Should we walk Dubrovnik Walls ?

Tedferg

We will be on a five hour tour, Mt Sdr, Catvat, Dubrovnik Old Town guided tour - then free time in Old Town. We are four active mid-70s and wonder if it is worth the effort to walk the walls. I have read that it takes 90 minutes and best to get there early before crowds. We would not ne there until mid-afternoon.

We can make a game time decision but thought it would be nice to have your input.

What month will you be in Dubrovnik? I have done the wall twice. My suggestion would be to skip your tour and take taxi from ship to old town. There is plenty to do in Old town to include walking the wall. Most cruise lines offer bus service to and from old town. You can walk from the ship to old town; it's about a mile; but if you're going to walk the wall, suggest taxi or ship sponsored bus

We will be on a five hour tour, Mt Sdr, Catvat, Dubrovnik Old Town guided tour - then free time in Old Town. We are four active mid-70s and wonder if it is worth the effort to walk the walls. I have read that it takes 90 minutes and best to get there early before crowds. We would not ne there until mid-afternoon.

We can make a game time decision but thought it would be nice to have your input.

If you have the time, then definitely do it. Great vistas from around the city, but make sure you are up to the steps and it is early enough in the day to avoid the masses.

AF1 - May 2nd - we have committed to the tour and think it will be worth it, though your advice for bus/taxi DIY is good.

Grego - one of us had hip replacement but is mostly steady on her feet - are the steps really difficult ?

Sofiefluerie Agree - 'Dubrovniklady' on Ports board said they now accept Euros.

Edit: I went to Dubrovnik Card site for details.

Edited by Tedferg

Grego - one of us had hip replacement but is mostly steady on her feet - are the steps really difficult ?

Edit: I went to Dubrovnik Card site for details.

I'm not Grego but I walked half the walls (the water side) on October 15 after having my right hip replaced on June 21 and my left on July 12. I used a cane for stability. When the ticket takers at the bottom of the steps saw me they told me to go up as slowly as necessary. I wouldn't have wanted to try it if the steps had been wet but dry they were no problem. As soon as you get to the top of the steps you are rewarded with a gorgeous view.

I'm glad you went to the Dubrovnik Card site. If you decide to do Dubrovnik entirely DIY, it also includes public transportation.

You can spend quite a bit of time in the walled city. There are a couple great churches; one which was bombed during the 1990's and there are marks in the wall of the church; walking the wall is great, shops for exploring; plus some neat cafe's that face the water. I have visited a winery, also an aquaduct which was pretty neat

Sounds like the wall is a big highlight.

I have never done anything quite like that!

I will have to research how to walk a section of the wall, and which section.

Not sure I want to try the entire thing!

It would take over two hours if you walked the entire wall. There are some beautiful sights from the wall. The sea just below. Last time I walked the wall the Croatian water polo team was practicing in the water just below me. It was neat

Definitely walk the wall. We were with four others, two of whom had walked the wall before. My DH would not have climbed up the stairs, but our friends INSISTED. It was one of my all-time favorite views. We had a gorgeous day, not too hot. So happy we did it. My husband loved it too.