in Boston or delayed for a long period of time and then the plane will either be late going to Florida or cancelled because that plane it needs for the flight is stuck on the ground. Airlines seldom have spare planes just sitting on the ground during the day.

I agree with you, just because there are no reasons for delays at the departing or arrival airport, there can still be delays. DH flies from NJ to NC about once a month, he’s delayed about a quarter of the trips.

I'm pretty sure the OP is yanking our chain, but for what it is worth, here is what happened back at New Years on our Rose Bowl trip, any number of which would have ruined a plan like this:

1: We were on the first of 3 flights for the day from Oakland to LA (after flying in the night before from Atlanta.) Flight from LA to Oakland (which was our aircraft never took off due to mechanical.) All 3 flights cancelled. Had to rebook flying out of SF, basically a 1 hour BART trip.

2. Flight from SFO was delayed 15 minutes boarding ( not bad) but then held on tarmac for 30 minutes due to fog in LA

3. When we finally got to the gate in LA it took 10-15 minutes to find someone who could operate the freaking jetway. Net effect deplaned at 7 pm instead of 10:30 AM. The joys of modern air travel.

I'm pretty sure the OP is yanking our chain, but for what it is worth, here is what happened back at New Years on our Rose Bowl trip, any number of which would have ruined a plan like this:

1: We were on the first of 3 flights for the day from Oakland to LA (after flying in the night before from Atlanta.) Flight from LA to Oakland (which was our aircraft never took off due to mechanical.) All 3 flights cancelled. Had to rebook flying out of SF, basically a 1 hour BART trip.

2. Flight from SFO was delayed 15 minutes boarding ( not bad) but then held on tarmac for 30 minutes due to fog in LA

3. When we finally got to the gate in LA it took 10-15 minutes to find someone who could operate the freaking jetway. Net effect deplaned at 7 pm instead of 10:30 AM. The joys of modern air travel.

Heck, I just don't like the stress of trying to do a cross country flight waking up at zero dark thirty and then still having to deal with traffic to get somewhere in time. I've had every kind of delay possible on first thing in the morning flights. Plane didn't make it in night before, pilots got in late night before and needed another hour and a half mandated rest, light burnt out on indicator in cockpit that had to be replaced, and the best one - medical diversion when person next to me started to have convulsions mid-flight. Just don't want to deal with it all. Rather fly in evening before and rest before boarding. But everyone is different.

This person obviously has not spent over an hour sitting in traffic waiting to get into the port area to board the Epic. There is usually a backup to get into the port complex and another to get into the Epic terminal. Then a long walk and another line to go through security. If his plan works once it likely won't work twice. Don't be this guy!

Land at 12:20pm on Saturday, it's only a 50 minute ride to the port 30 miles.

At the port by 2:45pm.

Last boarding on the ship by 4:00pm.

Good golly, no need to stay over in pathetic Florida. :hearteyes:

Wow I'm used to people pissing on my homeport of NYC. Never heard anyone on CC refer to Florida as pathetic.

People, read the whole thread and especially the OP's attempts to keep everyone wound up.

While he may be "planning" to cut it close for his cruise, he is certainly allowing a lot of time for an April Fools thread.

:')

West Coaster here. I'm also adverse to flying in a day early. I totally believe you can mitigate delays, etc. That said, even I flew in the day the last time I went to Orlando. MCO is a freaking madhouse on a weekend. It makes LAX look calm and quiet. I spent most of that day people watching off my airport hotel balcony (the Hyatt; coolest airport hotel setup I've seen so far even if the hotel itself is just meh) and it was nuts.

The MCO to Port in 30 minutes is what makes me think he's a troll. If he had just said it once, I could chalk it up to a mistake, but he keeps harping on it like ManicalCruiser does on the tipping issue. ;p

Using Google Maps to get the driving distance gives you just that: the driving distance between those two points. Just getting OUT of an airport can be a 10 - 15 minute task when there are a lot of vehicles. And just getting to where your diver can drop you off at the port can be a 10 - 15 minute task the same way.

