Behind the Scenes Tour

mdsgu

Our dinner with an officer was by a drawing. I'd seen it in the daily's and put in my name and cabin number....and got it! After that dinner, we got an offer to do the bridge tour.

I'm forgetting the details, but on our first NCL cruise, we were invited to dinner with a senior Officer. IIRC, it was the Chief Engineer (I could be wrong about exact title), and it was absolutely fascinating. He was very pleasant and answered a lot of questions, with good explanations. I don't quite remember if he had time to eat, however!

We certainly weren't platinum status then.

I don't remember if we entered a drawing or just asked someone about it.

• 5 months later...

I was looking forward to my first platinum tour when Hanno, our concierge sent me an invite to the suite tour. He told me, "mine is better". We did go to the bridge. And were there quite some time. I would have hated missing that.

This was in April 2015 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The paid tour gives you a history of the cruise line, visits the environmental room (trash room), and a photo in the galley.

Prior to heightened security, use to go to bridge.

i done the behind the scenes tour on Carnival twice and both times went to the bridge. why does NCL no longer want you on the bridge? If we do not go to the bridge, i may not sign up for my breakaway cruise next month :(

We did the behind the scenes tour last year on the Getaway. It was the paid tour, we don't have status on NCL and was about 90 minutes. That included the short movie about NCL, backstage tour of the theater, kitchen, laundry and environmental (trash) area; we also walked around I95. I may look into it again on the Epic in a couple of weeks. I think my mom would like it, but I am not sure she wants to do the walking.

i done the behind the scenes tour on Carnival twice and both times went to the bridge. why does NCL no longer want you on the bridge? If we do not go to the bridge, i may not sign up for my breakaway cruise next month :(

I don't think it's NCL that doesn't want you on the bridge - it's the individual Captains. So, it depends on what is happening that day, and whether the Captain thinks it's important to make sure everyone is happy - as I can't believe they don't all know the main thing people want to see is the bridge.

I think it also depends on the size of the group. As someone else said, the suites/VIPs tours I've attended did visit the bridge, but it was a very small group.

That said, we've done the Platinum tour on multiple classes of ships, and they are always interesting, even without the bridge. My wife wants the machines from the laundry, so she could do our laundry once a month. The galley (ask for samples) and the storage areas are impressive. Our first tour, much of the time was taken up by the environmental engineer, who was dedicated to the preparation, disposal and recycling of trash. Who knew someone could be passionate about trash?

As others have said, once per class is probably sufficient, but I would do it once.

Our dinner with an officer was by a drawing. I'd seen it in the daily's and put in my name and cabin number....and got it! After that dinner, we got an offer to do the bridge tour.

I'm forgetting the details, but on our first NCL cruise, we were invited to dinner with a senior Officer. IIRC, it was the Chief Engineer (I could be wrong about exact title), and it was absolutely fascinating. He was very pleasant and answered a lot of questions, with good explanations. I don't quite remember if he had time to eat, however!

We certainly weren't platinum status then.

I don't remember if we entered a drawing or just asked someone about it.

Last November we had Dinner with an Officer by signing up for a drawing. But now that the Latitudes levels have changed, the Dinner with an Officer is open only to those on Platinum Plus level.

Did the paid tour last October on Breakaway and were told we may or may not be allowed on the Bridge. We went to the area before the Bridge, consulted the Security Officer, who got an OK from the Staff Captain, and we were in. Spent 20 minutes there! Officers did not take questions as they were very attentive to the duty at the time.

Loved the tour. Saw the kitchens, food storage, I-95, laundry, recycling, theater backstage areas. Well worth it.

We did the BTS Tour, booked onboard the NCL Spirit. There are only a few places per cruise, ours was 12 (out of 2,000 passengers)! We felt very privileged! We paid about £89 each. We thought that was hefty but, after the 90 min tour, we were enlightened as to the workings of the restaurant kitchen, the theatre dressing rooms, got to chat to one of the dancers about "quick changes" etc. The laundry where we took pictures and a video of the sheet folding machine, the lady sitting waiting for it to plop onto her lap and place in a pile! The sheets are huge and it was just what I need at home [emoji51]. The prep of food was interesting, especially the individual bread roll machine etc.

We got to see and talk to the manager in charge of trash! That was a whole new story....when and where they can dump, how far out to sea they are allowed etc., the white trash, grey trash and compressed metal that looks like a metal tray so thin (30 cans worth) that they are only allowed, and pay to deposit in Barcelona as that's the biggest port for this kind of stuff.

