Dancing wait staff????

L1211

In case anyone was wondering, in June 1990 the dancing waiter song de jour was "Hot Hot Hot" by Buster Poindexter.

The waiters formed a conga line and the entire damn dining room joined in. It was fun though.

This was on the Carnivale so there weren't as many people onboard as there are today.

Edited by Greggy_D

If dancing waiters offend you, Carnival cruising is not for you.

To be clear, I didn't say they offend ME, my point is that I hate it for THEM. It feels to me like a pony show and totally inappropriate. Wait on me, ok, that's your job. Dance for me, just no??? Sorry, I've only watched it on video but found it an inappropriate ask of a wait staff. You may be right about a Carnival cruise, but I remain open minded. Still, not sure what that has to do with it...

In case anyone was wondering, in June 1990 the dancing waiter song de jour was "Hot Hot Hot" by Buster Poindexter.

The waiters formed a conga line and the entire damn dining room joined in. It was fun though.

This was on the Carnivale so there weren't as many people onboard as there are today.

Relic of time gone by???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be clear, I didn't say they offend ME, my point is that I hate it for THEM. It feels to me like a pony show and totally inappropriate. Wait on me, ok, that's your job. Dance for me, just no??? Sorry, I've only watched it on video but found it an inappropriate ask of a wait staff. You may be right about a Carnival cruise, but I remain open minded. Still, not sure what that has to do with it...

The waiters seem to have a ton of fun when doing it. Especially when the guests get up and dance with them. So no need to feel sorry for them.

And as far as it interrupting service: they dance to one song. Just one. Songs are what, a few minutes long? I’m sure no one is going to starve if they have to wait a few more minutes for their dinner.

Bottom line, it’s fun. Carnival is a fun line to cruise with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a condition of their employment. I'm sure if they hated it that much they wouldn't renew their employment contract. Same as if a passenger doesn't like the event so much that they choose to sail with a different cruise line. This is one of Carnival's signature items, I don't see it changing any time in the near future.

RCCL is now doing a little waiter dancing...

I'm on Harmony of the Seas end of March. I will have to report back on the dancing wait staff comparisons!!

We were on the Oasis of the Seas 2012 and yes they did a dance night in the MDR. Our waiter however did not get into it, a real fuddy-duddy he was. It was comparable to Carnival without the napkin twirling,

Put me down as one that doesn't care for the dancing but I'll live. Having said that, the last time we were on the Breeze we were sitting in the dining room at a two stop right next to the stairs leading to the elevated center of the dining room and a woman got up to film this extravaganza on her iPhone. Unfortunately, she put her armpit in my husband's face to do so. Gross!!!!!

Don't do that :rolleyes:

Wow, our Roadhouse doesn't line dance. They just bring out the saddle for birthdays. I'm not really sure where they would dance at ours - it's pretty tight in there & ours is always full as well.

I'm on Harmony of the Seas end of March. I will have to report back on the dancing wait staff comparisons!!

rccl had the dancing waiters in 1993! don't know if they still do.

rccl had the dancing waiters in 1993! don't know if they still do.

Yes RCCL does dancing waiters too....its even group participation as you are suppose to twirl your napkin around like "terrible towel" style....

I appreciate that many people enjoy this, but I do not. it does not really bother me, but I don't feel the need to clap, hoot, twirl napkin etc, and would rather not sit through it before I can make my way out of the MDR, or wait between courses for it to end.

Since YTD, your time dining started, I have been doing this, and have mostly gone to the dining room early, shortly after opening, and am usually out before 7pm. As others said, the dancing usually starts around 7pm, so if you can plan around this, do that. Otherwise, with traditional set time dining, you will likely endure it several nights. It can be fun, but gets old after several times, and after several cruises, at least for me.

I appreciate that many people enjoy this, but I do not. it does not really bother me, but I don't feel the need to clap, hoot, twirl napkin etc, and would rather not sit through it before I can make my way out of the MDR, or wait between courses for it to end.