Not sure where the 4:30 comes from, the website says:

• Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing.

5:00 sailing - 2 Hours is 3:00pm for all aboard.

Before you can get on board, you needed to go through the following:

Check-In: 10 - 15 minutes to get pictures taken, credit cards swiped, key cards issued, etc.

Health Forms: 5 minutes if not filled out before hand

Security at port: 15 to 30 minutes depending on line...not sure how many security lanes open this close to sailaway

Drop off at port: this can take 15 - 30 minutes depending on line of cars, traffic and porters availability.

If you do the math backwards, to get on board by 3:00 you need to get to port between 1:40 and 2:15.

Drive from MCO once you leave parking lot to port area before you get in queue to get dropped off: 45 minutes (if no traffic delays).

So, now you need to look at what it takes to get from the plane's landing time to inside your car at the exit of the airport. You need to leave MCO parking lot no later than 12:55 or 1:30.

Landing time is sometimes quoted as wheels on ground: allow time for taxi to gate, etc.

Disembarkation: depending on where you are on the plane, plan for 10 - 15 minutes to get off plane once you are at gate.

Depending on gate, distance to where you are meeting shuttle: unknown.

All luggage must be carried on, there is no time to pick up bags or wait for bags to be delivered to carrousel.

Can't risk shuttle, which may wait until full if there are later disembarking ships.

No time to rent car (no time to pick up, drop off or park) so private transportation must be arranged.

So, yeah, if you don't need to use the bathroom in the airport, you might just might be able to make it assuming everything works perfectly.

Good luck, you will definitely need it.

Using Google Maps to get the driving distance gives you just that: the driving distance between those two points. Just getting OUT of an airport can be a 10 - 15 minute task when there are a lot of vehicles. And just getting to where your diver can drop you off at the port can be a 10 - 15 minute task the same way.

Not sure where the 4:30 comes from, the website says:

• Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing.

5:00 sailing - 2 Hours is 3:00pm for all aboard.

Before you can get on board, you needed to go through the following:

Check-In: 10 - 15 minutes to get pictures taken, credit cards swiped, key cards issued, etc.

Health Forms: 5 minutes if not filled out before hand

Security at port: 15 to 30 minutes depending on line...not sure how many security lanes open this close to sailaway

Drop off at port: this can take 15 - 30 minutes depending on line of cars, traffic and porters availability.

If you do the math backwards, to get on board by 3:00 you need to get to port between 1:40 and 2:15.

Drive from MCO once you leave parking lot to port area before you get in queue to get dropped off: 45 minutes (if no traffic delays).

So, now you need to look at what it takes to get from the plane's landing time to inside your car at the exit of the airport. You need to leave MCO parking lot no later than 12:55 or 1:30.

Landing time is sometimes quoted as wheels on ground: allow time for taxi to gate, etc.

Disembarkation: depending on where you are on the plane, plan for 10 - 15 minutes to get off plane once you are at gate.

Depending on gate, distance to where you are meeting shuttle: unknown.

All luggage must be carried on, there is no time to pick up bags or wait for bags to be delivered to carrousel.

Can't risk shuttle, which may wait until full if there are later disembarking ships.

No time to rent car (no time to pick up, drop off or park) so private transportation must be arranged.

So, yeah, if you don't need to use the bathroom in the airport, you might just might be able to make it assuming everything works perfectly.

Good luck, you will definitely need it.

And there is no wiggle room on the 2 hours. Something about manifest that need to be checked with Homeland or some such.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The OP is from Arizona, I’m guessing not a lot of weather there? Living under 25 miles from 3 major NE airports, delays and cancellations are common.

Doesn't matter, those planes aren't sitting in some magic garage out back with extras lined up. Of course there is the potential for delays and cancellations at any airport.