We came up onto atrium level, went to the Lounge and had to go down about 16 steep steps to a mini museum area. This has the history of that ship, in particular, amongst others in the fleet. It showed pics of the naming ceremony, the name before it became the Spirit (as it's the oldest on the fleet it was built for the Asian community originally), lots of memorabilia and gifts to the captain.

There was a glass window where we could view the bridge and they waved, keeping their eye on the steering ha! Then up again, to the Lounge level for our framed pictures of us with a very large mop and bucket in the kitchen! Although we went as a couple, you still get 2 the same but we used the 2nd NCL frame to give one of our other photographs to my daughter, which was nice.

Thoroughly recommend and worth the individual staff time. They even told us which staff get part of our gratuities and the recycling don't, unless they do long 12 hour shifts. Very interesting but think you'd only need to do it once within one fleet.

Hope this helps. [emoji1303]🥒🥖[emoji513][emoji508][emoji624]️[emoji925][emoji921][emoji1005][emoji933]🤹*♂️[emoji145][emoji858][emoji1385][emoji67]🏼*✈️[emoji68]🏻*✈️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
Quick question -

I am platinum. My cabinmate is silver. Does she have to pay to join me on the tour, or is she allowed to join me?

Thank you

The platinum tour is a separate thing from the paid tour, so it’s almost certain that your cabin mate wouldn’t be able to join you at all, even if willing to pay.

Lately, the platinum tours have been consistently filled up with platinums, in my experience, so you are unlikely to be able to get your friend on. I suppose you never know (on one cruise a few years ago there were only 6 platinums onboard and we were able to take our son), in which case it’s possible you could arrange something, but that seems unlikely these days.

The platinum tour is a separate thing from the paid tour, so it’s almost certain that your cabin mate wouldn’t be able to join you at all, even if willing to pay.

Lately, the platinum tours have been consistently filled up with platinums, in my experience, so you are unlikely to be able to get your friend on. I suppose you never know (on one cruise a few years ago there were only 6 platinums onboard and we were able to take our son), in which case it’s possible you could arrange something, but that seems unlikely these days.

XXXXX

A lot depends on when your cruise is sailing - prime time full occupancy may be more difficult than shoulder

season (ship positioning) less than full.

When the Platinum guest first comes on board the ship - go to the Next Cruise desk and make the reservation

for the Platinum BST. At this point it does not hurt to ASK if your non-platinum guest can go along.

I have found an offer to pay for the guest is politely rejected because all the tour members are getting it free.

Also it helps to be in a suite and have the Concierge nudge this forward.

In the first case - I was told will they would get back to me and they did at the end of the day - they had not filled in all the slots.

In the second case on the NCL SUN a smaller ship they just made the reservation without any problem.

The BST group numbers generally are between 16-20 depending on ship.

There maybe more than one tour and more than one tour at a time depending on demand and availability of tour guides.

Only cavet to watch out for is the conflict in the tour scheduling and any Meet & Greet activity.

The BST is done on a Sea Day generally between 10am and noon.

The Free Platinum BST and the Paid general public tour may or may not be exactly the same depending on

ship and number of participants - the four basic tour sites are the Laundry Room - Back Stage Theatre - MDR

Galley - and the I95 deck Crew Activities corridor. Sites not visited the Engine room - Crew Quarters - and the BRIDGE !

While it is questionable that the Paid tour about $80 is worth it - the Free Platinum tour of about 2 hours is well spent !

Does anyone know if you have the excursion credit, could this be used toward the paid tour since you book with the ShorEX team?

I asked this in another thread just today and was told no (though a more optimistic person suggested asking at guest services or something but probably no).

I asked this in another thread just today and was told no (though a more optimistic person suggested asking at guest services or something but probably no).

Thanks for the info! We still might try.

Sorry. I thought that since you booked it at the SHORE excursion desk and the tour was given by SHORE excursion members that maybe you could use the credits. Not quite sure why you have to be so condescending.

Yeah, huh, well anyway, I did mention how the one person suggested that you could still ask because, hey, it never hurts to ask. Worse that happens is they say no. I ended up not pursuing it as I decided not to take the tour that trip anyway. I mean, I figured it would be 'no' as well since it's not a 'shore excursion' but like you said, still an excursion sold at the 'shore excursion' desk. Can't hurt to ask if it'd just go unused anyway.