Since YTD, your time dining started, I have been doing this, and have mostly gone to the dining room early, shortly after opening, and am usually out before 7pm. As others said, the dancing usually starts around 7pm, so if you can plan around this, do that. Otherwise, with traditional set time dining, you will likely endure it several nights. It can be fun, but gets old after several times, and after several cruises, at least for me.

did you enjoy the dancing on your 1st. cruise? i would say most 1st timers love the show. i have been on 20 carnival cruises and still enjoy it!

How about dinner at 8ish? Is there only one "show" during MYD? Thanks!!

did you enjoy the dancing on your 1st. cruise? i would say most 1st timers love the show. i have been on 20 carnival cruises and still enjoy it!

yes, actually I liked it. My first cruise was in 1999, on NCL Norway, loved that cruise, and it got me hooked on cruising, even though I was already 40 ish years old. They did it then, but it was not as often in 7 days, maybe twice. still, was very nice and fun.

As for Carnival, first Carnival cruise was in 2000, and yes I did enjoy it back then also, but after a few years, it has gotten tired for me. This is just my feeling. I have no problem with people who like it, and hope that it continues.

Just saying that I am not one who enjoys it, but it also does not bother me beyond the fact that I prefer to avoid it.

To each their own. Enjoy it, or avoid it lol.

How about dinner at 8ish? Is there only one "show" during MYD? Thanks!!

I am not sure about that because I always go to dinner in the MDR early. but I have a feeling that it will be done twice during the dining hours, early vs late. Not sure, but believe it will be repeated later again. Sorry cant say how it will go with later "your time dining".

Watch their souls dying in their eyes as some of them dance. This really is a degrading pony show that the staff clearly hates. It is very evident..

Wow... First class, grade A, rubbish!!! Even though YOU may not like it, don't lie about it.

From the performances that I’ve seen not all of them dance. Only a handful. I’m sure that those who dance choose to do so. Most of the others stand in place and sing along with the group. The ones who are dancing all appear to be very happy and enthusiastic. In fact I’ve found the dancing wait staff to be more enthusiastic than some of the Carnival professional dancers in the theatre on my last two sailings. And it appears that I’m not alone in my assessment as the turnout for the theatre performances has been dismal (30-40/night) whereas the MDRs have been very full.

For those who feel sorry for the wait staff I’m sure that they are aware of their job requirements when they sign on. If they didn’t want to sing or dance they could’ve applied for a different cruise line or a different position on board.

When the wait staff at a local restaurant gathers around a table rhythmically clapping and singing happy birthday to a patron should we feel sorry for them for being forced to “perform” for the crowd instead of waiting tables?

Op here. On the Victory and experience our first wait staff dance last evening. This picture says it all! My 21 y/o's reaction. She's only sailed NCL and didn't know it was coming. But, have to admit, it was a blast! And those who wore the special silver frocks and danced on service tables clearly are chosen for their special skill. They can dance! 730001504122d365707f5eb200e7a2d2.jpg

So, I stand corrected! While I could do without it, the crowd loved it. I think once a cruise would be perfect. JMO.

da69aafda6aedff502cff6612a1366a2.jpg

Op here. On the Victory and experience our first wait staff dance last evening. This picture says it all! My 21 y/o's reaction. She's only sailed NCL and didn't know it was coming. But, have to admit, it was a blast! And those who wore the special silver frocks and danced on service tables clearly are chosen for their special skill. They can dance! 730001504122d365707f5eb200e7a2d2.jpg

So, I stand corrected! While I could do without it, the crowd loved it. I think once a cruise would be perfect. JMO.

da69aafda6aedff502cff6612a1366a2.jpg

Thanks for coming back and sharing your thoughts!

Our waiter on Pride last week couldn't wait till dance time. He was really into it and very good too.

I don't mind it at all and know when to scadaddle if I don't feel like seeing it once again....LOL (Run, when they blink the lights)